Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Default A Review of ISSN's position paper on meal frequency

Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

Quote:
Originally Posted by issn paper
Increasing meal frequency does not appear to favorably change body composition in sedentary populations.
If protein levels are adequate, increasing meal frequency during periods of hypoenergetic dieting may preserve lean body mass in athletic populations.
Increased meal frequency appears to have a positive effect on various blood markers of health, particularly LDL cholesterol, total cholesterol, and insulin.
Increased meal frequency does not appear to significantly enhance diet induced thermogenesis, total energy expenditure or resting metabolic rate.
Increasing meal frequency appears to help decrease hunger and improve appetite control.
Alan Aragon reviews the ISSN postion paper on leangains.com. It is a worthy read.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Last edited by bamazav; 04-05-2011 at 07:05 PM.
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,537,705, Level: 100 Points: 1,537,705, Level: 100 Points: 1,537,705, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I didn't have time to read the entire article, so forgive me if I missed anything.

My only opinion on this issue is that frequent feeding works, and works well for all successful natural bodybuilders, figure competitors and physique models. It has for decades, and has a long and successful track record. The best bodies in the world use it. I have used it successfully for 20+ years.

On issues like this, if I am being completely honest, science does little for me. I see what works, talk each day to those that use it, and have the complete confidence that using frequent feeding never causes anyone to lose muscle. On the other hand, straight "IF" was a complete flop for me. I rapidly lost muscle. I also know several other major authors in the muscle building realm that have experienced muscle loss on some (not all) clients that use straight IF or Warrior diet.

I mean no disrespect by sharing my opinion. I believe "IF" to be risky if maximum muscle retention is a primary goal. Frequent feeding has a track record and works. I have no reservations about advocating frequent feeding. On the other hand, I personally would never advocate any non-frequent approach to anyone who is less than an experienced intermediate lifter. The risks are too great for me.

This does not mean I do not advocate trying other methods. Nothing beats firsthand experience. I simply do not care for the risk factors of non-frequent feeding approaches.

In addition, very few people that say they eat only 2-3 times per day actually do. This is a bit of a rabbit trail, but I had to mention it. I have seen it said on forums previously where someone would claim they ate only 2-3 times per day, but were in actuality excluding the "small" grazings and in between meal shakes, etc. Very few people I know eat only 2-3 times per day. Most use a form of frequent feeding, whether they realize it or not.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-05-2011 at 08:01 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

No disrespect taken.

One thing Aragon states in his review, is that his positions are based upon science and his own experience in the trenches.

What I took from the article was this. It was kind of bold to write a position paper based upon mediocre research. Read his closing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Aragon
I’d advise everyone with enough motivation to dig into the references and question the conclusions of all parties involved. It’s clear that position stands of authoritative organizations are far from being completely accurate, complete, and bias-free. With that said, the ISSN provides plenty of food for thought. Again, read the full text of their paper in order to get the most out of my critique of it [2]. Meal frequency research is becoming increasingly more active, so it’s safe to predict that in the coming years, more relevant designs will narrow the gap between the questions and answers. Something I can wholeheartedly agree with is the paper’s closing quote: “Nonetheless, more well-designed research studies involving various meal frequencies, particularly in physically active/athletic populations are warranted.”

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #4
Chillen
Chillen
Current Pic/Nov 30th, 2012: Rocken Lean
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
My Mood: Inspired
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

My personal opinion: It's a personal matter with meal frequency.

*If eating more frequently makes it easier to control/reduce calories, and assists in controlling insulin spikes, and losing weight/fat is the goal, then this is the way to go.

*If eating more frequently makes it harder to control/reduce calories, or makes you eat more, and you can not control your eating habits, it may not be for you.

*If eating less frequently makes it harder for you to control/reduce calories (because you get hungry and binge), and it hurts your efforts to lose weight/fat, then its not for you.

*If eating less frequently makes it easier for you to control/reduce calories (for any number of reasons), and it helps your efforts to lose weight/fat, then its for you.

The above excludes the manipulation of macro nutrients.

Which also can play a role in (insulin spikes/hunger cravings, despite frequency of meals).

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 04-05-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Chillen is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #5
ForwardMotionStruggle
ForwardMotionStruggle
has no status.
Strugglin'
Brawn
Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: Not enough.
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
My Mood: Bored
ForwardMotionStruggle is off to a bad start

Too many big words...

I agree with Vitality however. Just like routines, each human body reacts differently with such things. Generalizations are just such, general.

I believe diets can be analyzed down to the key for each specific person and it will always be different for everyone. Everyone should find a basic form and make it their own from there.

But these are my thoughts.
ForwardMotionStruggle is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook