Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
CLEEPER
CLEEPER
says like NIke "Just do it"
Max Brawn
Points: 5,980, Level: 50 Points: 5,980, Level: 50 Points: 5,980, Level: 50
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: Classic
Fav Exercise: Behind the neck press
Fav Supp: Fusion 7 Protien
My Mood: Amused
CLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beast
Default Rack pulls to improve dead lift?

My Dead lift is not really on par and I would like to get my back stronger to be able to lock out at the top better on dead lifts with out rounding my back. Is this a good way to do that or just keep dead lifting and looking for progression to let it build all together?
CLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

My deadlift lags a bit too, mostly due to an injury. But some big lifters have always given me the advice to always pull from different heights. Say one day full range, the next day from just below the knees, and another day at the knees. You get the idea, just mix it up.

Brooks Kubik suggests starting with a higher rack pull and lower the bar every session until you are pulling from the floor with the same weight. I've never tried it but it sounds interesting. One problem with this is you need small adjustments in your rack.

One more thing, rack pulls can bend a good bar. Better to pull from blocks, most guys feel it's more natural too.

Last edited by Off Road; 07-17-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
Spartigus
Spartigus
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
My Mood: Sleepy
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

I am no expert on deadlifts. But from what I have read and learnt, barbell rows are very good for the deadlift, and so are good mornings. I have never really done rack pulls though.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
CLEEPER
CLEEPER
Max Brawn

CLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beastCLEEPER is a lifting beast

I may give them a shot in the future, feel them out anyways. I have seen many on here doing them and just wondering what advantage there is to not just picking up from a dead lift position.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEEPER View Post
My Dead lift is not really on par and I would like to get my back stronger to be able to lock out at the top better on dead lifts with out rounding my back. Is this a good way to do that or just keep dead lifting and looking for progression to let it build all together?
Off topic, do you focus on hip drive through the deadlift lockout?

Back rounding can come from a number of form flaws, including head positioning, which is generally number one. If you lead the deadlift with the head, and focus on standing up, it will help a lot with the back rounding. Don't focus on lifting or leg pressing the weight off the ground.

A lot of lifters start the lift and they start to look down. The body follows the head. When the eyes/head go down the hips come up, and your back rounds too much.

Start the deadlift by moving your head up, next focus on standing up with the bar in your hands instead of pulling it, and finally thrust your hips forward during lockout, like you were having sex with the bar.

As far as rack deads, they can help, but for some they don't do much. I might suggest RDLs instead. Check out the Rippetoe video on the site. I think the RDL may be more beneficial for you right now. It will help you focus on that lower back and keeping it tight, and will help build lockout strength.

You certainly could add rack deads to this equation.High pulls are also a good choice.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
CLEEPER
CLEEPER
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Off topic, do you focus on hip drive through the deadlift lockout?

Back rounding can come from a number of form flaws, including head positioning, which is generally number one. If you lead the deadlift with the head, and focus on standing up, it will help a lot with the back rounding. Don't focus on lifting or leg pressing the weight off the ground.

A lot of lifters start the lift and they start to look down. The body follows the head. When the eyes/head go down the hips come up, and your back rounds too much.

Start the deadlift by moving your head up, next focus on standing up with the bar in your hands instead of pulling it, and finally thrust your hips forward during lockout, like you were having sex with the bar.

As far as rack deads, they can help, but for some they don't do much. I might suggest RDLs instead. Check out the Rippetoe video on the site. I think the RDL may be more beneficial for you right now. It will help you focus on that lower back and keeping it tight, and will help build lockout strength.

You certainly could add rack deads to this equation.High pulls are also a good choice.
Ill focus on keeping my head up next time. Not sure if I do now but it makes sense to keep it up.
I do straight leg dead lifts on monday, Regular dead lifts on friday. So tomorrow when I do straight leg, ill make it a point to look up before lifting the bar.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 34,166, Level: 100 Points: 34,166, Level: 100 Points: 34,166, Level: 100
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I sometimes pull from rack becaouse it lets me handle weights far heavier than i can pull from the floor, and it is not as taxing as pulls from the floor. If it helps the lockout? Yes, in a way. Doing rack lockout or speedpulls from the floor and "**** the bar" (hipdrive) so to speak is good for getting an explosive lockout, atleast it helped me some. What really made my deadlift fly was when i started to do cleans, and alot of em.

On a side note - heavy rackpulls build great trapzorz, which attract girls, which is win =)

Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
CLEEPER
CLEEPER
Max Brawn

I am interested in doing them, just not sure how to add them into my routine. Reeves classic has me dead lifting on fridays in place of Barbell rows. I may run this routine for a while and the next routine add these in maybe as a finisher to dead lifts? Or should it be different days spread apart?

Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #9
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 34,166, Level: 100 Points: 34,166, Level: 100 Points: 34,166, Level: 100
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

When I started, I cleaned at the beginning of every session as a general warmup, that was when weights were still pretty light and form was under developement.

Now once form is nailed and weigt is up i do them after deadlifts or other heavy pulls.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #10
CLEEPER
CLEEPER
Max Brawn

I just watched the video
clean and jerk technique - Bing Videos

seems this one move could replace squat , dead lift and military press. But doing the squat or dead or military press solo instead of a clean and jerk you could maybe do more weight?

Share with Facebook