Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Articles

Notices

Articles Bodybuilding, Powerlifting, Nutrition, Supplement Articles.

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Old
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,350,923, Level: 100 Points: 1,350,923, Level: 100 Points: 1,350,923, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Fat Loss Nutrition
by BendtheBar 09-22-2011, 12:00 AM

Fat Loss Nutrition

T NATION | Fat Loss Nutrition

"Here are the Cliff Notes:

* A Paleo/caveman-style diet is a simple template from which everyone can start. Eliminating most man-made, modern, processed, and refined foods and emphasizing natural foods that we evolved from can go a long way in improving health markers while helping achieve physique enhancement goals.
* However, high intensity exercise creates a unique metabolic environment and changes how the body processes nutrients for 24-48 hours upon completion of a training session. If you exercise 3-5 days a week, your body is virtually in recovery mode 100% of the time. It's an altered physiological state beyond pure resting conditions, thus its nutritional needs are completely different from the average, sedentary, overweight office worker.
* We should keep in mind that surviving in the wild during caveman times is different than achieving elite performance or physique goals in modern times. "Life extensionism" at the cost of a sickly appearance, low libido/Testosterone, and an overall lack of "bad-assery" is not what the average T NATION guy is looking for.
"

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Views 399 Comments 8
Sponsored Links
Total Comments 8

Comments

Old 09-22-2011, 05:39 AM   #2
Muscletrainerdh
Muscletrainerdh
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 20+
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: DB Step Ups.. LOL:)
Fav Supp: F.O.O.D
My Mood: Cheeky
Muscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributorMuscletrainerdh is a consistent contributor

I've read the Paleo Solution and I'm reading Paleo for Endurance athletes, I guess when people seen "No Refined, Man Made Food" they automatically assume "LOW CARB" but truthfully, you can still eat a lot of vegetables and some Fruit (Depending on how obese you are). Just no "Grains". Fruits and Vegetables contain more nutrients than grains and they *ARE* mostly carbohydrate! LOL
Muscletrainerdh is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2011, 06:16 AM   #3
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscletrainerdh View Post
I've read the Paleo Solution and I'm reading Paleo for Endurance athletes, I guess when people seen "No Refined, Man Made Food" they automatically assume "LOW CARB" but truthfully, you can still eat a lot of vegetables and some Fruit (Depending on how obese you are). Just no "Grains". Fruits and Vegetables contain more nutrients than grains and they *ARE* mostly carbohydrate! LOL
Fruits are a fibrous simple carb.

Veggies burn as many carbs to digest them as they have in them. Thats why so many people won't count then in dieting down and nutritionists say "Eat as many veggies as you want."
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

My rules for fat loss:

#1 - Reduce calories slowly until weight-loss starts
#2 - When weight-loss stalls, recuce calories a little more
#3 - Remain active and train for strength to maintain muscle
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,350,923, Level: 100 Points: 1,350,923, Level: 100 Points: 1,350,923, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Life extensionism" at the cost of a sickly appearance
I've never seen a "sickly Paleoist". I would suggest reading Nutritional and Physical Degeneration by Weston Price.

Quote:
thus its nutritional needs are completely different from the average, sedentary, overweight office worker.
Obvious, but I don't like the implied connection that's being drawn here. When I picture Paleolithic man, I picture someone who exercised more than I did. Maybe I am missing his point.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-22-2011 at 08:57 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
Shadowschmadow
Shadowschmadow
aka El Cappy-Tan
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Snotput Champion! Soccer Tournament Champion!
Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
My Mood: Tired
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscletrainerdh View Post

I very much despise the "Paleo" crowd, and now the word - because of those who fall into that category. Every time I hear the word "paleo", my eyes roll into the back of my head and I want to scream like a 13 y/o girl. I find their logic that they are somehow following in the footsteps of early man is very comical to me, to say the least.

Don't get me wrong, the basic principal surrounding paleo is something that I would heavily advocate, for the most part. Healthy fats, meats, fruits, veggies, fish and an active lifestyle is something I believe everybody should follow. That's a no-brainer. However, all the blind hatred surrounding carbohydrates/grains, and extreme emphasis placed on the hormone insulin, is nothing more than misinformation spread by the authors who market the "paleo" diet. And their misguided understanding of saturated fats are perfectly fine to consume (and often recommending rather high intake), when saturated fats can in fact be unhealthy, but it is highly dependant on the context of the individual.

Grains and even processed carbs are fine, and will have little to no effect of general health when all of the other criteria of a healthy diet and active lifestyle are met. However, just like anything else, they need to be kept in check and consumed in moderation.

Last edited by Shadowschmadow; 09-22-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Shadowschmadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Grains and even processed carbs are fine, and will have little to no effect of general health when all of the other criteria of a healthy diet and active lifestyle are met. However, just like anything else, they need to be kept in check and consumed in moderation.
How dare you bring moderation and logic into the discussion. What will people argue about?
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
Shadowschmadow
Shadowschmadow
aka El Cappy-Tan
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Snotput Champion! Soccer Tournament Champion!
Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
My Mood: Tired
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
How dare you bring moderation and logic into the discussion. What will people argue about?
I'm sure they'll find something. Probably insulin. Every time I make a post like this on any forum, the paleo people always want to argue the godliness of insulin.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I very much despise the "Paleo" crowd, and now the word - because of those who fall into that category. Every time I hear the word "paleo", my eyes roll into the back of my head and I want to scream like a 13 y/o girl. I find their logic that they are somehow following in the footsteps of early man is very comical to me, to say the least.

Don't get me wrong, the basic principal surrounding paleo is something that I would heavily advocate, for the most part. Healthy fats, meats, fruits, veggies, fish and an active lifestyle is something I believe everybody should follow. That's a no-brainer. However, all the blind hatred surrounding carbohydrates/grains, and extreme emphasis placed on the hormone insulin, is nothing more than misinformation spread by the authors who market the "paleo" diet. And their misguided understanding of saturated fats are perfectly fine to consume (and often recommending rather high intake), when saturated fats can in fact be unhealthy, but it is highly dependant on the context of the individual.

Its just like anything else now days.
"Put your own twist on it, a fancy name, and people will break down your door to pay for the common sense."

I'm a F/BB/N Joint Communication Code Discussion Annalist myself.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook