Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #21
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 24,041, Level: 94 Points: 24,041, Level: 94 Points: 24,041, Level: 94
Activity: 96% Activity: 96% Activity: 96%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Try to recruit a friend to be your handler - someone to load plates, get food, get flight times, etc. Every ounce of energy conserved could make the big difference.
Bench: 253 lbs
Deadlift: 463 lbs
Total: 1119 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 290 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1295 Lbs
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #22
Jen
Jen
wants a 405 DL
Max Brawn
Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44 Points: 4,825, Level: 44
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: Started 3/23/12
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift :)
Fav Supp: Coffee
My Mood: Relaxed
Jen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master memberJen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
Try to recruit a friend to be your handler - someone to load plates, get food, get flight times, etc. Every ounce of energy conserved could make the big difference.
This..........

Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #23
Beverly McD
Beverly McD
Texas
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,881, Level: 25 Points: 1,881, Level: 25 Points: 1,881, Level: 25
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: Since 1987
My Mood: Amused
Beverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machineBeverly McD is a lifting machine

Train the way you will compete.

The last several workouts before the meet have someone give you the commands you will be required to follow at the meet. For example, "Squat", and Press". If you haven't built the habit of following signals it is very easy to forget to when the excitement/stress of the meet hits.
Nearly every meet I see lifters lose an attempt because they haven't prepared themselves to lift with commands.

Attend the rules meeting that morning. Ask questions and get clarification on any rule you are unsure of. Odds are good that several other people in the group are wondering some of the same things you are but didn't want to ask

Talk to the judges if you miss a lift (in most feds) so you know for sure what you did that cost you a red light. You need to know the problem so it can be corrected before the next attempt.
Beverly McD is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #24
Ironman
Ironman
has no status.
Master Powerlifter
Brawn
Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12 Points: 637, Level: 12

Training Exp: 13
Fav Exercise: SQUAT
Fav Supp: Advocare 02 Gold
Ironman is a consistent contributorIronman is a consistent contributorIronman is a consistent contributorIronman is a consistent contributorIronman is a consistent contributorIronman is a consistent contributorIronman is a consistent contributorIronman is a consistent contributorIronman is a consistent contributorIronman is a consistent contributorIronman is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
It's best if you have an experienced lifter to help. But, if you don't, do not be afraid to ask other lifters that are there. Everyone is usually very helpful at these meets so don't be afraid to ask for advice. If you see me at a meet come and ask for help if you need it.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #25
mikehouse101
mikehouse101
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,045, Level: 17 Points: 1,045, Level: 17 Points: 1,045, Level: 17

Training Exp: 42
Fav Exercise: Dead Lift
Fav Supp: Gaspari's Vasatropin
My Mood: Inspired
mikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributor

Lots of good info here! I will compete for the first time this fall!
Thanks
mikehouse101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #26
statirasman
statirasman
is recovering from squats.
New Brawn
Points: 894, Level: 15 Points: 894, Level: 15 Points: 894, Level: 15
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 Year off and on
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Heavy weights.
My Mood: Grumpy
statirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good posts

A lot of great tips already so I will take the time to tell about my first "real" meet. I say real because my first actual meet was not a sanctioned meet. I was in the Army and while deployed they put on a powerlifting meet at the base gym. I entered and did well but the experience was not much of a big deal because I was competing with other Soldiers who hadn't trained seriously up to the meet. This Army meet took place in August of 2011. I got out of the Army in June of 2012 and decided that I wanted to get serious with my lifting so I joined a Powerlifting gym owned and operated by Scott Warman who was a Professional Powerlifter back in the 90s.

AS soon as I got there Scott asked me about my past lifting endevours and told me that I should find a meet to train for as if I had something to train for I would be more dedicated to my training. I began looking in my local area and was unable to find anything I wanted to compete in a few months away so I would have time to train for it. That summer I went to Sacramento California to visit some family and decided to train at Supertraining Gym with Mark Bell and his crew. For the next 6 weeks I trained there and got to know Mark and his training partners and heard about a meet he would be hosting in November. This was around the end of July at the time so I decided it would be perfect.

I returned to El Paso, Texas on a mission to train my butt off for my first "real" meet. My first training day back was August 18th which was 77 days or 11 weeks out from the meet. With the help of Mr. Warman and all the wisdom I absorbed from the guys at Supertraining I backward planned an 11 week training cycle for the meet. 4 days a week everything started off great I was doing working sets of 7s around 70-80% for the first 4 weeks then 5s around 90% for 3 weeks, then 3s adding a few pounds each set for 2 more weeks then deload and meet.

About 3 weeks out my deadlift suddenly took a dive. I pulled 455 for 5 at week 5 out then the next week I couldn't get 405 off the floor because my lower back was fried from all the volume. Scott told me to drop the deadlifts and just do light accessory work to recover. I hated the Idea but trusted his judgement. All of my other lifts went as planned.

Two weeks out I deloaded at 50-60% and then took the last week off. I flew into Sacramento a few days early, rested, went to the gym to see the guys and visited family until the weighins. The day before the meet I went to the weighins and weighed 239.5 which was good because I was going for the 242s.

The day of the meet I arrived early and tried to calm down but I saw all of the people from the Magazines and internet that I followed walking in. Dan Green, the Lilibridges, Stan Efferding, Eric Spoto, Pete Rubish, ect. I was far from relaxed. I was so excited to watch these guys lift, let alone lift myself. Warmups for squat started with Stan Efferding and Eric Lilibridge. I was warming up with these guys!!! Then it was time for me to squat while they were still warming up.

I hit my first squat but missed my second. Repeated my second for the third and nailed it. Was a little disappointed that I didnt hit all three but moved on. Warmed up bench about an hour later and all felt great. Hit my first two second being a PR but missed my third which was ok with me because next was my favorite lift, the Deadlift. I was nervous because the heaviest i hit in training before the meet was 455 for 5 5 weeks ago but warmups felt good so i pushed the fear aside and went for it. Nailed the first 2 and up came a PR of 505 for the third. I was pumped up and everyone was cheering eachother. 505 went up like it was 315!!!! I had alot in the tank but it was a PR so it was Great. I flew home the next day on a cloud that lasted at least a week later. My first real powerlifting meet was one of the best experiences of my life.
statirasman is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2013, 04:29 PM   #27
mikehouse101
mikehouse101
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,045, Level: 17 Points: 1,045, Level: 17 Points: 1,045, Level: 17

Training Exp: 42
Fav Exercise: Dead Lift
Fav Supp: Gaspari's Vasatropin
My Mood: Inspired
mikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributor

I plan to read this post from start to finish in preperation for competition. Thanks for the help
mikehouse101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #28
dzarello
dzarello
is a 5/3/1 powerlifter in training.
Italian Proud
Max Brawn
Points: 4,384, Level: 42 Points: 4,384, Level: 42 Points: 4,384, Level: 42
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Exercise: The Compounds
Fav Supp: Dead Animals
My Mood: Lurking
dzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beastdzarello is a lifting beast

Lots of very good info/tips. I am planning on entering a meet in the near future.

I just want a place where I can be left alone to get strong and work off some aggression.
-Dave Tate-

The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.
-Michelangelo-

dzarello is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #29
jadenmiller
jadenmiller
has no status.
Banned
Points: 72, Level: 1 Points: 72, Level: 1 Points: 72, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

jadenmiller is off to a bad start

Tip: You need to figure out how many calories you're going to consume daily, then work with a diet plan that will work well for your level.
jadenmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2014, 01:17 AM   #30
James_Fuller
James_Fuller
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
My Mood: Brooding
James_Fuller has made some very good postsJames_Fuller has made some very good postsJames_Fuller has made some very good postsJames_Fuller has made some very good postsJames_Fuller has made some very good postsJames_Fuller has made some very good postsJames_Fuller has made some very good postsJames_Fuller has made some very good postsJames_Fuller has made some very good postsJames_Fuller has made some very good postsJames_Fuller has made some very good posts

I didnt read all these but.

1.) Have a game plan of atleast your openers and 2nd attempts.
2.) deep breaths, relax, sit down
3.) have a handler. Have them load up all your plates in warmups, etc... (pretty much your servant for the day)
4.) film all lifts so you can go over them later in training.
5.) know the records for your weight class, specially if you think you might be close
6.) obviously bring some sort of drinks and snacks

these are not in any particular order
James_Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook