Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #21
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by datlittleguy View Post
Due to inflexibility in my hip flexors, I am not able to doll full squats with good form. So should I do box squat until I feel ready to try full squats. I am also doing multiple types stretches right now to try to become more flexible.
Are you trying to do wide stance or narrow stance squats?

Also, do you have a video of your squat form?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #22
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayfitness View Post
What is a good beginner program I have been fallowing icecreamfitness's 5x5 for beginners but it is starting to wear me out after using it for the past 3 weeks with the 2 hour workouts
Try this, see what you think.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/wor...y-workout.html

Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #23
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
Beyond recovery, what are some other considerations for the over -forty, lifter?

How much do you feel that age affects (i.e. limits) lift progression and or bodyweight changes for the older versus young lifter?
Well I think there are several benefits an over forty lifter has. They know their bodies well, and their limitations. They also don't have this belief that they are invincible, which can be beneficial as well.

The main limitation is that they do not have a fast metabolism. This commands a more precise eating plan.

I don't generally recommend starting with programs like Starting Strength. It might be better to ease into a lower frequency approach, learn form and then go more frequently as confidence and conditioning improve.

I also don't think over-40s should start with crazy volume, nor crazy splits. 2-3 days per week is plenty.

Plan for the long haul, eat smart, go slow and gains will come. generic, general advice right?

Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #24
CroatianSensation
CroatianSensation
has no status.
CroatianSensation
Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: Inspired
CroatianSensation is off to a bad start

Hey Steve, I'm just confused about the whole gaining bulk and fat loss at the same time. I'm 6 feet and i weight 190 pounds. I've lost 15 pounds of fat through cardio, strict diet and the weight lifting plan you have up on M&S, the 4 Day Maximum Mass Workout, in the last two months. In short what diet or weight training plan do i have to follow to get DEFINED muscles. I believe I'm almost passed the weight loss diet and now i want to start to bulk in such a way the i have low body fat and DEFINED muscles. I wanna be able to see those abs! Thanks!
CroatianSensation is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #25
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroatianSensation View Post
Hey Steve, I'm just confused about the whole gaining bulk and fat loss at the same time. I'm 6 feet and i weight 190 pounds. I've lost 15 pounds of fat through cardio, strict diet and the weight lifting plan you have up on M&S, the 4 Day Maximum Mass Workout, in the last two months. In short what diet or weight training plan do i have to follow to get DEFINED muscles. I believe I'm almost passed the weight loss diet and now i want to start to bulk in such a way the i have low body fat and DEFINED muscles. I wanna be able to see those abs! Thanks!
Hi CS,

Most guys simply aren't going to do both well, if at all, at the same time. Beginners can sometimes gain muscle while losing fat, but all this is generally sub-optimal. It's like trying to hit 2 targets with one bullet.

Best to do like you are doing - lost the fat you want to lose while training for muscle. that is the only thing you can control. You can't get weak while cutting or else you will lose muscle.

Let me ask where your current strength levels are, how many calories are you eating per day and how many grams of protein per day? Also what is your age?

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-01-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #26
CroatianSensation
CroatianSensation
has no status.
CroatianSensation
Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1

CroatianSensation is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Hi CS,

Most guys simply aren't going to do both well, if at all, at the same time. Beginners can sometimes gain muscle while losing fat, but all this is generally sub-optimal. It's like trying to hit 2 targets with one bullet.

Best to do like you are doing - lost the fat you want to lose while training for muscle. that is the only thing you can control. You can't get weak while cutting or else you will lose muscle.

Let me ask where your current strength levels are, how many calories are you eating per day and how many grams of protein per day? Also what is your age?
Im 19 years old. I'm a newbie.Started two months ago and have gotten real into it. I can bench press Bar+45 each side 10 times. I can dead-lift Bar+ 55 each side 5 times for 2 reps. And i can Squat the Bar+65 on each side for 10 reps. As for Calorie intake I've never actually measured accurately but i believe its about anywhere from 2000-2500 (all of this being healthy foods, no junk food, no pop, just water etc.) For Protein Id say about 100g on days that i don't work out and 140g on days that i do. Two scoops of whey everyday and an extra two after work out.
CroatianSensation is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #27
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroatianSensation View Post
Im 19 years old. I'm a newbie.Started two months ago and have gotten real into it. I can bench press Bar+45 each side 10 times. I can dead-lift Bar+ 55 each side 5 times for 2 reps. And i can Squat the Bar+65 on each side for 10 reps. As for Calorie intake I've never actually measured accurately but i believe its about anywhere from 2000-2500 (all of this being healthy foods, no junk food, no pop, just water etc.) For Protein Id say about 100g on days that i don't work out and 140g on days that i do. Two scoops of whey everyday and an extra two after work out.
Hi CS,

At your age I don't recommend "cutting", but rather training for muscle size, progression of weight (strength), while eating mostly clean foods to satiety.

Understand that getting shredded is not a sustainable condition. Also know that prolonged dieting at your age is simply not wise.

I hope you will reconsider, and instead pursue muscle building.

I recommend watching this video:

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-01-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #28
datlittleguy
datlittleguy
has no status.
Points: 217, Level: 4 Points: 217, Level: 4 Points: 217, Level: 4

Training Exp: very little
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: Meat
datlittleguy is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Are you trying to do wide stance or narrow stance squats?

Also, do you have a video of your squat form?
I recently hurt my back playing rugby and so I will film myself as soon as I feel healthy. I am also doing wide stance squats I beleive. Thanks for the quick reply
datlittleguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #29
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by datlittleguy View Post
I recently hurt my back playing rugby and so I will film myself as soon as I feel healthy. I am also doing wide stance squats I beleive. Thanks for the quick reply
I had a feeling you were wide stance squatting

Most likely the stance width is your issue. I am not a fan of wide stance squats until conventional stance are reasonably mastered, and a base strength has been built.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-03-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #30
RGRthat
RGRthat
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16 Points: 907, Level: 16

Training Exp: none
Training Type: Chaos & Pain
Fav Supp: Muscle Marinade
RGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributorRGRthat is a dedicated contributor

With my workout plan I normally get 3 days a week. I do the basics on 2 days (squat, bench, deadlift, then shoulder press or push-press if I have time) and I strongman day playing with kegs half full of sand. What are some good accessory workouts I could do when I have time to strengthen my core lifts? I just hate feeling like I still have some energy left.

I have also heard goblet squats are good for working on squat depth and form. Is this true and could you recommend something else?
Deadlift 425
Snatch 155
Clean & Jerk 225

Drunk RGR Training http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...-training.html
RGRthat is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook