Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default "Bulldozer Training" - Rest Pause for Muscle Building

In another thread I mentioned a muscle building system I created for myself a few years back that utilized rest pause. I am posting it for Off Road to peak at. Here are some notes I made in the past:

Original Version

Origins. The Bulldozer Training system is pseudo-mix of Doggcrapp training and Max-Stim training. On the surface, Bulldozer Training doesn’t necessarily look like any of these systems. Here is what I pulled from each…

Doggcrapp Training. Doggcrapp Training focuses on performing 3 sets to failure with a given weight, using a rest-pause system of 10-15 breaths between each set. Bulldozer training uses a similar rest-pause style, but does NOT have you train to failure.

Max-Stim. Max-Stim Training focuses on performing single reps, using just enough rest between reps to be able to perform another. In between ever rep, the weight is set down or racked. Generally, Max Stim trainees perform 20 total reps for each of these rest-pause sets. Bulldozer Training uses the 20 rep per set scheme, but avoids the annoyance of having to rack the weight after every rep. At a point for certain lifts, racking the weight can be more of an effort than performing the reps.

Sets. For a given exercise, pick a weight that you can perform 8-10 reps with. Without training to failure, do as many reps as you can, then rack the weight. Take 10-15 slow, deep breaths, grip the weight, and do more reps. (Again, lifting SHY of failure) Keep repeating this cycle until you hit 20 total reps for that set. There is no need to go beyond 20 reps, but if you still have gas in the tank on your last mini-set, by all means go over the 20 rep total. That’s it. Simple. Effective. And ball-busting.

Mini-sets. A mini-set are the rep units between each 10-15 breath rest-pause. So, if you bench press 205 pounds for 9 reps, rack the weight, then 5 reps, rack the weight, then 3 reps, rack the weight, then 3 reps…you have performed 4 mini-sets on your way to the 20 rep total. I log my sets as such…

* 205 x 9/5/3/3

Progression
. Progression of weight is king. When is it time to move up in weight? Generally, when you can perform the 20 total reps for a set in 5 mini-sets or less. I find that for bench press and overhead pressing, it is almost impossible for me to hit 5 mini-sets…my muscles fatigue much easier. So for these exercises I shoot for 6 mini-sets, then I progress in weight.

Deadlifts. I do NOT recommend performing sets above 3 reps using heavy weight on the deadlift. The deadlift is a unique exercise, and should be treated as such. There are three ways you can approach the deadlift with Bulldozer Training…

1. Singles. Perform single reps, rest-paused, up to a total of 10, 15 or 20 reps. Find the rep range that you are comfortable with, or alternate rep ranges each workout. Rest between reps varies. Rest until you feel strong enough to perform another rep. Generally, a 20 rep rest-pause set should take you 10-15 minutes, and a 10 rep set should take you 5-7 minutes. Progress in weight when you start to feel comfortable with your set.
2. Doubles. Perform two rep mini-sets, up to 10-20 total reps. Progress in weight when you start to feel comfortable with your set.
3. Triples. Perform three rep mini-sets, up to 10-20 total reps. Progress in weight when you start to feel comfortable with your set.

Do what feels good for you. If you do want to cycle rep totals, here is a good way to do so…

* Workout 1. Heavy weight, 10 single reps.
* Workout 2. Heavy weight minus 30 pounds, 15 rep singles.
* Workout 3. heavy weight minus 60 pounds, 20 rep singles.

Squats. If you do not feel comfortable performing Bulldozer style sets with squats, it is OK to switch to another rep/set scheme. I recommend two alternatives…

1. 20 rep set. Perform a single 20 rep set of squats.
2. HHLL. perform 4 sets of squats…first, perform 2 heavy sets of 5 reps, followed by two lighter sets of 8 reps. Mileage may vary.

Later Changes - V 2.0

Expanding Rest Periods. The primary training principle of Bulldozer Training version 2.0 is expanding rest periods. Simply put, the longer you progress into a macro set, the greater your rest periods become between mini-sets. Sounds confusing? Let me clear up all the double talk.

In Bulldozer Training version 2.0, you perform 7 total sets for any given exercise, with limited rest between these sets. The 7 sets are known as a macro set. It’s basically one large set with brief, controlled fatigue periods of rest that allow you to regain strength.

Each of the individual sets within the macro set is known as a mini-set. So, if you are bench pressing, you would perform one macro set comprised of 7 mini-sets. Following this? I hope so.

Here is how each set looks. Again, I will use the bench press as an example.

Bench Press Macro Set

225 x 7 reps (This is one mini-set)

…rest 30 seconds

225 x 3 reps (This is one mini-set)

…rest 30 seconds

225 x 2 reps (This is one mini-set)

…rest 60 seconds

225 x 3 reps (This is one mini-set)

…rest 60 seconds

225 x 4 reps (This is one mini-set)

…rest 90 seconds

225 x 4 reps (This is one mini-set)

…rest 120 seconds

225 x 5 reps (This is one mini-set)

As you can see, you performed 7 mini-sets in one macro set. The rest period pattern between sets was 30, 30, 60, 60, 90, and 120 seconds respectively.

The expanding rest periods allow you to continue to use the same amount of weight without generally compromising rep totals.

Rep Ceilings. Bulldozer Training focuses on weight progression. It should always be your goal to perform more reps then your previous workout. Progression is king. Live for it, dream of it, and strive for it.

So when is it a good idea to move up in weight while using Bulldozer Training version 2.0? I recommend that you bump your weight up by 5 pounds when you hit a total of 32-35 reps over the course of a macro set.

In the above example, the total number of reps performed for all 7 mini-sets was 28. The next time into the gym, try to hit at least 29 total reps. And again, when you achieve 32-35 total reps, bump the weight up. You will find that when you hit 32-35 reps for a given weight that you will start progressing in weight much more quickly.

Say you hit 32-35 reps in the bench press with 225 pounds. The next workout you might find that you hit 30 reps at 230 pounds. And the following workout you nail 34 reps with 230 pounds. Once you hover around the 32-35 rep range for a macro set, it should be a while before you hit a weight that causes you to stall.

5 Set Variations. I also use 5 set variations with the following rest periods:

30/30/60/60 seconds between sets.

Notes

You can pretty much use this style of training in any split format. I ran it for a year and would perform 2 exercises for major muscle groups each week, and one for minor. It took me 3-4 weeks to adapt to this style of training, but once I did my gains were steady for a long time.

There are many ways to build periodization into this system, but the easiest way is to cycle rep goals. Something like this:

Week 1: 50 rep goal
Week 2: 40 rep goal
Week 3: 30 rep goal

This will force you to use different weights each week.

Rep goals can be anything you want, and exercise specific.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I want to add that this is almost 3 years old and I have evolved the approach in my mind several times. I see applications for fullbody, HLM and upper/lower split.

These workouts are short, sweet and always brutal for me. Enjoy.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Thanks for posting BtB. Unfortunately I am limited on time, but I will read it thouroughly when I have more time.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the Walker Dips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,121, Level: 96 Points: 26,121, Level: 96 Points: 26,121, Level: 96
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Thanks for posting BtB. Unfortunately I am limited on time, but I will read it thouroughly when I have more time.
excuses, excuses

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

It is very interesting. Kind of reminds me a little of Density Training.

I kind of like the original version a little better because it's less complicated. The 2.0 version seems better suited to advanced trainees with its varying rest periods and different rep goals every session, a little more complicated than I care for. But I like the overall theme of extending the sets with high percentages of your max. I also completely agree with your assessment of the deadlift, it is better suited to low reps and straight sets. I see the deadlift as more of an overall strength lift, not so much a muscle-building lift used with volume.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

It sounds more complicated than it is. It's simply cluster training with structured rest periods and rep goals to guide progression.

Anything can be adjusted...reps, rest, whatever.

Share with Facebook