Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
gymjunkie
gymjunkie
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 252, Level: 5 Points: 252, Level: 5 Points: 252, Level: 5
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

gymjunkie has made some quality postsgymjunkie has made some quality postsgymjunkie has made some quality postsgymjunkie has made some quality postsgymjunkie has made some quality postsgymjunkie has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
You can't live your life caring about what people think Just do what makes you happy.
Exactly. Do what you want to do and do not care if anyone is in your way. You need to be happy and deserve that.
gymjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
Chillen
Chillen
Current Pic/Nov 30th, 2012: Rocken Lean
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
My Mood: Inspired
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samW View Post
I was talking to a friend and said that I was going to get into body building so I could have more self esteem. She was like why do you want to do that? Do you realize you will look gross all muscular and all? Why do people have to be this way and what can you say to them when they say it?
Opinions in relation to one's goal wants are like butt holes, everyone has one: Personally I don't give a damn what people think about my personal fitness goals. One of the beauties of lifting iron or having other exercise activities, is that these provide a "plethora of different goal opportunities" to select from based on---what is within your own heart or other personal need (such as medical, etc). I remember when I was fricken fat in my late 40's and all the back pain and other pain I had experienced prior to setting fitness goals. Since then I have learned what my body likes and responds well too, and my body "likes" being lean and pays it forward in making me feel great nearly every day and without--age related pain, and looking and feeling far better than most people half my age. I train for endurance, overall fitness, and strength, and when you add in consistency and dietary elements, one tends to look like they have these goals, and I like my abs, and the ones that do not can--suck it. . I listen to educational opportnuties, and not uneducated responses or inept person not in the know. Trust me on that.

Don

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 12-16-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Chillen is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #13
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 136,216, Level: 100 Points: 136,216, Level: 100 Points: 136,216, Level: 100
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
I was talking to a friend and said that I was going to get into body building so I could have more self esteem. She was like why do you want to do that? Do you realize you will look gross all muscular and all? Why do people have to be this way and what can you say to them when they say it?
Why do people have to be what way? From your account she's expressing an opinion, which she is quite entitled to do, and which you are equally at liberty to ignore.

Many people don't like the bodybuilder shape, particularly when it's very big guys approaching contest shape. It just looks ungainly, out of proportion and unnatural to them. What you could explain, if you have the patience, is that 'bodybuilder' could mean a whole variety of different body shapes. Show her some pictures of Steve Reeves and see if she thinks that looks gross.

If you want to bodybuild, and you feel it will help you feel bettter about yourself - good for you, go ahead and do it. But you can't expect everyone to think it's a worthwhile goal.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 136,216, Level: 100 Points: 136,216, Level: 100 Points: 136,216, Level: 100

Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymjunkie View Post
Exactly. Do what you want to do and do not care if anyone is in your way. You need to be happy and deserve that.
Easy, tiger. Have you thought this statement through?

Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #15
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

It has to be an inner pursuit, not an external one. If your self-esteem is based on your muscles and your strength, how are you going to feel when you run into the many, many, many guys that are twice as strong as you or twice as big as you. Will these individuals squash your self-esteem?

The pursuit of strength and size should be a life long journey that brings fulfillment in the steps along the way. Do not look for admiration from others to validate your own self worth. There just aren't that many people in your life that will care that you get bigger and stronger, and those that do care just aren't really worth it.

Strength and size are worthy goals, just don't base your self-esteem on such things. Get an education, marry a fine woman, raise respectable kids; these are goals worthy of EVERYBODY's admiration.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #16
leefarley
leefarley
lifts weights in his shed
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
My Mood: Lurking
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

all i can say is do what you have to do.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #17
lowcarbguy
lowcarbguy
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 164, Level: 3 Points: 164, Level: 3 Points: 164, Level: 3
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

lowcarbguy is off to a good startlowcarbguy is off to a good startlowcarbguy is off to a good start

Quote:
Seems to me like she is trying to bring your self esteem down. Do not let her words be the deciding factor in what you do. Do what makes you happy and that is all that matters.
lowcarbguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #18
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Maybe I have a shorter memory than the rest but pretty sure samW is a female which is why the question is more of an annoyance about "becoming/looking muscular or gross".

Sam, you're gonna come across lots of that kind of rubbish and you're going to have to learn to ignore and reject it.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #19
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Maybe I have a shorter memory than the rest but pretty sure samW is a female
Oh, what I said still applies though; don't let working out dictate your self-esteem, let it enhance the great person you already are.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #20
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Show her some pictures of Steve Reeves and see if she thinks that looks gross.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Maybe I have a shorter memory than the rest but pretty sure samW is a female which is why the question is more of an annoyance about "becoming/looking muscular or gross".
Ah. Maybe not Reeves then. Show her a picture of Lisa Lyon instead.

Share with Facebook