Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #11
gethuge69
gethuge69
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 823, Level: 15 Points: 823, Level: 15 Points: 823, Level: 15
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

gethuge69 is off to a bad start

My diet is good, I'm not concerned with it. At this point I'm really lOoking to switch things up routoine wise. I appreciate you guys looking to find all the pieces though to this puzzle.

At this point I feel its a toss up between the Tom Mutaffis 3 day split and Westside for skinny bastards.. But idk if that is more geared towards strength or and idk much about it
gethuge69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #12
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gethuge69 View Post
At this point I'm really lOoking to switch things up routoine wise.
It's obvious you have your mind made up on this issue. We'd like to see you fix your problems rather than just randomly switch routines. Everybody is mentioning the eating becuase you are light and have only gained 5 lbs. If your goal is to "get big" then that weight gain throughout a whole routine just isn't enough. Lastly, there are a lot of ways to get progress moving on your current routine and you would learn a lot more by trying them.

If all you want is a routine recommendation, then go with Skinny Bastards. I like Tom's routine and I respect Tom a lot. But I think the Skinny Bastard routine is more complete and there is more support for it. But be real about it, Skinny Bastard, and Tom's Routine are so very similar to IA's routine that you aren't going to gain anything over your current routine if you don't fix your problems.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #13
gethuge69
gethuge69
has no status.
Brawn

Well thanks, but besides eating more what else could I possibly do to make gains with this routione? Swiotching lifts?

Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #14
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Well thanks, but besides eating more what else could I possibly do to make gains with this routione? Swiotching lifts?
Eating more/better would certainly be a place to start. In fact, increasing all recovery factors would probably help. I wouldn't start with switching lifts because IA's routine already alternates lifts to keep from stalling. If you want to try to fix your progression, then we can give you a lot of ideas, but it's important to change things slowly and only one or two at a time. Start with the simple things and get more complex as needed.

Some ideas to start with are:
Eating better towards your goals, if you aren't gaining weight, you aren't getting bigger.

Improve your conditioning. A good condition will help you recover from exercises and workouts. Minimum should be 20 minutes twice a week.

Sleep more, make sure you are getting 8+ hours of restful sleep a night.

Reduce outside stressors as much as you can.

More complex items to think about:
Progression schemes; cycled, waved, microloading

Reduced training volume

Increased training volume

Accessory and assistance lifts

More/less frequent loading

Tired of typing, those can be explained further, and that would definitely get you started.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #15
gethuge69
gethuge69
has no status.
Brawn

Thanks.. But all of those are spot on.. Maybe I need to eat more but..

And as far as switchihg lifts on IA's.. I didn't switch deads because if I switched to rack deads I wouldn't want my dead progress to be altered.. Same wiot squats to box ssquats..

I've been on the routine for months and kind of want a change anyway. Io figured westside is very similiar to IA's so maybe you can check out my modified version of it?

Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #16
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Thanks.. But all of those are spot on..
That's really good then, you are WAY ahead of the curve. I've been training for years and I'm still learning to adjust all those.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #17
gethuge69
gethuge69
has no status.
Brawn

Can i post my modified version of westside?

Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #18
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

The dialogue you've had with Offroad is very useful, you shouldn't underestimate the importance of what he's said.

For my money, any routine will quit working after a while. That isn't a sleight on the routine it is just the biological law of adaption. The key then is to make changes but keep up a continuity in how you measure progress.

Measured progress is the end-goal. Make your changes around that, don't bulldoze over it and forget the bigger picture.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #19
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,536, Level: 78 Points: 14,536, Level: 78 Points: 14,536, Level: 78
Activity: 52% Activity: 52% Activity: 52%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
And as far as switchihg lifts on IA's.. I didn't switch deads because if I switched to rack deads I wouldn't want my dead progress to be altered.. Same wiot squats to box ssquats..
I'm confused. Are you saying that you think that doing rack pulls and box squats will HURT your progress?

You should know before you switch to a Westside style program that box squats are basically the only type of squat those guys do. They hardly ever do standard squats. It seems to work out pretty well for them.

I'm a huge believer in both of those lifts, and the truth is that you probably missed out on some bigger numbers by leaving them out.

Share with Facebook