Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Long Term Goals - Consistancy vs. Specialization

Consistancy vs. Specialization

What are your opinions on the two training methods for lifetime goals?

#1. Use a well rounded routine and work for years to bring up all the lifts. You will realize all your goals at the end of the long journey.
#2. Work specifically on one or two lifts at a time until they reach their potential, then work on a couple of different lifts. You will have achieved many goals at different times.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

One of the things I like about 5/3/1 is that you can bring up multiple lifts with consistency. Consistency is the operative word with any routine. Any routine can see you to gains if you are consistent and progressive.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

The reason I like this question is there is really difference between what is recommended today and what some of the old time lifters used to do. Many of the old time lifters used to spend a few years on something, get really good at it, set some records, then move on to something else.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
The reason I like this question is there is really difference between what is recommended today and what some of the old time lifters used to do. Many of the old time lifters used to spend a few years on something, get really good at it, set some records, then move on to something else.
That open such interesting doors to me. While this isn't answering the question directly, I would like to say that I can see why this is appealing. At some point the big lifts can get rather frustrating. At this point I guess the question becomes...put 75% of my energy into one lift and place the others in a holding pattern, or push all 3 at once.

There certainly are plenty of lifters who effectively raise all 3 at once, but this does not mean that specialization wouldn't be a good option.

Mentally I find myself currently drawn to specialization. I have a passion for bringing up my deadlift, and may just give it a heavier focus at the expense of bench and squats after my next meet.

My personal view is that a trainee should continue working on all lifts and building well rounded strength until they start to hit challenging walls at about the 5 rep range, meaning it becomes very hard to make any progress around 85% of their 1RM and below.

After this point more intense work is most likely needed, and depending on a lifters goals, specialization might be a fun option.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

I believe Ryano's insight in this question might be extremely incisive.

I think for some it just depends on what floats your boat. Do you want to be overall strong so that in your gym/club/meets you're a big man on whatever lifts are expected? Or do you love one thing and want to hammer it out to it's ultimate?

Me, I got started because I wanted to clean and press my BW. But along the way I found I liked just picking up heavy stuff no matter what.

And I love balance. I would dearly love to military my BW, but I also really want to do 10 pullups too.

Bottom line, I think this answer comes from within.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook