Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
musclewannabe
musclewannabe
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 757, Level: 14 Points: 757, Level: 14 Points: 757, Level: 14
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

musclewannabe has made some quality postsmusclewannabe has made some quality postsmusclewannabe has made some quality postsmusclewannabe has made some quality postsmusclewannabe has made some quality postsmusclewannabe has made some quality posts
Default L-Carnitine

Will L-Carnitine help me convert fat into energy? If so will it give me that cut appearance?
musclewannabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
ricka182
ricka182
is taking small steps.. then GIANT leaps to domination!!!
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Archery 2000 Champion! Fish Eat Fish Champion! Power Driver Champion! Yeti Sports 1 Greece Champion! Penguinoids Champion!
Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
My Mood: Sick
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclewannabe View Post
Will L-Carnitine help me convert fat into energy? If so will it give me that cut appearance?
Yes, and no. If you mean plain oral supplementation of L-Carnitine, the answer is no. If you mean purely on a scientific basisd, the answer is yes.

To be more simple... Yes, L-Carnitine is used by the body to shuttle free fatty acids into the cellular mitochondria, to be burned as fuel. It needs L-Carnintine to do this. However you get enough in a basic diet to run the engine on a daily basis. Taking L-Carnitine orally is a bad idea, as it has a very low(20%ish) bioavailability. So for every 1000g you take, 800mg gets wasted by the liver. Upping the dose just isn't efficient to do so, nor is it financially feasible, unless you're rich.

There are other forms of Carnitine that work better, but not neccessarily in the same exact manner. Here's a copy/paste from another forum in which I answered the same question...

I've tried 3 out 4 different types of carnintine.. Here is what I know of each, and what I think..

L-Carnintine: The body uses this to shuttle fatty acids into the mitochondria to be burned as energy. It must have L-Carnintine for this mechanism to work. You get enough for daily life in your diet. The idea of more would increase fat burning, thus weight loss has been around for years. Problem is L-Carnintine has horrible bio-availability, like 20%. So if you take 1g a day, you're only getting 200mg of that into your system. *I've gone upto 3g a day, in pill, powder and/or liquid form, with no noticeable effects. Not worth it IMO.

Acetyl-L-Carnitine: A higher bio-available form of the above, closer to 80%. It is also used with Alheizmers patients, as it helps to support normal and increased brain function. Like an energy pill for your gray matter. *I have yet to try this, but will be on my next order.

Propionyl-L-Carnintine: Similar bio-availability to ALCAR, but the propionyl ester tends to better support overall circulation throughout the body, allowing increased stamina and energy. What ALCAR does for the brain, PLCAR does for the body. *This has become a staple for me. I seem to have endless energy, but not like a stimulant. Much more natural, just don't get tired. I notice it most with cardio, but also in the weight room. I take 2.5g 30-40 minutes pre, and I have 1g in my intra drinks combined. I'll also be experimenting with higher amounts, up to 5g pre, to see if the benefits increase with higher dosage.

Carnitine-L-Tartrate: This version is similar to above for bio-availability, and again has it's own benficial properties. It works to keep muscle damage reduced using different pathways, most notably by increasing the up-regulation of the androgen receptors. This can help promote a better healing and recovery for the freshly worked muscle. *I initially thought this was a bunk supp, until I increased my dosage to 5g daily, split into (2) 2g doses, one pre-wo, the other with my PWO shake. Overall less feeling sore, much lower DOMS, and higher ability to work muscle again sooner.

I hope that answers your question, albeit probably more than you expected. If you're looking to boost overall fat metabolism, look into HIIT. It's been proben to really rev up the body, and keep it going for a while after you stop. Also, keep in mind..without a clean diet, nothing will work.

As for that cut appearance, low body fat and muscular definition will give you the cut look. Don't try to get it overnight, or even in just a few months. You see any of the guys here who have impressive physiques, and they will all tell you it's about dedication. It takes time, lots of time. But the reward, is well...that cut appearance.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook