Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Davis
Davis
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 4,048, Level: 40 Points: 4,048, Level: 40 Points: 4,048, Level: 40
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 1 day
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast
Default Stop lifting with mono- What I would've done now

I've talked about it some on these forums in the past months, and as I've tried to get back into lifting I've had some setbacks with minor injury that has stopped me in my tracks each time. However, my doctors said not to lift for a few months or I my spleen would rupture. So, knowing what I know now, here's what I would have done differently:

I would obviously not be going as much volume as I was in the 90%+ range. Shoot, I wouldn't even lift that heavy. Would I have taken a break? Yes, for two weeks. Would I have then started to lift light? Yes. Here's what happened: I already have a career goal that requires me to sit several hours a day(piano playing), and when I added the extra "rest and inactivity" my doctors suggested, I became weak all over. Not only were my muscles weak, but everything was. I became lazy. I became apathetic towards my health. I've always been a bit apathetic, but even more so then. Emotions built up in me that I somehow got rid of with the lifting. At least, I imagine that's what happened. I didn't experience the same things before hand. Now, I have also been so inactive for so long, that it has messed up my mobility. I can easily squat well below parallel and do the same type of movements before, but with less ease. Now this is causing me injury somewhere each time I try to lift. Well, not every time... However, the lessened mobility is a tough fix I have found. Maybe it won't be much longer. I don't know. I'm just gonna keep trying because it's a hobby I love.

Also, I did try to come back some in the past, but each time let my mind and my fear get to me of what might happen if I really started going again. I figured this thread might be of use to someone if they ever come into the same situation. I believe an already active person probably will need a little less recovery and "lay on your ass" time than someone else. But hey, each person is different.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I've been having health issues since July and can sympathise; it's the mental battle to get back to where we left off from that's sometimes the hardest hurdle to overcome, because it seems to take twice as much, if not more, mental and physical energy the second or thrid time around...or maybe that's just because we are already aware of how much it took to get to where we were the first time; that's possible.

Yesterday, I trained, I now ache, but I also took things easier than I had planned. My theory is, I have the time, if I rush in maybe I'll end up further back than I would have been had I started slow.

One day at a time and if things flare up again, I'll try to do at least a minimal session of some sort which may not be something that lifters would consider, as little things that can keep us at a stable base or close to a health base that has been built up are often overlooked in the grand scheme of things and wanting to lift weight or push hard.

Last edited by 5kgLifter; 12-18-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: comma :)
5kgLifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
I WILL
I WILL
says"will there be snacks?"
Max Brawn
Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45 Points: 5,091, Level: 45
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 2-4 years 2 serious
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Romanian Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Inspired
I WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master memberI WILL is a master member

Lightbulb

i can relate it is hard when one has health issues knowing how much you have accomplished and to watch it slip away out of your control is no picnic,but i have this motto:THIS TOO SHALL PASS things always get better, but it is best to keep moving because in the long run it will make you feel better do what you can and listen to your body that would be my advice

MAB Sponsored Athlete

My Website: Nutrition Beast
I WILL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
roundbus
roundbus
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 273, Level: 5 Points: 273, Level: 5 Points: 273, Level: 5
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

roundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality posts

I can understand how hard it would be to get back into lifting after a setback like mono.
roundbus is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook