Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health > Kettlebell Training

Notices

Kettlebell Training Discuss Kettlebell Training and Workouts

Old 11-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
roundbus
roundbus
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 273, Level: 5 Points: 273, Level: 5 Points: 273, Level: 5
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

roundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality postsroundbus has made some quality posts
Default Never lifted before

I have never lifted before but want to get into it. Would starting out with kettlebells be a good move for me?
roundbus is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Start out with simple bodyweight movements; body squats, lunges, back raises, chin-ups, push-ups, bar dips, sit-ups, etc. No sense lifting extra weight if you can't move your own bodyweight effectively..
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
SCStrong
SCStrong
blamed it on the dog
Max Brawn
Points: 3,742, Level: 38 Points: 3,742, Level: 38 Points: 3,742, Level: 38
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Seared Beast
My Mood: Aggressive
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Start out with simple bodyweight movements; body squats, lunges, back raises, chin-ups, push-ups, bar dips, sit-ups, etc. No sense lifting extra weight if you can't move your own bodyweight effectively..
Great advice! Get yourself used to exercising and then work your way into the weighted routines .... Now, would be a good time to check out some of Btb's recommended reading material. ( Can be found here, on the forum) Get some knowledge and progress correctly. Best of luck to you.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
SCStrong
SCStrong
blamed it on the dog
Max Brawn
Points: 3,742, Level: 38 Points: 3,742, Level: 38 Points: 3,742, Level: 38
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: One more than last year
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: The ones that make me cry
Fav Supp: Seared Beast
My Mood: Aggressive
SCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master memberSCStrong is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
The muscle magazines do a good job of messing up your head. They make you believe that volume workouts are the only solution to muscle building, and that 5-6 day splits are the only way lifters have ever trained.

As a beginner, you owe it to yourself to read these books. They are classics, and are written by experienced natural coaches. These books promote simple, basic and effective training.

It is up to you how you train. We must all learn our bodies and evolve training to fit our needs. This thread does not exist to promote any style of training. It exists to educate you on mainstream training ideas that you may never have heard about.

Purchase these books, study these books and try the workouts in these books. They will help you much more then any muscle mag routine or article.

Real Strength Real Muscle

by John Christy

Real Strength Real Muscle - Remembering John

Brawn, 3rd Edition

by Stuart McRobert

Amazon.com: Brawn, 3rd Edition (9789963916313): Stuart McRobert: Books

Weight Training Technique

by Stuart McRobert

Amazon.com: Insider's Tell-All Handbook on Weight-Training Technique: Illustrated Step-by-step Guide to Perfecting Your Exercise Form for Injury-free Maximum Gains, 3rd Edition (9789963916320): Stuart McRobert: Books

Starting Strength

by Mark Rippetoe

Amazon.com: Starting Strength (2nd edition) (9780976805427): Mark Rippetoe, Lon Kilgore: Books

Never Let Go

by Dan John

Amazon.com: Never Let Go: A Philosophy of Lifting, Living and Learning (9781931046381): Dan John, Pavel Tsatsouline, Dave Draper: Books

Super Squats

by Randall Strossen

Amazon.com: Super Squats: How to Gain 30 Pounds of Muscle in 6 Weeks (9780926888005): Randall J. Strossen (Ph.D.): Books

The Complete Keys to Progress

by John McCallum

Amazon.com: THE Complete Keys to Progress (9780926888012): John McCallum: Books
This was the list I was referring to.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
sistacatty
sistacatty
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 592, Level: 11 Points: 592, Level: 11 Points: 592, Level: 11
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

sistacatty has made some good postssistacatty has made some good postssistacatty has made some good postssistacatty has made some good postssistacatty has made some good postssistacatty has made some good postssistacatty has made some good postssistacatty has made some good postssistacatty has made some good posts

Wow after reading this it just turns things around for me. I always thought that in order to get fit and the defintion that I wanted I needed to work out and lift every day. Guess I will have to look into the material on this site to set me straight.
sistacatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundbus View Post
I have never lifted before but want to get into it. Would starting out with kettlebells be a good move for me?
If you want to work with kettlebells then the answer is yes; bodyweight is fine but there's nothing wrong with adding 20lbs to a squat (assuming the lighter KBs are used).

Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
samW
samW
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11 Points: 599, Level: 11
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

samW has made some good postssamW has made some good postssamW has made some good postssamW has made some good postssamW has made some good postssamW has made some good postssamW has made some good postssamW has made some good postssamW has made some good postssamW has made some good postssamW has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
If you want to work with kettlebells then the answer is yes; bodyweight is fine but there's nothing wrong with adding 20lbs to a squat (assuming the lighter KBs are used).
Is that a kettlebell in your avatar? I have never heard of them. Where would I find them?
samW is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samW View Post
Is that a kettlebell in your avatar? I have never heard of them. Where would I find them?
Yes, that's an 8kg KB, I'm showing off lifting it with my little finger Not sure where, I assume you're in USA?? I'm in the UK, but some of the other guys could advise a little better...ebay, amazon etc as well as Walmart (maybe, not sure), exercise equipment shops will also generally stock them. Hope that helps.

Share with Facebook