Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member
Default What is maximum effort?

Recently, I've realized an epiphany of sorts, so bear with me. I always assumed maximum effort meant 1 rep max. However, I am beginnning to wonder about that. And along those same lines, I've been wondering what is the difference between a new lifter struggling with their max and an experienced lifter struggling with theirs.

This is a free flowing thought, so it goes where it goes, just what I am thinking now.

I did 1 rep maxes for a while and dreaded them somewhat even though I was gaining strength, now am doing rep maxes and absolutely loving it because I don't feel that "fear" that I will fail, i.e. not stand up on a squat, from the get go. If the last rep is out of reach, so be it. Let them eat cake, I say. I'm busting loose with rep PRs, so I'm a beast.

However recently, I calculated my current rep PRs into their possible 1 rep maxes based on the 1 rep max calculator, and low and behold, I'm barely any stronger than I started!! But, I feel massively stronger. How can that be?

Makes me wonder if strength is not really an absolute. Of course any given day we are stronger and weaker, but in general, aren't we on an upward spiral?

Think of it another way. Who is working harder? Donnie Thompson squatting 1300 or some pencil neck gritting out 135?

When the max is on the line, you step up or not, but that is not the be all or end all.

What matters is the next rep or the next time you step under the bar. That's the 'max' rep. There's no formula for that. I'm beginnning to think matrix between physical and mental is a lot deeper than I assumed for a sport that has a bar and weights and precious little else.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100 Points: 1,545,593, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Just approved this. Sorry for the delay.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook