Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements > Low Carb & Paleo Diet

Notices

Low Carb & Paleo Diet A forum to discuss low carb and Paleo diet easting approaches.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
IronManlet
IronManlet
is insane.
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Daring
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast
Default Question for those experienced with Paleo/Low Carb

The past few weeks I've been going ketogenic; consuming no more than ~30g of carbs per day and maximizing fat/protein intake. I've also been combining this with IF, eating two large meals per day.

My question is: Would you still be able to fuel lean mass/strength gains on Paleo without going full keto? i.e. Keeping in more veg/fruit in the diet and therefore not falling into ketosis on a regular basis?

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,307, Level: 79 Points: 15,307, Level: 79 Points: 15,307, Level: 79
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

You probably could, but you wouldn't want to bounce in and out of ketosis a lot. Each switch over takes several days before I start to feel human again.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
JacktheThriller
JacktheThriller
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 5 years consistent
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
My Mood: Twisted
JacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributor

Its pretty common that 130g/day of carbohydrate prevents ketosis from happening. I wouldn't ride the line between ketone and glucose based systems as you will end up breaking down a lot of protein to generate glucose. Pick which ever system you train and gain better on and stay in that system. Paleo doesnt have to be a mid carb diet it can be a high carb diet it is just a limitation of sources of food.
JacktheThriller is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
IronManlet
IronManlet
is insane.
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn

IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Yeah, I figured. You'd have to be eating a lot of vegetables, etc to make up for a lack of starchy carbs unless you include tubers.

Last edited by IronManlet; 08-21-2012 at 07:04 AM.
IronManlet is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Maybe you guys could explain ketosis for those reading, and how someone knows when/if it is achieved.

I sure in the heck don't know.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
IronManlet
IronManlet
is insane.
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Maybe you guys could explain ketosis for those reading, and how someone knows when/if it is achieved.

I sure in the heck don't know.
Ketosis is basically a state wherein your body has low supplies of glycogen due to a high fat/protein and low carb food intake. For most people, this is achieved by keeping net carb intake around 30-50g per day maximum. Ketosis will usually begin after a few days of this eating pattern.

When you're in ketosis, your liver starts to produce glycogen as your muscles cease storing it. Your body utilizes the fat in its system, along with your dietary fat, to produce ketones in the body - reservoirs of fat energy - to draw on for fuel in place of glycogen.

It's technically a much more efficient energy source, and your body is better at metabolizing it. You also end up shedding water weight/fat in short order while still maintaining muscle mass/strength.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,377, Level: 97 Points: 26,377, Level: 97 Points: 26,377, Level: 97
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacktheThriller View Post
Its pretty common that 130g/day of carbohydrate prevents ketosis from happening.
This is not locked in stone. When I last ate low carb, 100 g would move me out of ketosis. It varies from person to person.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #8
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
You probably could, but you wouldn't want to bounce in and out of ketosis a lot. Each switch over takes several days before I start to feel human again.
It does get easier the more you do it, that's my experience anyway.

In regards to the original question, ketosis isn't necessary or the goal in itself. It's just a by product of what happens with that kind of diet.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
My question is: Would you still be able to fuel lean mass/strength gains on Paleo without going full keto?
I think IM that if you train hard enough and are eating plenty of food, you're going to gain mass with whatever system you use.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
JacktheThriller
JacktheThriller
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25 Points: 1,833, Level: 25
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 5 years consistent
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Fish Oil
My Mood: Twisted
JacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributorJacktheThriller is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
This is not locked in stone. When I last ate low carb, 100 g would move me out of ketosis. It varies from person to person.
You are completely correct there is quite a lot of variation. The 130g Carb is based on averages of regular (couch potatoes) people. My base point I think is valid that you don't want to ride the line between the 2 energy systems due to the potential protein losses.
JacktheThriller is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook