Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Exercise Form

Notices

Exercise Form Videos, articles and resources to help you with your squat, deadlift, bench press form and more.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
Carl1174
Carl1174
is trying to take the first step in a long road back...
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine
Default Form Critique...

Steve and I thought it would be a good idea if there was one thread where we could all get critiqued on or lifts and get help and advice if needed. So post up your videos of your lifts, whatever they may be and have the members here help to point you in the right direction.

Whether it is Squat, Deadlift, Bench or any other lift, post up the videos and we will help where we can.

No one will be ridiculed or laughed at, this is purely for help and advice, the weight is unimportant its just the technique that will be looked at.

The more angles you can get the lift filmed from the better.

Here is my most recent deadlift 1rm (160kg) any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated (as this has become a bit of a sticking point for me)

I will definitely be getting a bench video up soon as well as I feel from reading some posts on here Im not doing things quite right.

Carl.

Last edited by Carl1174; 07-26-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Szelago
Szelago
120 lbs LOST!!!
44 yr bulk phase complete
Max Brawn
Points: 2,936, Level: 33 Points: 2,936, Level: 33 Points: 2,936, Level: 33
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 1yr since coming back
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Leg Press
Fav Supp: Thank god for elastamine!
My Mood: Inspired
Szelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributor

Carl, I'm no expert, but it looked good to me.

In the mirror of adversity we see what we are truly made of.
Szelago is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,470,776, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,776, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,776, Level: 100
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
You're doing a lot of things correctly.

A couple tips:

Lockout: You're curling the weight up a bit at the end to finish the lockout. Instead, thrust your hips forward and lean back. Keep those arms straight and let the hips and and the lean pull that weight up.

Head: You're doing a good job of lowering your hips into a good leverage point. But, your head dips down when you start the deadlift - this causes your hips to rise and you RDL slightly. Focus on leading with the head. Where the head goes, the body follows.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I can't tell for sure, but was there a little arm bend there?
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
T-Bone
T-Bone
in the groove.
The Beardo Weirdo
Max Brawn
Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 7
Fav Exercise: Squat
My Mood: Inspired
T-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Head: You're doing a good job of lowering your hips into a good leverage point. But, your head dips down when you start the deadlift - this causes your hips to rise and you RDL slightly. Focus on leading with the head. Where the head goes, the body follows.
I noticed this too, almost like you tilt forward. Glad you posted the vid Carl, because I can take this critique and apply it to my deads on Thurs.

"There's nothing wrong with being a large mammal." - Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison - The Doors (1991)

Sergey Krastio Trelawny
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
J_Byrd
J_Byrd
is the bomb!
Max Brawn
Points: 20,500, Level: 90 Points: 20,500, Level: 90 Points: 20,500, Level: 90
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
You're doing a lot of things correctly.

A couple tips:

Lockout: You're curling the weight up a bit at the end to finish the lockout. Instead, thrust your hips forward and lean back. Keep those arms straight and let the hips and and the lean pull that weight up.

For my money BTB was on point. Very solid advice.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
Creechur
Creechur
is back in action
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,725, Level: 38 Points: 3,725, Level: 38 Points: 3,725, Level: 38
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Battle With Vader Champion! Ball Bounce Champion!
Training Exp: 3 years
Fav Supp: Sweat
My Mood: Yeehaw
Creechur has made some very good postsCreechur has made some very good postsCreechur has made some very good postsCreechur has made some very good postsCreechur has made some very good postsCreechur has made some very good postsCreechur has made some very good postsCreechur has made some very good postsCreechur has made some very good postsCreechur has made some very good postsCreechur has made some very good posts

The two things that BtB pointed out are true, but I was going to count the lift as perfect Carl. It is important not to curl the weight though because that's how you get bicep tears. I'm glad you started this thread because I was going to make one this week for lifts anyways haha! Here's my bench and squat 3x3's.

Creechur is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2011, 02:37 AM   #8
Carl1174
Carl1174
is trying to take the first step in a long road back...
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Thanks for the tips guys, I noticed a RDL'ed the lift slightly at the beginning and didnt think it was my head, so thats really helpful.

Glad people approve of the thread. Hopefully we can all get some good feedback and help each other here

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,470,776, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,776, Level: 100 Points: 1,470,776, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creechur View Post
It is important not to curl the weight though because that's how you get bicep tears.
Good point. I've seen this happen several times.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #10
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

[quote=Creechur;156261]

Squat and bench look solid to me Creech.

Share with Facebook