Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
abett07
abett07
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts
Default Fat loss and muscle gain at the same time ?

Sorry for asking a question that has no doubt been asked many times before but I am confused .

I had the understanding that to gain muscle you need to have a calorie surplus and to lose fat you need to have a calorie deficit .This is what makes doing both at the same time impossible without the use of steroids

However it seems that both can be done at the same time

My question is who can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time? For example do you need to have a large amount of body fat or be a beginner?

What it is the required diet to achieve both these goals at the same time?

thanks for any feedback
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2012, 05:04 AM   #2
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post
Sorry for asking a question that has no doubt been asked many times before but I am confused .

I had the understanding that to gain muscle you need to have a calorie surplus and to lose fat you need to have a calorie deficit .This is what makes doing both at the same time impossible without the use of steroids

You don't need steroids to do both at the same time and no it's not impossible; I've done it and intend doing it again.

However it seems that both can be done at the same time

My question is who can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time? For example do you need to have a large amount of body fat or be a beginner?

No, to neither; I had low levels of bodyfat and had been working out for a while, I still lost bodyfat and gained lean mass.

What it is the required diet to achieve both these goals at the same time?

It's difficult to say; I just eat and listen to my body, if it seems that it wants more food above what it's already had, then I go eat more.

thanks for any feedback
I will say, that I was eating a LOT more when doing both together but not so much that I gained bodyfat, obviously. It may just be a case of trial and error for you.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
TitanCT
TitanCT
throwing iron and eating pizza.
Manlet of Malice
Max Brawn
Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67 Points: 10,355, Level: 67

My Mood: Aggressive
TitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master memberTitanCT is a master member

unless youre new and your body is making huge adjustments to weight training you will notice that the amount of lean body mass you add will diminish, but it is always possible..with or without steroids.
Natural or not, nutrition is the key, especially for body recompositioning.

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Learn.Apply.Grow

www.advancedmusclescience.com

ForeRunnerLabs
www.forerunnerlabs.com/

The Lab
www.advancedmusclesciencelab.com//

"Abs on a skinny guy are like big boobs on a fat chick - they don't count." -Shelby Starnes
TitanCT is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I believe that it is possible, but I also believe it is a slower road to your goals.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100 Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100 Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I've done several transformation stories on 18 to 20 year old guys where both were achieved, but in both cases the fat loss was only about 10 pounds. They both experienced about a 15 pound muscle gain.

In the cases I am referencing they ran an extremely clean diet and probably lost some of the fat out of the gate just because they dumped soda, chips, etc. Both improved their strength in a rapid amount of time and did eat plenty of clean food.

I can't say I've ever seen a 30+ male do this, and I edit quite a few quality transformation stories. Most of the men lost fat and then did some building.

I think if you want to lose weight you have to focus on the things you can control:

A) Getting stronger/progression on an appropriate workout.
B) Not undereating; being patient.

Will you gain muscle while losing fat? Who knows. Focus on what you can control and find out.

Personally, I'm not a fan of chasing both over the long haul. It's like chasing unicorns. If you have fat to lose, then go lose it. Then get back to muscle building.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-24-2012 at 07:38 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
If you have fat to lose, then go lose it. Then get back to muscle building.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
DanB
DanB
recovering
Brawn
Points: 630, Level: 12 Points: 630, Level: 12 Points: 630, Level: 12

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: ....
My Mood: Happy
DanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good postsDanB has made some very good posts

It is possible but a sure fire way to get nowhere imo. For quicker overall progression = One goal at a time!
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook