Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!
Default Rear Delts

I've put this here because it seems like the right place to ask the question.

All input will be appreciated, however the only equipment available is: barbell, dumbbells, kettlebells...so answers based around those pieces of equipment will be much more helpful.

I could use the gym but it won't be a good long-term option.

I want to get the rear delts up a bit and would like some advice on decent exercises for them; pull-ups/chins are out due to the TOS and upperbody strength and grip (TOS related; Thoracic Outlet Syndrome).

Bent Over Lateral Raises is about the only exercise I can think of that directly targets them...can people advice on any other exercises that I might be able to incorporate and even a recommended ratio of the exercise in relation to presses and so forth which are using the front delts etc. Please feel free to advise on how deadlifts and other such exercises may or may not target the rear delts; it will all be helpful to other readers, nothing is too trivial.

Thanks guys.

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
austin.j.taylor
austin.j.taylor
does wayyy too many strongman contests
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

one arm rows are a great way to hit the rear delts. Also if you got a cable, which i didnt see if you did, facepulls are awesome.
Deadlift: 473
Push Press: 235X3
Clean and Strict Press: 175X3
12 inch Log Press: 250
Yoke: 650X18.5'
Atlas Stone: 300 over 48" bar
Hummer Tire Dead: 500X3
18" Deadlift: 550
Many more PR's to come
Youtube user name: Coachlefty
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.j.taylor View Post
one arm rows are a great way to hit the rear delts. Also if you got a cable, which i didnt see if you did, facepulls are awesome.
No cables for facepulls any other way to replicate those, I've heard they seem to do the job really well.

One arm rows, I'll make sure I get those incorporated; they will be easier than bent over raises which just seem, well, awkward, for me anyway and I can't seem to get a decent amount of weight on them.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,544, Level: 75 Points: 13,544, Level: 75 Points: 13,544, Level: 75
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I don't train front or rear dealts directly. I find that when I work back, chest, and shoulders those two little guys get plenty of work.

A good replacement for face pulls is bent over rows to the chest. If you stand up slightly taller compared to a full bent over row then you'll hit the rear delts and upper back really well. That one is also good for full trap development, instead of wasting time on shrugs that only hit the upper traps.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
I don't train front or rear dealts directly. I find that when I work back, chest, and shoulders those two little guys get plenty of work.

A good replacement for face pulls is bent over rows to the chest. If you stand up slightly taller compared to a full bent over row then you'll hit the rear delts and upper back really well. That one is also good for full trap development, instead of wasting time on shrugs that only hit the upper traps.
Many thanks

Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/gen...tml#post182539

The one I wrote about here works well. I'm also loving Band Pull Aparts at the moment.

Last edited by Fazc; 10-27-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Definitely Rows. Or you could get some bands to do face pulls.
I like rear laterals, but if they don't fit you then it's not worth the effort really.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Haven't seen that one before, many thanks Fazc, I may be able to rig something up.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Definitely Rows. Or you could get some bands to do face pulls.
I like rear laterals, but if they don't fit you then it's not worth the effort really.
Bands don't really work so well for me, I've tried them before; they just seem to cut into the hands and I'm liable to damage the house

Rows, check

Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
Pull14
Pull14
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

Rear delts will really come into place with any type of horizontal pulling. To get them a little more involved flare your elbows to the side with rowing lifts (barbell/db). My personal favorite is a snatched grip barbell row, pulled towards upper chest/collar bone with elbows flared. If I'm targeting the r. delts specifically I'll pull my shoulder blades together which will take a little bit away from the rest of the upper back.

Others... rear delt swings; same as the rear delt raise/bent over lat raises but use some body language and momentum to get the weight up -- use heavier weight for pretty high reps.

In a programming/ratio sense, keep upper body pulling volume about the same or a bit higher than pressing volume. Bang for your buck type stuff could involve flaring the elbows a bit more on the pulling. At the end of the training session add in 3-5 high repped sets of rear delt work 2-3 times a week.

Stuff like deads certainly do pull in the rear delts, but not the extent of training them directly or performing a lift (rows) with an emphasis on the rear delts/upper back. Snatches and cleans also will work them quite a bit, but if its a weak area, they will still need to be trained.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook