Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements > Low Carb & Paleo Diet

Notices

Low Carb & Paleo Diet A forum to discuss low carb and Paleo diet easting approaches.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
Carl1174
Carl1174
is trying to take the first step in a long road back...
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine
Default Paleo/low carb for bulking ?

I think most people on here know a little about low carbing, paleo etc when trying to cut fat, but if you really upped the calories, could it/would it work for bulking. Or is there a specific reason we need more carbs when trying to gain weight (like the fact they are protein sparing or something like that)..

Just curious...

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the Walker Dips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 25,031, Level: 95 Points: 25,031, Level: 95 Points: 25,031, Level: 95
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
I think most people on here know a little about low carbing, paleo etc when trying to cut fat, but if you really upped the calories, could it/would it work for bulking. Or is there a specific reason we need more carbs when trying to gain weight (like the fact they are protein sparing or something like that)..

Just curious...

Carl.
C-man, great avi btw.

Check out some of Layne Norton's stuff. He promotes primarily low carb with carbs around workouts. He has written some good stuff recently on this issue.

Seeking to be transformed, not conformed!

Become a disciple of the bar. - glwanabe

The Official Get Fit For The King Website

Yasen Miroslav Zavadil
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
Carl1174
Carl1174
Max Brawn

Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

thanks Bam, ill take a look.

and thanks

Carl.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 11,777, Level: 71 Points: 11,777, Level: 71 Points: 11,777, Level: 71
Activity: 45% Activity: 45% Activity: 45%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

If I were to bulk I would use the exact same diet I'm not now, which is low carb during the week with a carb up on the weekend. I've read about people bulking on it just by upping calories during carb ups, and upping how long they do the carb ups. I'm only doing 1 day a week of carbs to try to cut fat, but if one were to up that to 2 or even 3 days I bet it would be perfect for bulking.

If you train 3 days a week then those could be your high carb days, with low carb on off days to improve insulin sensativity and avoid gaining fat.

I know from experience that cycling carbs like this gives you a huge increase in insulin sensativity so that when you do get carbs they really do what you want them to; make you bigger and stronger.

Insulin is really anabolic. All the top bodybuilders are actually injecting this stuff, although they all use it differently because of the extreme risk involved. My point is that you don't want to completely give up on the good stuff that your body can already make naturally.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
Shadowschmadow
Shadowschmadow
aka El Cappy-Tan
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Snotput Champion! Soccer Tournament Champion!
Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
My Mood: Tired
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

IMO, carbs or low-carb is rather insignificant. The only thing that really matters when you bulk is that you are eating adequately.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:

Just curious...

Carl.
You can certainly bulk on Paleo. Many of the old school lifters ate diets rich in fat and weren't downing rice and various grains heavily throughout the day.

Here's what Doug Hepburn did back in the day:

Quote:
At 18, after his high school years – he wasn’t much of a student – Doug was hired to work on a poultry farm. His compensation was $3.00 a day and all the eggs he could eat. By that time he was already heavily into lifting weights and he weighed 200-plus solid pounds at 5’8 ”. Doug also had a second job, but that position paid only an additional $1.50. So with $4.50 in his pocket every day and al the eggs he could eat, he set up the following mass building diet plan: For breakfast, lunch and dinner he ate 18 eggs and a bunch of bananas, and he drank a half gallon of whole milk. That’s 54 eggs and a gallon and a half of whole milk every 24 hours.
Now granted this isn't strict Paleo, but it's far from a conventional grain-based diet. Paleo isn't anti-carb, but it does dissuade grain and legume use.

My only point is that it can be done. Watch your overall calorie intake.

I get very excited personally about the prospect of folks trying bulks on Paleo using proper calorie intake. I think it has great potential.

I would allow yourself one day a week to eat loosely...to fit in social gatherings and special events.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Since I'm more of a general lifter type, and not a bodybuilder type, I am less phobic about carbs. But I have noticed that if I center my carbs around training that there is a better chance I'll be happier when looking in the mirror.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
Carl1174
Carl1174
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
You can certainly bulk on Paleo. Many of the old school lifters ate diets rich in fat and weren't downing rice and various grains heavily throughout the day.

Here's what Doug Hepburn did back in the day:

Now granted this isn't strict Paleo, but it's far from a conventional grain-based diet. Paleo isn't anti-carb, but it does dissuade grain and legume use.

My only point is that it can be done. Watch your overall calorie intake.

I get very excited personally about the prospect of folks trying bulks on Paleo using proper calorie intake. I think it has great potential.

I would allow yourself one day a week to eat loosely...to fit in social gatherings and special events.
I think I am gonna try the IA diet that I did to lose 10lbs a few months back, but ram up the calories and try to see if I can bulk with it after vacation

Carl.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the Walker Dips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 25,031, Level: 95 Points: 25,031, Level: 95 Points: 25,031, Level: 95
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
I think I am gonna try the IA diet
What is this, for the uninformed?

Seeking to be transformed, not conformed!

Become a disciple of the bar. - glwanabe

The Official Get Fit For The King Website

Yasen Miroslav Zavadil
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
Carl1174
Carl1174
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
What is this, for the uninformed?
Its basically carb cycling, by Iron Addict, worked really well for losing some fat earlier in the year (about 10lbs in 6 weeks) I think It could be a good approach for lean bulking if I put the calories up enough. Carbs only allowed PWO and a re-feed/carb up (where you eat at 'normal' 30/40/40 macros) every 4-5 days...

Carl.

Share with Facebook