Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
LindenGarcia18
LindenGarcia18
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 7,472, Level: 57 Points: 7,472, Level: 57 Points: 7,472, Level: 57
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
My Mood: Happy
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
John Christy wrote an article about the perfect rep range for strength and size. His answer was 8 reps, but said anything from 5 to 12 would work beautifully. Wish I could find that article again.

My thoughts are that over a lifetime of lifting a person will want to visit low reps, moderate reps, and even high reps. Mix things up, what works today may not work as well a year from now. Explore and have fun, the only important thing is that you make progress within your given rep range.
Thanks OffRoad
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
leefarley
leefarley
lifts weights in his shed
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
My Mood: Lurking
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

i just pick a rep goal then push for as many reps as i can and useing a rep limt of 10reps, that i would imagine i'm working nearly all the rep ranges.

Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #13
Jamesw
Jamesw
who turned out the lights?
Brawn
Points: 1,398, Level: 20 Points: 1,398, Level: 20 Points: 1,398, Level: 20
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: plyo pistol
Jamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributorJamesw is a consistent contributor

The misperception of the masses can never be changed.

I aim for higher rep ranges when I want more of a cardiovascular response, but I also use a faster cadence. I have 2 cycles that I typically stick to. I lift heavy and I lift for power / explosiveness.
"When I see guys working out for cosmetic reasons, I see vanity exposing them in the worst way, as cartoon characters, billboards for imbalance and insecurity. Strength reveals itself through character." -Henry Rollins
Jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #14
TitanCT
TitanCT
throwing iron and eating pizza.
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

My Mood: Aggressive
TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
I'm now quite aware, that you don't need to stick to the typical bodybuilding rep and set ranges to build muscle, and am confident that I'll get bigger and stronger doing 5x5 workouts.

What I find weird though, is that many have a different opinion.

Some of you might remember my question a few months ago regarding the difference in powerlifters muscles, and bodybuilders.
btb gave me an in depth answer with pictures, comparing other bodybuilders to himself.
What he said is that bodybuilding is an illusion of body fat.
A powerlifter will have just as much if not more muscle mass than a bodybuilder, but bodybuilders have a lower body fat percentage making them appear bigger.

This is quite obviously the case, and after comparing bodybuilders physiques with powerlifters that decided to cut up, they look the same.

What I don't get is why many think you need to lift lighter weight for more reps to build muscle.
"low reps build strength, high build muscle" is typically what you hear.

I know this is a similar question to those before, but I'm asking now from a different point of view.
Why do so many people think this?
Is it just bro science?
Because there isn't any evidence to back it up.

A few months back this was the main question as you know that I was always seeking the answer to.
Having learned from you guys and been given a viable explanation, I'm just curious as to why so many people go by this theory.

just my 2 cents. my training encompasses many rep ranges from 5x5 to 5x25. as a bodybuilder type trainer, i try to hit both types of fibers as hard as possible and get as big a pump as i can. there truly is no magical rep range for growth or strength. john meadows talks about keeping up strength wise with powerlifters strength wise, back in his days training at west side. mix it up.

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Learn.Apply.Grow

www.advancedmusclescience.com

ForeRunnerLabs
www.forerunnerlabs.com/

The Lab
www.advancedmusclesciencelab.com//

"Abs on a skinny guy are like big boobs on a fat chick - they don't count." -Shelby Starnes
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook