Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:48 AM   #1
leefarley
leefarley
lifts weights in his shed
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
My Mood: Lurking
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member
Default cutting on the warrior diet

i'm going on a cut and thinking about using the warrior diet has any one else used the warrior diet it seems like something that would suit me.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

It tends to get a mixed reception, as evident by most of the IF threads here. From my own personal EXPERIENCE however it has worked for me.

Just highlighting that there, for people who might want to comment without ever having tried it.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarley View Post
i'm going on a cut and thinking about using the warrior diet has any one else used the warrior diet it seems like something that would suit me.
My main advice is monitor your calories like any other cut, and to consider adding 2-3 whey isolate shakes (water only) and/or BCAAs during the underfeeding window. Ori Hofmekler, the author of the WD, recommended something like this to anyone interested in maximum mass retention while cutting.

Wesley Silveira, an author and someone I consider to be an reputable source, has used a fasting protocol with many folks he trained, has seen success with BCAAs alone. How you use BCAAs would depend on when you train relative to when you break the fast.

I have used Ori's variation on fasting for over 5 years now. As long as I keep some protein in the underfeeding window I have no issues with mass loss. I spent 6 months in 2009-2010 cutting using this protocol and it worked well. Before that I cut on fasting in 2007 but the weight loss was too rapid.

That's another thing you need to be careful of, and the reason I recommend monitoring calories.

It certainly will work for some folks without BCAAs or morning protein. Wesley Silveria noted this in his book. With that said, it's a simple safeguard, and in my opinion, a wise one if muscle retention is a the primary goal.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-27-2012 at 08:10 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,377, Level: 97 Points: 26,377, Level: 97 Points: 26,377, Level: 97
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

The one thing I have found, by my own experience and talking with others, is the tendency to not count calories or macros closely. End result is they just prolong their overeating and still end up taking in too many calories.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
Shorts
Shorts
is chasing Elite!
Hulk Smash!
Max Brawn
Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: FOOD, nom nom
My Mood: Inspired
Shorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machineShorts is a lifting machine

From my experience, is it what works for me best when trying to cut weight. I am actually on it now, this will be my second time going through it. It fits my thought process perfectly and I will also recommend that you get those shakes in at 1 or 2 times during your underfeeding window, it does help.

I run it using a daily zig-zag style diet in terms of macros, but I feel that you have to be in tune with your average daily intake to preserve what you have to run it this way. If you are just looking for a good cut, run it a couple hundred cals under maintenance and off you go.

Class I Total @ 198: 525/335/600 (1460)

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training.... What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
-Socrates
Shorts is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100 Points: 1,519,086, Level: 100
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
The one thing I have found, by my own experience and talking with others, is the tendency to not count calories or macros closely. End result is they just prolong their overeating and still end up taking in too many calories.
Right, excellent point.

Or if they are younger with lightning fast metabolisms, I think it can also be easier to undereat. I ran into that in 2007 when I was working as a machinist using fasting. I lose 48ish pounds in 2 months and about 7 of it was muscle.

Some wise bodybuilder once said...the more accurate you want the end result to be, the more precise you must diet. This applies to any eating style if muscle retention is the goal.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook