Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100 Points: 1,543,813, Level: 100
Activity: 53% Activity: 53% Activity: 53%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Powerlifting - doing too much each day

We have talked about "doing too much" during a given workout a lot lately. Here is a quote from Dave Tate:

Quote:
In the gym, you can either train to impress for the day or leave an impression that will last a lifetime. This means that you HAVE to learn to train with the end goal in mind. One awesome lift/PR in the gym is never worth sacrificing what will be displayed on meet day.
Here is a longer excerpt:

http://articles.elitefts.com/article...ifters-part-2/

Quote:
Stay Healthy

This is not meant in the way most people will read into it. We already know strength sports at the highest level are NOT healthy. I would go as far to say that no sport at its upper level is healthy in anyway. Once pushing the outer limits of one’s mental and physical self becomes part of the competitive process, health, in it’s typical sense, gets tossed out the widow.

This is what I mean by staying healthy:

First off very few who compete at the top levels are 100 percent healthy. They ALL have something that hurts, is screwed up, torn, pulled, broke, ect. This is an accepted part of the game. Normally the one who is the least “screwed” up on meet day is the one who will have the best day, or better put, will display their strength to it’s greatest potential.

When I speak to these lifters what I ask them is what their best total is and when they did it. When and where doesn’t matter, what does matter is the next question I ask and that is, “How much did you leave on the platform?” Let’s say for example, the answer is a 2455 total and they know they had 50 pounds more in the squat, 20 more in the bench and maybe 10 or 15 more in the deadlift. When you add this all up it is an 85-pound PR correct? So why not go into the next meet at the same strength you were then and pick up those 85 pounds?

The reason is because most lifters do not think this way. They feel if they got stronger they could add another 40 to the squat and that would make a total of 90 more pounds for the next meet. This is where you need to really stop and think. When was the last time you hit a 95 pound PR in the squat from one meet to the next? Exactly! This is very rare, but they will train with this thought in mind and end up beating the crap out of themselves in the process. They will actually show up on meet day MORE beat up than they were the meet that they had their best day at. They may or may not break PRs, but if they do, they are usually less than what they left on the platform last time.

If you have an awesome meet and the strength IS there, but you don’t completely demonstrate it, the correct answer is to keep training to get strong but don’t keep the pedal to the floor when it’s not needed. Spend the cycle training smart and not doing “stupid shit” that you know will beat you up more than it will get you strong. The main goal is to break your PR total, right? Why make this harder than it really is? Do what you need to do to step on the platform just as strong as you were when you had your best day but less beat up.

Think of it this way. If that 2455 was done with a slight back strain, a pulled hamstring five weeks out and one rib out, what do you think you would have left on the platform if you were 100 percent healthy, or even just 80 percent healthy? Hell, just more healthy than you were that day?

I’m not saying strength isn’t a main goal – it is! What I’m saying is that is doesn’t matter how f**ckin’ strong you are if you are always beat up and hurt. Nobody cares what you do in the gym – what matters is what you display on meet day.

In the gym, you can either train to impress for the day or leave an impression that will last a lifetime. This means that you HAVE to learn to train with the end goal in mind. One awesome lift/PR in the gym is never worth sacrificing what will be displayed on meet day.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links