Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default A Note to Bodybuilders

Rich brought up the fact that bodybuilders don't like it here because I stress eating big. A couple of points I wanted to mention to any lurking, competitive bodybuilders:

1) My advice isn't for intermediate to advanced bodybuilders. They know how to eat and train, and have very specific and unique goals.
2) Most novices that ask me for help are both undereating and undertraining. I am not trying to turn anyone into a sumo wrestler. The approach I advocate is aimed at facilitating muscle gain, not excessive fat gain.

I understand that right now I am a bigger guy, and into powerlifting. But long before I worried about strength I was obsessed with only muscle. I built a solid amount of muscle in my first 2 years of training, and though I stay around 270 right now, I weighed under 210 most of my adult life.

I firmly believe that the fastest way to build muscle is to train hard and eat harder. I tend to not view things in terms of contest cycles and off-seasons because very few of us are competitive bodybuilders. I am trying to help beginners maximize progress as fast as possible.

Novices can add quite a bit of muscle in the first 2 years of hard training, but if they eat too finely they risk a dramatic reduction in this rate.

As someone who has walked in both worlds, I know there are many things we can learn about both. I have gained both strength and size, but am no expert. One thing I do know is this:

If you are young, and still have a fast metabolism, I am confident that if you listen to my advice I can turn you into a beast within 2-3 years.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-30-2011 at 12:41 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I think the input from various sporting endeavours is always welcome. It's great to get advice from a different angle.

In fact, I recently consulted a bodybuilder from this very forum for diet advice! I hardly ever go to people for advice anymore, and I went to him as a fully fledged bodybuilder because I believed he had insight into an issue I was struggling with.

Bodybuilders, Figure Competitors, Oly Lifters, Strongmen and whoever else! All welcome as far as I'm concerned!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100 Points: 1,518,123, Level: 100
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post

Bodybuilders, Figure Competitors, Oly Lifters, Strongmen and whoever else! All welcome as far as I'm concerned!
Yes, please.

I love bodybuilding. It's my first passion. I learn from everyone.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
SeventySeven
SeventySeven
Pursuing progression with aggression
Max Brawn
Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Tournaments Won: 1

Training Exp: 1 year+
Fav Supp: Xtend
My Mood: Twisted
SeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machine

I think this sets the record straight.
SeventySeven is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Very well sead.

May want to make this a sticky so it don't get buried.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

We are one big happy family. Let's eat.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,367, Level: 97 Points: 26,367, Level: 97 Points: 26,367, Level: 97
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Load up the barbell and pass the steak!

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
emekajokammor
emekajokammor
is doin work
Menace
Max Brawn
Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64 Points: 9,293, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Probably seated row
Fav Supp: Anabolic Pump
My Mood: Inspired
emekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beastemekajokammor is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Yes, please.

I love bodybuilding. It's my first passion. I learn from everyone.
I didn't know that BTB, niice

www.EmekaOkammor.com

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Luke 1:37
"For with God nothing shall be impossible."

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series V.I.P. Athlete

www.thesimplefitness.com
emekajokammor is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
MC
MC
is plotting World Domination from the Phantom Zone
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
My Mood: Aggressive
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Rich brought up the fact that bodybuilders don't like it here because I stress eating big.
I don't get this. I mean, I understand and trust what Rich is expressing, but I don't get why people would focus in your bulking advice and shy away from the site because of it.

I didn't get big until I started eating big while lifting hard. I certainly didn't have the patience for a "slow, clean bulk" where I gain maybe .5 pound a month for 2 years, so I've accepted my fat gain along with my muscle gains.

Now, I don't have a desire to be shredded, but I will eventually cut some fat and at that point, well, yeah, I think the site seems to have a relative dearth of advice and articles on how to lean down without losing tons of muscle (and also on how to add those last few pounds of muscle with minimal fat gains). Heck, I figure I'll just hit up Rich or Titan for advice.

So, as far as your advice on eating, I think it's taken out of context. Bulking is about building yourself up (with quality foods, as you always mention) in order to get bigger and stronger. I can't see the benefit (at first) in doing this slowly as I have found a lack of clear and tangible gains to be discouraging.

I appreciate more than anything the fact that this site has a bunch of people with a bunch of varied goals sharing advice and giving feedback.

Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

It's always been this way. If you have a big powerlifter looking guy (like BtB), and he says to "eat big to get big", then the message is taken out of context. On the other hand, if you have a lean bodybuilder saying the exact same thing, suddenly it's gospel.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook