Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
triplag
triplag
mountainBear
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

triplag is off to a good starttriplag is off to a good starttriplag is off to a good start
Default Soy protein isolate

i recently bought a 1.5lb tub of universal's advanced soy pro protein. it has soy protein isolate in it.

is taking soy protein powder bad for guys trying to build size and strength?

many folks bashing soy for estrogenic effects?
triplag is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
SecondsOut
SecondsOut
posted a post in this thread. He did posting to you.
Max Brawn
Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26 Points: 1,960, Level: 26
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Oxidane
My Mood: Lurking
SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

i think this is a great question. i'm subbed for some serious replies. i've heard the same thing about it raising estrogen and about animal proteins being higher quality. but then i've heard that that's just bs, and there's also this chart on Wikipedia:

PDCAAS value of protein

A PDCAAS value of 1 is the highest, and 0 the lowest. The table shows the ratings of selected foods. [2][3][4] [5]

1.00 casein (milk protein)
1.00 egg white
1.00 soy protein
1.00 whey (milk protein)
0.99 mycoprotein
0.92 beef
0.91 soybeans
0.78 chickpeas
0.76 fruits
0.75 black beans
0.73 vegetables
0.70 Other legumes
0.59 cereals and derivatives
0.52 peanuts
0.42 whole wheat

soy protein absorbs at a higher rate than beef?
what's most striking, though, is the low absorption of peanuts. so if 1 serving of peanuts contains 7g of protein, your body only gets about 3.5g of that?
yeah, so i'm not sure what to think either.

Last edited by SecondsOut; 03-03-2013 at 05:21 PM.
SecondsOut is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2013, 05:56 AM   #3
triplag
triplag
mountainBear

triplag is off to a good starttriplag is off to a good starttriplag is off to a good start

i think even if some say that soy has estrogen elevating properties it might be true for foods like tofu and soya beans... and soy protein isolate powder is probably a different deal... at least id like to believe so!!

because in a protein powder youre consuming only protein right? excluding all other organic material like when you eat tofu or drink soy milk??

awaiting responses...

Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #4
leefarley
leefarley
lifts weights in his shed
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

me personley i stay away from soy protein.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #5
Dray
Dray
is getting stronger
Max Brawn
Points: 9,381, Level: 65 Points: 9,381, Level: 65 Points: 9,381, Level: 65
Activity: 80% Activity: 80% Activity: 80%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: cgbp
Fav Supp: rare steak
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

From what little I understand, it would seem all edible plant matter contains or releases (however it works) the same thing, if in varied amounts. In other words, might want to stay away from yer veges too, then! On a more serious note - again, to the best of my knowledge - the fear campaign has been all but completely debunked.

Now, I personally don't like soy much (other than soy sauce, which is tasty enough), but I doubt it would have any appreciable negative impact on strength or anything else that's considered manly.

When it comes to amino acid profiles, I seem to recall that eggs are one of the very best (if you have to choose between one and another, I mean). So, try egg white protein...? Couuld be misremembering though.

edit: Oops. A lot of plant matter, but NOT all. Coffee does, for example.

Last edited by Dray; 03-04-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
SecondsOut
SecondsOut
Max Brawn

SecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beastSecondsOut is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplag View Post
because in a protein powder youre consuming only protein right? excluding all other organic material like when you eat tofu or drink soy milk??
yes, but "protein" is a category of chemical, not a chemical in and of itself. isolating the protein in soy doesn't give you the same "thing" as isolating the protein in egg or milk. they're all proteins and should theoretically do the job of proteins, but they interact with your body in different ways. and yes, that goes for the actual proteins themselves, in isolation from all other organic material.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
triplag
triplag
mountainBear

Egg whites and whole eggs are great... I mean which serious strength athelete or bodybuilder does'nt have some eggs in their arsenal...
Guess Soy protein isolate only in the powder form and not soy protein containing foods could be a welcome addition??? and the powder does'nt taste all that bad, i mean has anybody even tasted tofu?? it tastes horrbile.. at least IMO

Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #8
triplag
triplag
mountainBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondsOut View Post
yes, but "protein" is a category of chemical, not a chemical in and of itself. isolating the protein in soy doesn't give you the same "thing" as isolating the protein in egg or milk. they're all proteins and should theoretically do the job of proteins, but they interact with your body in different ways. and yes, that goes for the actual proteins themselves, in isolation from all other organic material.

hmmm.... so after finishing this tub no more soy!!
flush it all awaY!!!!!

Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
SecondsOut
SecondsOut
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplag View Post
hmmm.... so after finishing this tub no more soy!!
flush it all awaY!!!!!
well no, not necessarily. i really don't know and am hoping we get some authoritative responses. i'm just stating that "protein is protein" isn't really true. proteins are all different, even when isolated from other food constituents.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,053, Level: 79 Points: 15,053, Level: 79 Points: 15,053, Level: 79
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Best video I've seen on it.

Also, Derek Poundstone uses it.