Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Appreciation Threads

Notices

Appreciation Threads Lifter Appreciation Threads. Contains resources, pictures, workouts, videos and articles on specific lifters.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #31
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,506,898, Level: 100 Points: 1,506,898, Level: 100 Points: 1,506,898, Level: 100
Activity: 69% Activity: 69% Activity: 69%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Its kind of the same with women, wanting to get thinner, while they dont realize *most* guys like a well endowed figure compared to a skinny figure.
I sure do. I think women look healthier at 150 than they do at 120.

We were watching a documentary today and this 18 year old was talking about wanting a six pack because "women want six packs". Too much programming from rap videos, MTV or whatever.

It's been my personal experience, having been both thin with a six pack as a runner and later carring 15 to 20 extra pounds of muscle but not ripped, that I always had an easier time with women when I was muscular without the six pack.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #32
kitarpyar
kitarpyar
is a rank novice now
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Aggressive
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Found this. Quite respectfully, I disagree with the ironguru.

Vince Gironda's Bodybuilding For Beginners | Iron Guru
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #33
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I sure do. I think women look healthier at 150 than they do at 120.

We were watching a documentary today and this 18 year old was talking about wanting a six pack because "women want six packs". Too much programming from rap videos, MTV or whatever.

It's been my personal experience, having been both thin with a six pack as a runner and later carring 15 to 20 extra pounds of muscle but not ripped, that I always had an easier time with women when I was muscular without the six pack.
Women want a guy with a great character (well, the good ones do, anyway; probably the same for males where females are concerned).

Those sissy squats, as in the vid earlier in the thread, are strange; I've never seen them done that way before. These days, they go into the initial "sissy squat" position but don't bottom out to a "normal" squat position, instead they just go straight down maintaining that set position.

Any thoughts on this? Were the vid style, the original version squats? Are they mechanically better for the body on the whole than those done today? Just some thoughts that have sprung to mind, since I saw them in the vid.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #34
Chillen
Chillen
Current Pic/Nov 30th, 2012: Rocken Lean
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
My Mood: Inspired
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Why can't we just be ourselves, work toward the fitness goals we want, making "what" other people "want" irrelevent? Most things will fall into place, cause, there is always a person whom fits another out there somewhere. My wife likes a bigger person too (more weight not height), but I do not see her walking anwhere. Its because her love is more than physical attraction. I just told her, this ISNT what I want to be (at nearing 50-anyway), and she accepts this (not that she had a choice). Ones gold mine is anothers trash. One's trash is anothers gold mine.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #35
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,506,898, Level: 100 Points: 1,506,898, Level: 100 Points: 1,506,898, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post

Any thoughts on this? Were the vid style, the original version squats? Are they mechanically better for the body on the whole than those done today? Just some thoughts that have sprung to mind, since I saw them in the vid.
I wish I had the answer. I thought they looked bizarre as well. Imagine trying to teach them to the masses that can't figure out anything beyond basics exercises.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #36
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
Found this. Quite respectfully, I disagree with the ironguru.

Vince Gironda's Bodybuilding For Beginners | Iron Guru
Interesting program, heavy on the isolations.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #37
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Found this:

Quote:
5. In sharp contrast to what most experts say, Vince believed that beginning bodybuilders should train six days a week-not the three to four days a week you see advocated today. He reasoned that beginners are so full of energy and enthusiasm, that six days a week was good for them. He ruffled a lot of feathers with this one.

Article Source: Top 10 Controversial Vince Gironda Beliefs

Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #38
kitarpyar
kitarpyar
is a rank novice now
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Aggressive
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

^^^ For rank beginners, 1st month training, that may be a really good idea. Also, when you look at his beginners routine, full of isolations and none of the big compounds, I think 6x week should not be excessively taxing.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #39
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Well I imagine if you don't use much weight

Not sure what weight Vince advocated for these programs, but DOMS could still be a killer.

The problem I have experienced with beginners is that they have no "off" button when it comes to volume or weight, and when you get them in a gym and they have super high motivation they will almost always try to do more.

I get these sorts of questions en masse daily. Can I do more, more, more? More weight, more volume, more days!

I personally would never tell any beginner to hit the gym more than 3 days per week because unsupervised they will end up overworking, and be in a near DOMS coma the next day. The latter can often kill motivation and they may not go back for weeks or months.

I am Mr. Miyagi style of nothing. Do what I say or train yourself. Boys were probably more respectful back in Gironda's day though. Nowadays most don't care if I have 20 inch arms and can deadlift 6 and a quarter...if they don't like my opinion they won't hesitate to ignore it and do whatever they want.

I have guys out there right now on the most brutal workouts I have ever designed that complain they feel underworked. 20 rep squats? Dude that was easy so I did 4 sets, but is it normal to have so much pain? I think I got injured.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-08-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Share with Facebook