Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
abett07
abett07
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts
Default why do calves need high reps ?

how come most workouts have higher rep ranges for the calves than other body parts ?

is there some type of myth going around that calves need high reps to grow ?
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100 Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100 Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100
Activity: 69% Activity: 69% Activity: 69%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Some trainers like John Christy disagree with high rep work, and have found that many clients receive benefits from lower rep, heavy weight work.

My advice is that if you have naturally skinny calves that won't grow, don't rule out the use of 5 to 10 rep sets with heavy work. I do standing barbell calf raises without the use of a block and they allow for a substantial amount of weight to be moved fairly safely.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
MC
MC
is plotting World Domination from the Phantom Zone
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
My Mood: Aggressive
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

I don't know if it is a myth or not, but I know that my own calves responded best when I did an extended stint of hammering them twice a week with two different exercises in the 12-20 rep range.

I look at it like this, your calves work when you walk, stand, run. So it makes sense to me that they may need more time under tension to grow.

That said, everyone's genetics are different. I wasn't blessed with big calves and even now, at 17" they look small on my long legs. Some guys have big calves and never have to train them above and beyond squats and what not.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Think about how much your calves lift every day?
They are mostly fast twitch fibers and each calf lifts your body weight every time you take a step or go up steps.

So just as any body part, you need to go above and beyond what they are used to and trash them hard, either by high reps or super heavy weight.
The goal is to either way, kill them past there normal daily abuse.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Why do calves need high reps? They don't. They just need overload like every other muscle.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100 Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100 Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Why do calves need high reps? They don't. They just need overload like every other muscle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp
The goal is to either way, kill them past there normal daily abuse.
That about sums it up.

Most people just do the same high rep sets with the same weight week in and week out.

I did step ups for 5 years. I think it worked wonders on my calves. I also did years of heavy weight, focusing on progression. So I have tried both paths. In concert they seemed to work well.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
That about sums it up.

Most people just do the same high rep sets with the same weight week in and week out.

I did step ups for 5 years. I think it worked wonders on my calves. I also did years of heavy weight, focusing on progression. So I have tried both paths. In concert they seemed to work well.
Step-ups play a big role, I reckon...whether you're talking aerobic step-ups where a huge number of repetitions are done or whether it's step-ups onto a high step with a weightload...both have that final push off from the toes which makes the calf muscles really work hard.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Mine were stair steps. I also think step ups were instrumental in my apparent "natural quad size", but that's a topic for another thread.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
piatraelfa
piatraelfa
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

My Mood: Cool
piatraelfa is off to a bad start

My older brother has a word: "whatever works for you".
Obviously, nobody has the 100% accurate recipe for the calves development. Otherwise, we would have seen all the guys competing at Olympia with big calves.
From my personal experience, the calves developed extremely well when i trained them in a circuit.
The workout is like this: choose any 3-4 exercises for calves and then go for dropsets (after a rigurous warm up, obviously) without making any pause when switching the exercise. Do this 2-3 times every second workout, and you'll see the miracle happenening.
piatraelfa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook