Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
onetiredkris
onetiredkris
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor
Default Personal Trainer Aspirations

Ok well since its been over a year of me not having a valid drivers license I'm thinking about changing professions. Fixing trucks made me buttloads of money, but it stressed me out and I've developed arthritis and my hands hurt like crazy when I'm doing certain repairs.

In comes my love: the gym.
My Ballys loves me and they told me today that they wouldn't hesitate to hire me as a personal trainer, so I didn't hesitate to fill out an application right then and there.

So they said I have three months of working until I am required to have a personal trainer certification. Several trainers there said the best one i should get is NSCA. Anyone have any opinions on this? And ware online can i get the most information to help me out on this quest?
onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 12,882, Level: 74 Points: 12,882, Level: 74 Points: 12,882, Level: 74
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Yeehaw
jdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite member

National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA).

My friend works at Ballys in NY...they require NASM, but it was all online. I saw the online NASM test and didn't think it was that difficult. There was no charge as it was taken through the Ballys web site.

I spoke to Juan Carlos Santana, who is NASM certified, and asked him if he recommended it. He said he would go with NSCA if he had it to do over. My understanding is NSCA is the most "hands-on" or real world/sports cert out there. I'm considering it myself.
"If you're not taking any risks, don't expect any rewards."
jdmalm123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,471,435, Level: 100 Points: 1,471,435, Level: 100 Points: 1,471,435, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetiredkris View Post
Ok well since its been over a year of me not having a valid drivers license I'm thinking about changing professions. Fixing trucks made me buttloads of money, but it stressed me out and I've developed arthritis and my hands hurt like crazy when I'm doing certain repairs.
I don't have an opinion but I do feel your pain. I was a machinist and I woke up with numb hands every morning.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
onetiredkris
onetiredkris
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32 Points: 2,770, Level: 32

onetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributoronetiredkris is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA).

My friend works at Ballys in NY...they require NASM, but it was all online. I saw the online NASM test and didn't think it was that difficult. There was no charge as it was taken through the Ballys web site.

I spoke to Juan Carlos Santana, who is NASM certified, and asked him if he recommended it. He said he would go with NSCA if he had it to do over. My understanding is NSCA is the most "hands-on" or real world/sports cert out there. I'm considering it myself.
Nice, I'm probably minutes away from signing up. I just need some reassurance of its reputation before i blow $135 for the one year membership.
onetiredkris is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,471,435, Level: 100 Points: 1,471,435, Level: 100 Points: 1,471,435, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

OTK...I do have a number of professional bodybuilders and figure competitors that I know from my interviews, etc., that are trainers. I could hook you up with their emails. I'm sure they'd be glad to answer questions. Send me a PM if interested.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
jhuse2
jhuse2
has no status.
Big Tex
Max Brawn
Points: 2,522, Level: 30 Points: 2,522, Level: 30 Points: 2,522, Level: 30

My Mood: Happy
jhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good posts

I only have a few comments. Do what you love, Never pass up an apportunity and never say give yourself a chance to say.."What if".
DEAD LIFTS: . . . . . . . .255/300/435
OVERHEAD PRESS: . . . . 110/135/170

Transformation Contest BULK
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...test-bulk.html
Workout Log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...ngth-form.html
~HOT SH!T.. ROCK & ROLL~
jhuse2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
dmaipa
dmaipa
focused and ready
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Inspired
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Nice, I'm probably minutes away from signing up. I just need some reassurance of its reputation before i blow $135 for the one year membership.
I am certified through the NSCA. It is probably the most reputable organization that i've come across that most people are looking for. the NSCA has two different areas of certifications, the CPT and CSCS. If you have any questions on it, i'll be glad to help you out man

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
one rep is plenty!
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 12,882, Level: 74 Points: 12,882, Level: 74 Points: 12,882, Level: 74
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Yeehaw
jdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite member

Quote:
Go for it. I also interviewed to be the PT Manager at a Bally's in NY...
Being a reputable trainer there could lead you to other things...

The PT manager job was 30k base pay + up to 30k PT sales bonus (+ another 10k if you continued to train 1-on-1)
"If you're not taking any risks, don't expect any rewards."
jdmalm123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
bwys61
bwys61
can i get a status
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
My Mood: Amused
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

NSCA CPT or CSCS. Those are highly respected
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook