Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
thumpinos
thumpinos
is flogging his Molly.
Uber Brawn
Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: Flirty
thumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good posts
Default Ultimate supplements thread.

I thought I would start a thread on what supplements are worthy of your time and why. I'm not talking specific brands. I just want to know what supplements you feel are decent and worth spending money on.

Feel free to debate and comment.

I will start with creatine and multivitamins.

I don't care about the pumps with creatine. Creatine does give a slight performance edge, and I can notice strength gains on it.

Multivitamins are multiviatmins. What more can I say?

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
RickB
RickB
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32 Points: 2,802, Level: 32
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

My Mood: Yeehaw
RickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good startRickB is off to a good start

Protein. Getting it through real food is better, but Protein supplements are great for those on the go and just to get a little more in your system.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,553, Level: 78 Points: 14,553, Level: 78 Points: 14,553, Level: 78
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

I don't take much, but I like what I do use.

Body fortress whey, with creatine
multi-vitamin
fish oil
dessicated liver

Food
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Protein. Getting it through real food is better, but Protein supplements are great for those on the go and just to get a little more in your system.
Protein.

Score one for Rick. The older I get, the more life is "on the go."

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
I don't take much, but I like what I do use.

Body fortress whey, with creatine
multi-vitamin
fish oil
dessicated liver

Food
Fish Oil.

Very good addition. Many of us to not get enough quality healthy fats.

Could you enlighten us to the use and benefits of dessicated liver? I'm a little under-schooled on this subject...

Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,553, Level: 78 Points: 14,553, Level: 78 Points: 14,553, Level: 78
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
Fish Oil.

Very good addition. Many of us to not get enough quality healthy fats.

Could you enlighten us to the use and benefits of dessicated liver? I'm a little under-schooled on this subject...
Of course,

Review: Desiccated Liver Tablets - IronOnline Weight Training Forum

What I have found since I began taking it is that my energy is better. I don't feel like the walking zombie that I used to feel like with my current work schedule. I'm on my first tub of tablets, and generally take 3 at each meal. That is a total of about 15 tablets a day.

Besides being rich in iron, they are loaded with amino acids. I plan to keep taking it for the forseeable future.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
Grim83
Grim83
has no status.
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53

My Mood: Crappy
Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

The good- protein powder, creatine, glutamine, bcaa/eaa, fish oil, multivitamins, arginine....

the bad- almost every thing not listed in the first and last sections

the ugly- go look at biotest/muscle tech's line of supps, you'll find plenty
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Thanks Bubba.

Quote:
What's In It?
=========

Well, umm liver.

Protein: 60-80%.

Vitamins: A, B-complex (B-1, B-2, B-6, B-12, choline, inositol, biotine, niacin, pantothenic acid, folic acid, PABA), C, D, E, K, lipotropics choline & inositol.

Minerals: calcium, chromium, copper, heme iron, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, sodium, & zinc.

Amino acids: alanine, arginine, aspartic acid, cysteine, cystine, glutamic acid, glycine, histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, proline, serine, threonine, tyrosine, tryptophan, valine

According to Vince Gironda, the "Iron Guru", in addition to these known nutrients, there are substances present in liver that have a beneficial effect on health, fitness, and endurance -- such as cytochrome P-450 (more about this later) and others yet to be identified. He said that desiccated liver contains nucleic acids for proper amino acid utilization, a growth factor, and an anti-estrogen factor, which keeps testosterone levels high, and it is also a great anti-toxin.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
JesseA
JesseA
has no status.
Über Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36

JesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributor

I stopped taking creatine for the last few weeks. I have not really noticed any difference. I will probably wait a few more weeks and add it back in to see if there is any worthiness to it. I know it's one of those 'proven' supplements, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what it's proven for. a big pump? muscle building? recovery? The more I learn about it the less I see it as a required supplement.

disclaimer: I am only looking to add muscle and strength. I don't care about vascularity or a pump while lifting. (unless of course those make you stronger?).
JesseA is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #10
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
The good- protein powder, creatine, glutamine, bcaa/eaa, fish oil, multivitamins, arginine....

the bad- almost every thing not listed in the first and last sections

the ugly- go look at biotest/muscle tech's line of supps, you'll find plenty
Good suggestions. We haven't even touched the PCT supps yet.

Share with Facebook