Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #11
jwood
jwood
has no status.
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,492, Level: 93 Points: 22,492, Level: 93 Points: 22,492, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
My Mood: Aggressive
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Good luck with that, I think he will see why you like it

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2010, 12:49 AM   #12
dmaipa
dmaipa
focused and ready
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Inspired
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

Alright guys..had the conversation with my colleague, and it didn't really go the best. He got really offended. He thought that since he's been around in the field longer than i have, that for me to have different views than him were crazy. I showed him a couple articles talking about how the westside template is, and what it can do along with the pro's and con's for the template, but he wasn't buying it. So? I'm gonna do it my damn self, and i told him it'll be a good experiment to compare the two. His linear progression vs. my westside training..let the battle begin!

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #13
jhuse2
jhuse2
has no status.
Big Tex
Max Brawn
Points: 2,522, Level: 30 Points: 2,522, Level: 30 Points: 2,522, Level: 30

My Mood: Happy
jhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good postsjhuse2 has made some very good posts

I sorry the guy is so thick headed that he can't even take suggestions. In the railroad industry there is a old saying, "once you stop learning or think you know it all it is time for you to get out before you hurt yourself or someone else. Keep us posted.
DEAD LIFTS: . . . . . . . .255/300/435
OVERHEAD PRESS: . . . . 110/135/170

Transformation Contest BULK
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...test-bulk.html
Workout Log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...ngth-form.html
~HOT SH!T.. ROCK & ROLL~
jhuse2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #14
kman025
kman025
out of shape :)
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72

My Mood: Daring
kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaipa View Post
Alright guys..had the conversation with my colleague, and it didn't really go the best. He got really offended. He thought that since he's been around in the field longer than i have, that for me to have different views than him were crazy. I showed him a couple articles talking about how the westside template is, and what it can do along with the pro's and con's for the template, but he wasn't buying it. So? I'm gonna do it my damn self, and i told him it'll be a good experiment to compare the two. His linear progression vs. my westside training..let the battle begin!
now theres some motivation to kick ass
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)

Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #15
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Thick headed people suck ass. I hate to say this, but I have to....if you discount Westside, you have no business training anyone.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #16
dmaipa
dmaipa
focused and ready
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Inspired
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Thick headed people suck ass. I hate to say this, but I have to....if you discount Westside, you have no business training anyone.
Thats how i feel BTB..although i been in the strength & conditioning field for 3 years I've been trying to attain as much information, knowledge, and network with as many people in the strength training world . My colleague has been in the field for 6+ years but I sense he stays in his comfort area and not open to going outside of it...but we'll see..looking forward to this battle though..keep you all posted in my log..

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2010, 12:22 AM   #17
Bodybygamma
Bodybygamma
No B.S. approach
Strongman/Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75 Points: 13,632, Level: 75
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 3+years PL/SM Comps
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: DEATH-LIFT
Fav Supp: Muscle-Juice/MonsterRehab
My Mood: Aggressive
Bodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master memberBodybygamma is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_716 View Post
If it was me I just wouldn't lift with them. The trainer at my gym doesn't agree with my workouts. I ask him questions now and then just to make him think I need his input. IMO experience is the best teacher period. No book can teach you what it feels like to hit a muscle. Each persons body is different and experience is the best teacher. What works for some won't work for others.
Well said! I pretty much agree with everyone here, but here is my 2cents on it.

The only successful training method is the one that makes your lift the most weight consistently; and for me its always been insanity, screaming and yelling. Training programs are only guidelines. Programs don't put pounds on your total, your mind and body do. Most strength training is CNS training IMO.

My advice for powerlifting is a step by step process before you do any programs.

1) make sure everyone knows the basics such as FORM.
how to use lats on the bench press
how to keep your knees spread and toes pointed out on squats
how to set up properly for the deadlift not the olympic clean
etc...

2) is maxing out and creating a total once proper form is used. You can't work on a training program based off %'s if you don't have a true max lift.

3)Templates are only guide lines, outside of compound movements and rep schemes training should be instinctive, based on ones weakness's.
Bodybygamma is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #18
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybygamma View Post
Well said! I pretty much agree with everyone here, but here is my 2cents on it.

The only successful training method is the one that makes your lift the most weight consistently; and for me its always been insanity, screaming and yelling. Training programs are only guidelines. Programs don't put pounds on your total, your mind and body do. Most strength training is CNS training IMO.

My advice for powerlifting is a step by step process before you do any programs.

1) make sure everyone knows the basics such as FORM.
how to use lats on the bench press
how to keep your knees spread and toes pointed out on squats
how to set up properly for the deadlift not the olympic clean
etc...

2) is maxing out and creating a total once proper form is used. You can't work on a training program based off %'s if you don't have a true max lift.

3)Templates are only guide lines, outside of compound movements and rep schemes training should be instinctive, based on ones weakness's.
Well said.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook