Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #11
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,573, Level: 78 Points: 14,573, Level: 78 Points: 14,573, Level: 78
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I also don't think that people need to follow hard and fast rules to have a healthy diet. I do think there are exceptions though. Extreme changes in your body need extreme diets. If you want to be ripped (which is usually not the natural state of things) then you'll probably need to do some extreme things to get there, which is when these special diets come into play.

However, for someone who just wants a healthy diet I think these extreme methods are useless. I'm friends with another future soldier who wanted to drop a few lbs. When I talked to her about her diet I realized that almost all of her intake was carbs, many of them processed. She was tracking her calories, but not getting results. I told her to keep her carbs under 100g a day and to get her carbs from mostly fruits and veggies. In a month she dropped 4lb with no ther changes to her diet.

She probably ate less because she wasn't spiking her blood sugar with processed carbs, instead keeping herself full with fibrous veggies. Small changes like that make a much bigger difference than people think.

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #12
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Great point Soldier. What amazes me are the empty calories most people drink. I have a friend that, until recently, would think nothing of having 6 - 16 oz glasses of Dr. Pepper at a meal. That was about 800 calories before he even counted the meal. Most could lose a pound or two, just cutting the empty calories.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #13
vcjha
vcjha
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 458, Level: 9 Points: 458, Level: 9 Points: 458, Level: 9
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

vcjha is off to a bad start

Very interesting discussion. There is a movement called IIFYM in which most of them eat IF style. All they do is eat their meals within 8 hours. Instead of eating everything clean, they choose 20% of their daily macro amounts to come from foods they would enjoy, such as pop-tarts.
vcjha is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #14
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

IIFYM? What does that stand for?

Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #15
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcjha View Post
Very interesting discussion. There is a movement called IIFYM in which most of them eat IF style. All they do is eat their meals within 8 hours. Instead of eating everything clean, they choose 20% of their daily macro amounts to come from foods they would enjoy, such as pop-tarts.
This is a concept that is totally beyond me. Why would you need to choose 20% of your macros from foods you enjoy? I choose 100% of my macros from foods I enjoy. If I don't like it, I won't eat it. The problem I see with most folks cutting and bulking is that they see it as a diet and a drudgery. The reality is that it should be a lifestyle. Who wants to go through life eating stuff you don't like in order to reach a goal. If you manage your macros and calories you can lose or bulk on the foods you like. I choose not to eat junk, but I still enjoy EVERYTHING I eat.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #16
vcjha
vcjha
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 458, Level: 9 Points: 458, Level: 9 Points: 458, Level: 9
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

vcjha is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
IIFYM? What does that stand for?
If it fits your macros
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
This is a concept that is totally beyond me. Why would you need to choose 20% of your macros from foods you enjoy? I choose 100% of my macros from foods I enjoy. If I don't like it, I won't eat it. The problem I see with most folks cutting and bulking is that they see it as a diet and a drudgery. The reality is that it should be a lifestyle. Who wants to go through life eating stuff you don't like in order to reach a goal. If you manage your macros and calories you can lose or bulk on the foods you like. I choose not to eat junk, but I still enjoy EVERYTHING I eat.
I see what you mean. People complain about eating chicken and brown rice everyday or chicken and sweet potato everyday but I find a way to enjoy it. Add some green beans to the brown rice and chicken, throw it in a food processor, add a tiny bit of soy sauce and spiracha, and you've got yourself some healthy make-shift fried rice that is damn tasty. Chicken and sweet potato I find enjoyable when you add chopped vegetables to it.

But the people essentially do find ways to add "junk" like pop-tarts. Say they're tired of chicken and brown rice. They may opt to add pop-tarts and a whey protein shake in place of that meal and adjust it to fit macronutrients.
vcjha is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #17
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcjha View Post
If it fits your macros

I see what you mean. People complain about eating chicken and brown rice everyday or chicken and sweet potato everyday but I find a way to enjoy it. Add some green beans to the brown rice and chicken, throw it in a food processor, add a tiny bit of soy sauce and spiracha, and you've got yourself some healthy make-shift fried rice that is damn tasty. Chicken and sweet potato I find enjoyable when you add chopped vegetables to it.

But the people essentially do find ways to add "junk" like pop-tarts. Say they're tired of chicken and brown rice. They may opt to add pop-tarts and a whey protein shake in place of that meal and adjust it to fit macronutrients.
Good idea but there are so many foods, different meats adn veggies out there that it's easier to just select one you enjoy without having to "disguise" either it or the flavour. Personally, I like chicken so have no need to alter the flavour to make it palatable; if that were the case, I probably just wouldn't eat it. Fish, on the other hand, I'm fussy about because I'll eat some but not all fish whereas hubby likes most if not all fish.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #18
Soldier
Soldier
is judging you.
Max Brawn

That would work if all that mattered is macros. Seperating foods by macros only puts them into 1 of 3 different categories, which means they are ignoring many other factors that are also very important. No wonder they need to add in cheat foods when the rest of the time they are obsessed with making their foods meet some preconceived notion of a perfect ratio of macros.

It just doesn't work that way. I enjoy my food. I just had a hamburger and some cheese and crackers. Plenty of good carbs, fats and proteins, and some not so "good" carbs and fats. In the end, if you get a bit of each then you'll end up just fine, and enjoy life quite a bit more. And if you need a little help managing your intake, then give IF a try some time.

Share with Facebook