Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #11
TitanCT
TitanCT
throwing iron and eating pizza.
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

My Mood: Aggressive
TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

ive seen and known of many powerlifters that use these.
I've done them, they work pretty well.

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Learn.Apply.Grow

www.advancedmusclescience.com

ForeRunnerLabs
www.forerunnerlabs.com/

The Lab
www.advancedmusclesciencelab.com//

"Abs on a skinny guy are like big boobs on a fat chick - they don't count." -Shelby Starnes
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #12
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
My Mood: Lurking
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanCT View Post
ive seen and known of many powerlifters that use these.
I've done them, they work pretty well.
dido.

Builds the gluts nice for that hip drive. When I was able body I did them and noticed a diffrence on the hips hopping vrs. a sinch (i geuss its called).

Its one of them that looks stupid to most, but the people that do them know the importance that they can bring in the end game.

Last edited by Rich Knapp; 07-20-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #13
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
When you say lengthening the hip flexors, is that because you let the hips sag a lot at the start of each rep? Can you explain that a bit more.
No, I don't think where you start has anything to do with it. I think it is the last couple inches at the top that is the money part of the lift. I don't even really sag much at all after the first one. I really try to push to maximum butt clenching, then relax a bit, and go again. I only drop a few inches or so.

I can't remember where I read or saw these explained so well, but it was something about how normal hip flexor stretches use body positioning to stretch your hip flexors, but that just lengthens them by using outside forces to pull them past their comfort zone, but once those outside forces are gone, they can just shrink right back. But if you force the opposing muscle to stretch them, you bring the system back in balance so the hip flexors can't just go back to passive winning, the glutes are activated and stronger so they fight the hips better.

The idea behind loading them with weight was to get the opposing muscles to stretch them instead of your body position and since your big ass (literally) glute muscles can always overpower your tiny hip flexors, the hip flexors needed weight to force the other side to work that much harder to force a change in the balance of power between the two because most people's hip flexors have been shortened by years of tightening from sitting, underuse of glutes, etc.

I'm probably not explaining that as well as it was sold on me, but it made sense at the time and I believe in the principle, esp. in that I have extremely tight hip flexors that affect my squat specifically, so I am doing everything I can to force them to behave.

I do know I used to have a lot of hip flexor pain when I squatted. After doing a lot of hip stuff, these hip raises included, I rarely have hip flexor pain. They still get sore, but I also think they still need more stretching.

That's all I got. Hope that helps!

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook