Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Workouts

Notices

Workouts Database of workouts, and workout related resources.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #21
Bodybygamma
Bodybygamma
No B.S. approach
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
My Mood: Aggressive
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Awesome post Tony. I am going to merge it with this Wendler stickied post if you don't mind.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/beg...beginners.html
No problem-o, that was actually what I had intended.

Also a good short article on programing

Programming
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2011, 06:03 AM   #22
Bodybygamma
Bodybygamma
No B.S. approach
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Default Wendler's "Beginner Modification"

T NATION | Blood and Chalk Vol 9: Jim Wendler Talks Big Weights

T NATION: I'm a raw beginner and hyped to try 5/3/1. Should I make any changes in frequency, volume, etc.?

Jim Wendler: Generally, I tell everyone to just do the program as is, regardless of training age.

Of course, if you're a trainer and are using the program with a novice athlete or someone new to training, simply use your experience to make whatever changes are required though there shouldn't be many.

Now if you're a beginner and are working out without any guidance whatsoever, it's probably best to just stick with the basic program. One of the worst things a young lifter can do is take advice from other beginners on message boards they usually have all the advice and none of the experience.

Below is one beginner modification that's permissible, and effective. It's a subtle, easy way to add in some extra work on the main lifts without compromising the program or the philosophies it was built upon.

You perform a full-body routine, three days a week. Full body strength routines are the best way for novice lifters to quickly get strong, provided the program is non-retarded (i.e. adheres to an intelligent progression system).

Instead of just one main lift per workout (using the 5/3/1 set-up), two main lifts are used for additional weekly exposures. The second main lift, however, should not be performed 5/3/1 style; instead, use a standard 3 sets of 5 reps, starting at 55% of your training 1RM for the first set of 5 and increasing the weight by 10% each successive set.

The exception is the deadlifting day with presses as the second lift. Just do 5/3/1 here across the board.

Monday
Squat 5/3/1 sets/reps
Bench 55%x5, 65x5%, 75%x5
Assistance work

Wednesday
Deadlift 5/3/1 sets/reps
Press 5/3/1 sets/reps
Assistance work

Friday
Bench 5/3/1 sets/reps
Squat 55%x5, 65%x5, 75%x5
Assistance work

The program is set up the same way taking 90% of your max and working up slowly. All percentages are based on that training max.

The first thing I'll be asked is, "What do I do for assistance work?" Because you're doing a full body routine each day and using compound lifts, you need to keep the assistance work to a minimum. Chins, dips, back raises, neck work, and curls will serve you well. Stick with that.

The above program is nothing revolutionary, but it's effective. When you're given a training max and the exact percentages to use every workout, it removes all doubt as to what's heavy, medium, or light. This is simple and easy to use for any beginner.

Intermediate lifters, provided the percentages on the non-5/3/1 days are lowered by 10 percent each set, can also use this basic structure. (As you get more experienced, you can't handle the extra work at a heavier percentage.)

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #23
Bodybygamma
Bodybygamma
No B.S. approach
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Default Wendler on Grip

T NATION: What are some easy and basic ways to improve grip strength?

JW: One thing that became a huge problem for me during the last few years I competed in powerlifting (not counting the raw meet I did last July) was my grip strength. I never had a problem with my grip before but as the years wore on, my grip slowly got worse. Looking back, I think I figured out some of the things that I did wrong.

Here's the top five mistakes I made that resulted in my grip getting weaker:

Not doing reps on pulling exercises, specifically deadlifts and cleans. This one change is the easiest and best way to actually get stronger and make progress in your grip (and your deadlift). As soon as I fell for the "singles build strength myth," my grip was 100% sewer filth. Do some reps and build some strength.

Do rope/towel chins. I started doing towel chins in college and this made a huge difference in my pulling strength, grip, and overall strength. To do a towel chin, simply drape two towels over a chin bar, bring the ends together, and twist them. Some people also tape up the ends with athletic tape to give them a place to put the hands. From there, just hang on and pull up. Simple, yes, but not easy to do especially if your grip is awful and your bodyweight is 3-oh-Fat.

Kroc rows. This has been explained countless times, but if your grip strength sucks, do Kroc rows as your second exercise. A Kroc row is nothing more than a high rep, one-arm dumbbell row. Begin with one warm-up set of 10 reps with an easy weight. After that, pick the heaviest weight you can do for 20-50 reps and blast away. Make sure to do both arms. (I suppose that goes without saying but you never know.) Kroc rows will make your grip awesome as well as train your upper back and lats to a great degree.

Do your "boring but big" assistance sets with an overhand grip. This modification may limit the amount of weight you can do initially, but your grip will get stronger and adapt.

Lose weight. I don't have the biggest hands in the world but when I got bigger, my palms turned into paws and my fingers became sausages. This killed my grip strength. So if you have small hands and things jiggle when you even THINK about jogging, you're fat. Lose some fat and get stronger. Your grip and the mirror will thank you.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2011, 06:06 AM   #24
Bodybygamma
Bodybygamma
No B.S. approach
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Default Wendler on Life

T NATION: Coaches say when your personal life gets shitty, you should train, train, and train. Easier said than done. What are your thoughts on this and what do you do when your personal life interferes with your training?

JW: I think we've all been in situations that completely drain you emotionally, physically, and mentally. It could be from school, death, divorce, money woes, or significant other stress. What I've always done is make sure lifting remains a huge part of my life, even if just for the soul-soothing regularity of being somewhere and doing something that I can control.

One important lesson that I've learned is when things get out of hand in life, keep the things that you can control, controlled. This keeps you from going insane.

The other thing that I've always done, especially during hectic times, is to always prioritize the main lifts and nothing else. So during the football season, I'd just make sure to squat, bench, and clean. I'd be exhausted but I'd pick one lift a day, set a goal, and reach it.

This is something that I still do when life starts to run me ragged, and it allows me to completely focus on what's important. The fact that I know going in that it will only demand SOME of my time is half the motivation; looking at some of the workout programs people send me, complete with 9 exercises per day, I'd never enter the weight room from the sheer amount of anticipated boredom. I want to lift heavy, not fart around.

So it comes down to this, when the world is handing you a huge pile of shit, keep the things that you enjoy in your life and keep the motivation high by not overwhelming yourself. Reach goals each workout and move on. This success will help your attitude and keep you from falling too hard.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2011, 01:50 AM   #25
Bodybygamma
Bodybygamma
No B.S. approach
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Default Wendler Reloaded for Powerlifting (for those who missed it)

Modification #1: I'm a competitive powerlifter. How do I tweak this for my goals?

"I have a whole book on this coming out called 5/3/1 for Powerlifting," says Wendler. "The biggest modification pertains to switching around the weeks and adding some heavy singles.

In the original 5/3/1 Manual, the weeks look like this:

Week 1: 3 x 5 reps

Week 2: 3 x 3 reps

Week 3: 3 x 5, 3, and 1 rep

Week 4: Deload

In 5/3/1 for Powerlifting, I switched week 1 and week 2 around and added a few singles, so it basically looks like this:

Week 1: 3 x 3, plus a few singles

Week 2: 3 x 5 only perform requisite reps

Week 3: 3 x 5,3,1, plus a few singles

Week 4: Deload

This system is superior for powerlifting as it includes the necessary heavy singles, yet by switching the weeks around and only performing requisite reps in week two, you never train heavy two weeks in a row.

Thus, it allows for more overall recovery."

Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2011, 04:40 AM   #26
Bodybygamma
Bodybygamma
No B.S. approach
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Ebook Manual was Deleted but here is the short hand version link

Wendler 5-3-1

Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2011, 04:45 AM   #27
Bodybygamma
Bodybygamma
No B.S. approach
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
Ebook Manual was Deleted but here is the short hand version link

Wendler 5-3-1
Found a new link for the manual.

Jim Wendler 531 Manual

Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #28
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,471,435, Level: 100 Points: 1,471,435, Level: 100 Points: 1,471,435, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook