Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
strengthseeker
strengthseeker
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 1,146, Level: 18 Points: 1,146, Level: 18 Points: 1,146, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: squat
My Mood: Yeehaw
strengthseeker is off to a good startstrengthseeker is off to a good startstrengthseeker is off to a good startstrengthseeker is off to a good start
Default Your experience with 5x5, madcow, texas etc?

I wasn't sure if i should post this in the full body section or here. Anyways i was wondering if anyone has done variations of 5x5. Nobody i know in real life has done it, or even heard about it. So this is as close as it gets.

Were you able to have strength increases every week? How far did you progress? Are you still on it? How often did you have to deload? How did your joints feel? Which variation of 5x5 did you enjoy most? What was your overall impression?

Thanks in advance!
strengthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
austin.j.taylor
austin.j.taylor
does wayyy too many strongman contests
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

I went from 225/115/255 to 400/255/465 on Bill Starrs 5X5 in about 18 months as a 27 year old relatively untrained lifter. If it can work for me, it can work for you.

It takes about a month to set PR's every workout, but it gives you some time to get used to the work load. I had to deload about every 8 weeks for the first year and then monthly during the last 6 months. I also had to reset lifts more frequently during the ending portion. I ultimately quit using it because I needed a knee surgery(from unrelated activity). I have been running 5/3/1 since April and love that program as well.

As a relative beginner you need to run an established program until you have the knowledge and experience to program things for yourself. Starting Strength, Madcows, Bills Starr 5X5, Texas Method are all proven programs for beginners and intermediate lifters. Dont get program ADHD. Consistancy and frequency are the keys to progress.
Deadlift: 473
Push Press: 235X3
Clean and Strict Press: 175X3
12 inch Log Press: 250
Yoke: 650X18.5'
Atlas Stone: 300 over 48" bar
Hummer Tire Dead: 500X3
18" Deadlift: 550
Many more PR's to come
Youtube user name: Coachlefty
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
Pull14
Pull14
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

I've used all types of 5x5's in the past... 5x5 sets across, work up in 5's to one heavy set of 5, two work up and 3 sets across of 5, etc. Its important to remember that for the most part, "5x5" is just a number of sets and reps. It is only as good as the effort you put into it and how you react to constantly changing factors; some of which are natural slows in progression, stalls, bad days, etc.

Of all of the variations and programs of "5x5" I enjoyed the Texas Method the most. Ran it for about 25 weeks and progress was equally split between weekly and every other week. Sometimes I was on a roll and had no issues increase weight while other times I had to hold back to allow my body to adjust to increases in volume. Sometimes I could get away with increasing weight on all 3 training session, other times I'd have to cut back on two of them to increase on the third. 5x5, or rather sets of 5 works well with the Texas Method for a while, but 5x5 does not define the program. Its actually less a program and more of a system... a frame work. Throw in what ever rep/set ranges you want that fits the idea volume work and do that until it stops working, from there, move to triples, doubles, or singles... less conventional but 4's and 6 reps can also work.

But past that... it is a good program that when fully understood, can take a lifter a very long way. Odds are that boredum will lead to major changes in programming before progress is dried out.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
Shadowschmadow
Shadowschmadow
aka El Cappy-Tan
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Snotput Champion! Soccer Tournament Champion!
Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
My Mood: Tired
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Texas Method is a good program. That's all there is to it. I made some great progress on that program in a short period of time.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
Mr.Silverback
Mr.Silverback
staying alive!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 12,231, Level: 72 Points: 12,231, Level: 72 Points: 12,231, Level: 72
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
My Mood: Daring
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

I agree with Shadow and everyone else, the 5x5 program is very good...my experience was pretty good. I ran it for 16weeks or so and the first 8weeks I saw my bench go from 375 to 405 real easy. The second cycle my bench went from 405 to 430x3 within the 6th week. Basically the 5x5 program is very versatile and adaptable.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
Shadowschmadow
Shadowschmadow
aka El Cappy-Tan
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Silverback View Post
I agree with Shadow and everyone else, the 5x5 program is very good...my experience was pretty good. I ran it for 16weeks or so and the first 8weeks I saw my bench go from 375 to 405 real easy. The second cycle my bench went from 405 to 430x3 within the 6th week. Basically the 5x5 program is very versatile and adaptable.
Those are big gains for being at that level of lifting. Making gains after 400 gets pretty damn hard, from my personal experience. Strong work Silverback.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
Mr.Silverback
Mr.Silverback
staying alive!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 12,231, Level: 72 Points: 12,231, Level: 72 Points: 12,231, Level: 72
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
My Mood: Daring
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Those are big gains for being at that level of lifting. Making gains after 400 gets pretty damn hard, from my personal experience. Strong work Silverback.
Thanks bro, yes gains after 400 are very hard in my experience as well...but I was also around 290-300lbs. LOL Now about 245-252 and Im down to 415 max.

Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
Shadowschmadow
Shadowschmadow
aka El Cappy-Tan
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Silverback View Post
Thanks bro, yes gains after 400 are very hard in my experience as well...but I was also around 290-300lbs. LOL Now about 245-252 and Im down to 415 max.
I was at 205-215 and pretty lean when I got over 400. I don't know how much further I would have gone, but a rotator injury due to improper training eventually lead to my down fall.

All I can say is that 400+ lbs seems like you're holding up a truck on your wrists.

Share with Facebook