Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
gaster
gaster
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 574, Level: 11 Points: 574, Level: 11 Points: 574, Level: 11
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

gaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good postsgaster has made some good posts
Default Chinups

I can barely do these things. I do not want to be a weeny but I want to know what I can do to improve my chinups. I know as I get stronger they will get better but it is pathetic to see me struggling with this. Or I assume that others are laughing behind my back.
gaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,247, Level: 79 Points: 15,247, Level: 79 Points: 15,247, Level: 79
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

If it makes you feel any better, I can't do chinups from a dead hang either. You can do negatives, either jumping up into the top position and lowering yourself as slowly as you can, or you can use one of the machines that has a counter balance to assist you. Don't worry about people so much though, the only ones that laugh are the ones try to cover up their own pathetic lives. In a year, you'll be able to break them in half.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Chin-ups are pretty tough. But there are things you can do to help.

First and foremost, if you're heavy then lose some weight. Chin-ups are a function of the strength to weight ratio. The stronger you are and the lighter you are the more chin-ups you can do.

Work the muscles that will be used in chin-ups with other exercises. My favorites are barbell rows and barbell curls. Bring those two exercises up and you'll be doing chin-ups in no time.

You can also do band-assisted chin-ups. Get some different strength of exercises bands. Start with the heaviest bands that allow you enough assistance to do some reps. Progressively add reps until you can switch to a lighter band. Keep progressing until you don't need the bands at all.

Negative chin-ups (oops, already covered by Brute).

Just a few ideas...
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
MVP
MVP
Leaner, Stronger, Faster
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Syntha 6
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Focus on the isometric and eccentric phase to the lift. Jump up to the top of the chin-up and hold yourself at the top for as long as you can, then slowly lower your body. Each time you do this it will count as a rep.

In the meantime, focus on deadlifts, power cleans, and bent over rows. You want your biceps and lats to get stronger before you can really start doing a lot of pullups. Your strength to weight ratio will come into play big time in this exercise.

Some people increase their pullup total by increasing their deadlift alone.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 136,216, Level: 100 Points: 136,216, Level: 100 Points: 136,216, Level: 100
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

As Offroad said, weight is a major factor. In all bodyweight exercises, lighter weights will dominate. As an example, I remember that in the 1970s, the push-up record was held for some time by a thirteen year old.

Another thing to take into account is where that weight is distributed. Anyone with hefty pins is at a massive disadvantage.

Currently, I have more chins than I can perform.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
blackjack
blackjack
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 332, Level: 6 Points: 332, Level: 6 Points: 332, Level: 6
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

blackjack is off to a bad start

I do not like doing chinups either. I find them hard to do. But all you can do is work at them and you will eventually get somewhat better. Or do what the boys suggested above.
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Currently, I have more chins than I can perform.
Lol...That was funny.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,315, Level: 96 Points: 26,315, Level: 96 Points: 26,315, Level: 96
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I started by placing my barbell on the rack at the lowest setting. I would place my toes on the bar, which allowed a little assistance, but very little push. I then kept at it until I could do one without the bar. I then tried to add a rep each time I did them.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #9
flow
flow
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26

flow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good posts

Chin ups are great. But if you cannot bunch out some good ones, they are hard to periodize in my eyes in terms of weight.
You cannot cut off your legs for a deload.

It seems that they love volume. canīt remember who said it. But one method to use, is to take your current number (example 6 chin ups is max) and devide it by 2. Do as many sets as possible in good form and decrease the rest time between your sets during the cycle.
If endurance is the goal.

Another option to get some strength transfer to the chin up are these:
Horizontal Chinups

good pull.
flow is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook