Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100 Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100 Points: 1,515,053, Level: 100
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default RIP Nasser El Sonbaty - Dead Age 47

RIP Nasser El Sonbaty - Dead Age 47

Nasser El Sonbaty Dead at 47 - MuscleMag

Quote:
By Frank Hoffmann

Typically, I’m the last guy who’ll buy into any rumors lurking around on the internet, but when I heard that one of my favorite bodybuilders of all time may have suddenly passed away, I had to dig. I combed through every bodybuilding forum and exhausted every search engine in an attempt to disprove the tragic news that I so desperately wanted to be a hoax. Sadly, it has been confirmed that on March 20, 2013, Nasser El Sonbaty passed away at the age of 47. Sources confirm that he died in his sleep while in Egypt. He will truly be missed and remembered for the contributions he made to the sport of bodybuilding.

Before I ever became a bodybuilding fan, I was an admirer of Nasser El Sonbaty. I remember when was a kid, about fourteen years old, I stopped by a local convenience store to buy a slushy after playing with some friends. On my way out, I decided to check out the magazine rack and for the first time I picked up a bodybuilding magazine. I don’t recall who was on the cover, but as I flipped through the pages one bodybuilder in particular captured my attention– it was Nasser! I’ve been hooked on the sport ever since.

Nasser El Sonbaty was one of the true mass monsters of the ’90s. Wearing his signature spectacles, he would walk around at 315 lbs. with visible abs during the offseason and then shred down to 280 lbs just in time to dwarf his competition on stage. Personally, I think that Nasser is the greatest bodybuilder to never win The Sandow, and to this day feel that the 1997 Mr. Olympia was the biggest judging debacle in the history of the sport. Despite finishing second to an injury riddled and 5-time defending champion Dorian Yates, I still believe Nasser was the clear winner. Over his career, Nasser competed in over 50 IFBB sanctioned events with his biggest victory coming in 1999 at the Arnold Classic. His bodybuilding superstardom aside, Nasser was also a keen intellectual who stayed on top of the news and boasted advanced degrees in political science, history and sociology. Earlier this month, when all the past Arnold Classic champions were called out to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the show, I was disappointed that Nasser wasn’t there to take the stage. It would have been great to see the man one last time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nass.jpg
Views:	10088
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	7888  

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 136,639, Level: 100 Points: 136,639, Level: 100 Points: 136,639, Level: 100
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Wow. 47. RIP. Supposedly a very nice chap.

Wonder of it was BB related? I seem to remember T-Nation mentioning him in those grim 'Dead Pool' articles years ago.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,543, Level: 100 Points: 36,543, Level: 100 Points: 36,543, Level: 100
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quick google showed Shawn Ray touting kidney failure from an infection as probable cause. Who knows though.
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
gaspers04
gaspers04
is "Thickneck McBenchpress"
Max Brawn
Points: 17,092, Level: 83 Points: 17,092, Level: 83 Points: 17,092, Level: 83
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Brooding
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Damn, sad to hear.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,112, Level: 97 Points: 27,112, Level: 97 Points: 27,112, Level: 97
Activity: 84% Activity: 84% Activity: 84%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Way too young to die, way too young. My condolences to his family, friends, and followers.
Bench: 275 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1251 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 295 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1300 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2013, 03:32 AM   #6
IrishHitman
IrishHitman
will become a big sumvabitch in 2013
Max Brawn
Points: 6,200, Level: 51 Points: 6,200, Level: 51 Points: 6,200, Level: 51
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 8
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Chili Oil
My Mood: Cool
IrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beastIrishHitman is a lifting beast

When I first got into lifting for the sake of lifting, I picked up Arnold's Encyclopedia. The two guys that really jumped of the page at me were Lee Priest and Nasser. Always dug on the specs because I could identify with them. May seem silly to some of y'all, but it was a connection. RIP, and my thoughts are with the family.

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards."
~Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

1 March 2014
SQUAT: 650 lbs
BENCH: 340 lbs
DEADLIFT: 580 lbs
TOTAL: 1570 lbs
IrishHitman is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #7
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,079, Level: 77 Points: 14,079, Level: 77 Points: 14,079, Level: 77
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishHitman View Post
When I first got into lifting for the sake of lifting, I picked up Arnold's Encyclopedia. The two guys that really jumped of the page at me were Lee Priest and Nasser. Always dug on the specs because I could identify with them. May seem silly to some of y'all, but it was a connection. RIP, and my thoughts are with the family.
It was the exact same thing for me. Nasser and Priest were the pictures I always cut out to motivate myself when I was in high school. The two of them were perfection. This is very sad.

Share with Facebook