Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements > Supplement Reviews

Notices

Supplement Reviews Read and post reviews for popular bodybuilding supplements

Old 03-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
sleepingdog
sleepingdog
Some people just can't let sleepingdogs lie
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36 Points: 3,461, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: Heavy bar work
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Twisted
sleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributorsleepingdog is a dedicated contributor
Default Muscle Gauge Nutrition Pure Isolate Whey Protein

I recently ordered a 5lb tub of MGN whey, in rocky road flavor based on recommendation, from M&S. I settled on this because of the protein content per scoop, number or servings per tub, and overall cost of the product.

In true M&S fashion, my protein arrived in 5 days, well packaged and exactly as described. Perfect service.

The container was quite full, less wasted container than many products. Packaging was professional and concise. Nutritional info clearly listed, no ridiculous fine print or outlandish claims. Freshness seal was fully intact.

Initial impression was a good smell, fine powder, with no clumps.

I take my whey post workout. This is especially important on days where I finish prior to meal time, as my meal times are prescribed for me, and I'm usually quite hungry after lifting. Taking a shake eases the hunger prior to getting whole foods.

I've made a few shakes so far, with both water and milk. Either way mixes very easily, even using an empty water bottle as a shaker. No clumping, easy to drink consistency, similar to chocolate milk.

Taste. Taste is this products downfall. And not a small one. The flavor is something I can only guess would be similar to concentrated coffee flavoring. It's overpoweringly sweet. Almost nauseating. I'm having a hard time drinking the whole thing without a chaser of something that isn't sweet. The sucralose content is not listed as a numerical value, but it should be. Sucralose being one of the sweetest sugar substitutes approved for human consumption. Overbearing. Obnoxious. Punishment. Just a few words to describe the sweetness. And I'm one that enjoys candy and sugary drinks.

There was so much good happening up to the point where I actually drank the shakes, that I was shocked at this glaring error. Unfortunately, it's not one I can look past. This is a deal breaker for me on future purchases. I don't expect supplement to be a delightful treat, I consider it to be in the same league as medicine. Taste is backseat to function and value. This isn't just about taste though, it's an error on the manufacturers Parton assuming the consumer needs that much sweetener added to palate the drink.

Packaging 9/10
Mixing 10/10
Value 9/10
Taste 3/10

I want to like this product for all it's pros, but that one glaring problem will prevent me from purchasing it again until I've been shown that it has changed. I also cannot in good conscience recommend this to anyone else. I shared some with others who, without warning them of my issues, echoed the same complaint.

Jerod

Personal tips that I've learned along my still short journey:

Leave your ego at the door.
Prepare. Showing up dehydrated, hungry, and tired will guarantee failure.
Be ready to fight for that grinder of a PR.
Listen and learn. Absorb everything you can, and assimilate that knowledge.

Top Gym lifts:
Squat: 415lbs
Deads: 440lbs
Bench: 315lbs
sleepingdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
IronWill
IronWill
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34 Points: 3,099, Level: 34
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
My Mood: Relaxed
IronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beastIronWill is a lifting beast

They may have changed formula. I normally get the American Isolate in RR and like it. It's just been sold out every time I go to order.
IronWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,480, Level: 80 Points: 15,480, Level: 80 Points: 15,480, Level: 80
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

I found something similar with the Apple Cinnamon flavor. Overpoweringly sweet. The standard cinnamon bun was fine though. Ice Cream Sandwich MGN Synmax had no sweetener at all from what I could tell.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
KD5NFW
KD5NFW
aka Buttercup
13 in 15
Max Brawn
Points: 12,466, Level: 73 Points: 12,466, Level: 73 Points: 12,466, Level: 73
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: yes
Fav Supp: meat
My Mood: Mellow
KD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
I found something similar with the Apple Cinnamon flavor. Overpoweringly sweet. The standard cinnamon bun was fine though. Ice Cream Sandwich MGN Synmax had no sweetener at all from what I could tell.
I actually just received a tub of this this week Brute. For my personal taste even it is too sweet! The flavor is nice, and it dissolves soooo much better in my coffee than ON Gold Standard.
KD5NFW is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,480, Level: 80 Points: 15,480, Level: 80 Points: 15,480, Level: 80
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD5NFW View Post
I actually just received a tub of this this week Brute. For my personal taste even it is too sweet! The flavor is nice, and it dissolves soooo much better in my coffee than ON Gold Standard.
It does dissolve nicely. I use 1 scoop per 32 oz of coffee in general.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
Randoja
Randoja
was born to squat.