Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
flow
flow
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26 Points: 1,940, Level: 26
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

flow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good posts
Default periodization of HLM training

hi there,

i am currently unsure how to train in a periodized way with a HLM or H/L.

I made good results with hlm but the H day was always difficult for me. i start too light or too heavy. My norm was 3x3 and i wonder if its necessary to go THAT heavy each cycle for continous improvement.The L and M days were always good to progess on, but on the H day i used to stall really early.

Also i can only train 2x the week full body so i thought of following periodization:
the most important thing is, that the relation of the heavy and light days is maintained. MY idea would be, that the heavier day gets always heavier and that the light day fits in with is.

So that would be it:

1.cycle: H: 3x8-10 2min rest L: 2x15-20 1 min rest
2.cycle: H: 5x5-6 3min rest L: 3x10-12 90 sec rest
3.cycle: H: 3x3-5 4 min rest L: 3x8-10 2 min rest
repeat
---------------------------------------------------
To sharpen the contrast: On H day i would use babrell exercises and on L day dumbbells and cables. this emphasizes the H/L contrast even more.

Suggestions?
flow

Last edited by flow; 11-04-2011 at 11:50 AM.
flow is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,482,011, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,011, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,011, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

My personal opinion is to stick with rep ranges on heavy days that allow for some progression. I would often work from the 5 to 8 rep range for a given weight, and once I reached 8 reps, I would add more weight. Of course with deadlifts, lower rep sets are often better...perhaps stick with 5's.

Heavy days don't have to be lower reps (under 5), especially if muscle building is a goal. They are primarily just the most taxing training days using the more effective compound lifts.

I would advise you to pick a rep range and progression scheme that you enjoy, and simply focus on adding reps to each set at every opportunity. Add weight when you can.

Lighter days I would focus on "less impactful" lifts (tax the CNS and joints to a milder degree), such as 20 rep squats or lighter squats, dips, pull ups, Arnold presses...that sort of thing.

I don't want to see a lighter day too easy, but I do want it to go easier on the CNS and joints.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-04-2011 at 12:30 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
flow
flow
has no status.
Brawn

flow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good postsflow has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
My personal opinion is to stick with rep ranges on heavy days that allow for some progression. I would often work from the 5 to 8 rep range for a given weight, and once I reached 8 reps, I would add more weight. Of course with deadlifts, lower rep sets are often better...perhaps stick with 5's.

Heavy days don't have to be lower reps (under 5), especially if muscle building is a goal. They are primarily just the most taxing training days using the more effective compound lifts.

I would advise you to pick a rep range and progression scheme that you enjoy, and simply focus on adding reps to each set at every opportunity. Add weight when you can.

Lighter days I would focus on "less impactful" lifts (tax the CNS and joints to a milder degree), such as 20 rep squats or lighter squats, dips, pull ups, Arnold presses...that sort of thing.

I don't want to see a lighter day too easy, but I do want it to go easier on the CNS and joints.
thanks steve for reply.how would you change the reps/exercises after this cycle? This is my main problem

Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,262, Level: 100 Points: 36,262, Level: 100 Points: 36,262, Level: 100
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Didn't we have a massive discussion about this in a thread a while back?

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Heavy days don't have to be lower reps ...They are primarily just the most taxing training days using the more effective compound lifts.

Lighter days I would focus on "less impactful" lifts (tax the CNS and joints to a milder degree), ...that sort of thing.
That's a pretty cool way to organize it.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,262, Level: 100 Points: 36,262, Level: 100 Points: 36,262, Level: 100
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow...-pl-cycle.html

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
flow
flow
has no status.
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
kind of.

the original thread on programming drifted to training while on dieting.
The link you posted was a good start-but my main question is, how to perriodize the HLM intracycle format over the next cycles.

Share with Facebook