Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > General > General Board

Notices

General Board You can talk about anything here. Life, sports, rants, whatever.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!
Default Screw diet!

Okey dokey...now I have your attention

Today we met a 78 y/o who was digging massive weeds from her garden with a garden fork, earlier in the day, spent around 5 hours in total doing hard graft. She mentioned another mutual friend that had planted a small handful of bulbs in her own mini garden and who as a result was tired afterwards.

The 78 y/o, though a celiac, eats a balanced diet, meat, veggies etc.
The younger 60 y/o is a vegetarian who eats mostly pasta, from what we gather and has always seemed tired throughout the past 15 years.

Whilst some vegetarians do understand the principles of how to balance their diets well, this one obviously doesn't and it shows in her continual lack of energy.

So, although the title states "Screw diet!" it was to highlight that diet is, to the contrary, very important.

I'm guessing this would have had more impact had it stated bodybuilder A and bodybuilder B; the entire point is it's still relevant.

Last edited by 5kgLifter; 10-30-2012 at 04:19 PM.
5kgLifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,521,010, Level: 100 Points: 1,521,010, Level: 100 Points: 1,521,010, Level: 100
Activity: 52% Activity: 52% Activity: 52%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Very relevant point.

Just as there aren't many individuals eating "normally" that can cook, there aren't many vegetarians who learn how to cook and balance their intake.

One thing I've learned from eating a low carb diet is that learning to cook, and learning how to combine what you can eat, is very important.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
dossas
dossas
On a long term quest to make my neck and the space btw my shoulder blades disappear.
Brawn
Points: 931, Level: 16 Points: 931, Level: 16 Points: 931, Level: 16
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 3ish
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: My squat rack
dossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributor

Did anyone ever see the episode of Dr. Oz (I think it was on Oprah though) where he goes around the world to areas where the average age of people was the highest? Balanced diet of natural foods, sense of belonging to community, active lifestyle, etc (I can't remember all of the markers), contributed to the happiest, healthiest, and longest life.
dossas is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
dossas
dossas
On a long term quest to make my neck and the space btw my shoulder blades disappear.
Brawn

dossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributordossas is a dedicated contributor

I just found the article version of it. He called in the "Blue Zones". It is where you find the largest numbers of people who live to 100 years old. The thing is that the people are also active, strong, and healthy. I remember him being in Costa Rica with this family in the jungle. It was wild to see like a 65 yr old granddaughter, at home with 90+ yr old grandparents. He showed how this old man tended his "yard". He used a machete to chop through the undergrowth. He even lifted the mans shirt to show the development of his muscles. He shows a 94 yr old heart surgeon, and a 103 yr old women using dumbells to work out in California, I found it definitely interesting.

Last edited by dossas; 10-31-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

A balanced diet don't just mean the food. It has to be balance with your activity's also.

Good post 5K.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,330, Level: 79 Points: 15,330, Level: 79 Points: 15,330, Level: 79
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Nice post Babs. And to Rich's point, this is huge. Eating for a job in construction is a whole different animal than if you work at a desk, even if you put a lot of time in at the gym.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,521,010, Level: 100 Points: 1,521,010, Level: 100 Points: 1,521,010, Level: 100
Activity: 52% Activity: 52% Activity: 52%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dossas View Post
Did anyone ever see the episode of Dr. Oz (I think it was on Oprah though) where he goes around the world to areas where the average age of people was the highest? Balanced diet of natural foods, sense of belonging to community, active lifestyle, etc (I can't remember all of the markers), contributed to the happiest, healthiest, and longest life.
Read Nutritional Degeneration by Weston Price. It's basically the same deal. He went out to find why the modern diet was producing such horrible teeth and found little incidences of many diseases among peoples who stuck to natural, unprocessed foods with little to no additives, etc.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
dossas
dossas
Brawn

Thx BTB.

Very true Rich & Brute. Your eating has to match your activity levels - whether work &/or physical activity.

I also liked the how the article emphasized stronger bonds with family/friends/community as well. I think these add a different sense of purpose to life.

Share with Facebook