Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #21
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,479,505, Level: 100 Points: 1,479,505, Level: 100 Points: 1,479,505, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
Something you guys (BTB and Fazc) were discussing on another thread piqued my interest. Steve was saying that he needed to get his eccentrics faster and Fazc said he would start moving forward again when they did.

I'm interested in this idea with regard to bench press. At the moment, I can't bench enough for this to be an issue, but in the past, everytime I got over 150kg on bench, the eccentric would become a huge problem. For a start, my shoulder pain would be excruciating and make it hard to control the bar. Secondly the bar would descend achingly slowly - though I sometimes had difficulty controlling the last 3-4" to the chest. I often felt that this took a lot out of me and stopped me from hitting big 1RMs.

On squats too, past 200 kg and I was descending at a glacial pace. I wonder if this saps some strength, too.

What's your take on eccentrics and the speed thereof?
One of the keys to helping my eccentric speed was core strength. I was stubborn and refused to train abs. Right now even a little work keeps my core feeling stronger, and helps my eccentrics. Mileage may vary person to person. I like the combination of side bends and weighted situps.

Bench has been different. Shoulder and elbow strains became a real issue for me. The only thing that has helped me personally was the use of a Sling Shot. I feel more in control when benching and my eccentrics are faster.

I have noticed that the more strains and joint issues i have at a given time, the slower my eccentrics were. I had to baby the lift. This week I was beat up a bit in the shoulders and my bench eccentrics suffered. My only point is that if there is a weak link in the chain my eccentrics suffer. The Sling Shot allows me to train healthy and the result is quicker eccentrics.

On real heavy work the first rep is usually the slowest for me. When I do triples the second and third rep are quicker (as I gain confidence). This might not be the case for you, but it's worth a shot. Perhaps add some triples each week - a 5x3 or something like that, where you can place some focus on eccentric speed.

Part of this is mental too. I needed to learn to descend quicker while trusting my form. This took time and practice.

I hope some of the other guys will chime in, as I am no expert in this area.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #22
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 134,089, Level: 100 Points: 134,089, Level: 100 Points: 134,089, Level: 100
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
On real heavy work the first rep is usually the slowest for me. When I do triples the second and third rep are quicker (as I gain confidence).
That's exactly the same for me.

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated. I've made a start on the abs, but I might get one of tham thar ab wheels, so I can do them at home.
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #23
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
That's exactly the same for me.
Exactly the same for me as well. I fight against it, but it's seemingly inevitable.

Btb's experiences with rep speed mirror my own. I do try and make the eccentrics as fast as possible and that helps tremendously. When I slow down it's usually down to a combination of factors which range from just not concentrating to feeling hurt and sore which makes me lack confidence.

Personally for me this is even more of a reason to do singles, in an attempt to train myself out of this habit. As bottom line, in competition it is your first rep that counts.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #24
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,262, Level: 100 Points: 36,262, Level: 100 Points: 36,262, Level: 100
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I have always lifted fast but since doing Westside with the combination of heavy work against bands and speed work has made me even faster on both negatives and positives. Positives are faster because you get used to accelerating through the band tension. Negatives get faster because the light speed work has greased the groove of the movement somewhat.

LtL
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #25
DieselWeasel
DieselWeasel
will deadlift 600 soon.
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Whey Powder
My Mood: Paranoid
DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

How much rest between heavy singles? As long as necessary?

RPS - Open 165 Raw - 07.13.13
1365 Elite/Pro Total (475,300,590)
DieselWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2011, 03:45 AM   #26
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWeasel View Post
How much rest between heavy singles? As long as necessary?
I ended up taking as long as 45 minutes just to complete the singles section of the routine. Which is actually why I started to superset my back off work and upper back work, originally as a means to save time.

So yeah, within reason take as long as you need.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #27
TitanWIP
TitanWIP
is not TitanCT
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: Brooding
TitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post

Personally for me this is even more of a reason to do singles, in an attempt to train myself out of this habit.
Very insightful. Eccentrics are more taxing on the body so it would seem that faster eccentrics could create fewer strains and joint issues thus making it easier to do faster eccentrics. Would this be true?
TitanWIP is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #28
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanWIP View Post
Eccentrics are more taxing on the body so it would seem that faster eccentrics could create fewer strains and joint issues thus making it easier to do faster eccentrics. Would this be true?
Yeah I think so, this certainly appears to be true for me and I think that's what Btb and Tann were saying as well.

If you look at everything Broz has said about frequent lifting he always emphasises speed in the lifts and no grinders. Countless other guys have made similar comments. It's almost inevitable as people lift more frequently or do more volume they will need to at least attempt to lift faster.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #29
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Very insightful. Eccentrics are more taxing on the body so it would seem that faster eccentrics could create fewer strains and joint issues thus making it easier to do faster eccentrics. Would this be true?
I have definitely found this to be true for squatting.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #30
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,262, Level: 100 Points: 36,262, Level: 100 Points: 36,262, Level: 100
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Worth noting as well that lifters who train daily like oly lifters drop the bar rather than do negatives thus allowing themselves to do more and recover quicker.

LtL
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook