Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
ForwardMotionStruggle
ForwardMotionStruggle
has no status.
Strugglin'
Brawn
Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: Not enough.
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
My Mood: Bored
ForwardMotionStruggle is off to a bad start
Default What/How/Why BCAA?

So all I know about BCAA is that it stands for Branched Chain Amino Acids.

Why don't I just Google it? I'd rather have a person I'm more familiar with give me the rundown. Also, I think in the future it'll be beneficial for the ignorant like me.
Ignorant used in the sense of "lacking of knowledge."

If anyone else has questions on it feel free to post up as well.
Thanks in advance for the help MAB'ers,
FMS
ForwardMotionStruggle is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
rippednmichigan
rippednmichigan
robert@flexfitnessandnutrition.com
Social Media Manager/REP
Max Brawn
Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93 Points: 22,927, Level: 93
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: EFX K-Otic Orange Ambush
My Mood: Daring
rippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beastrippednmichigan is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardMotionStruggle View Post

Why don't I just Google it? I'd rather have a person I'm more familiar with give me the rundown. Also, I think in the future it'll be beneficial for the ignorant like me.

FMS
Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. When you eat a protein food, it gets digested in the stomach and intestine into individual amino acids and short chains of amino acids that are small enough to be absorbed into the bloodstream. These amino acids have far reaching effects in the body from building tissues, to producing chemicals that enable our brains to function optimally.

Although it hasn't been documented that I know of BCAA's in higher amounts on the right diet are very beneficial in weight loss. This is just my 2cents.
User owns 3x $30 I\'ll Pump You Up cash User owns 1x $20 I\'ll Pump You Up cash

Pure-Potent-Drug Free

http://allamericanefx.com/

Certified Personal Trainer
Training and Nutrition at
www.flexfitnessandnutrition.com

"Take control and push your limits!"
rippednmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
bigtim27
bigtim27
You are pissing excellence, and crapping a bad ass! And, you wipe it with pure attitude!
the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn
Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Exercise: Military Press
Fav Supp: xtend
My Mood: Devilish
bigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributor

Amino Acids are the building blocks of muscle protein. Getting adequate amounts of Amino Acids is difficult for those who exercise. Exercise burns Amino Acids rapidly. Failure to replenish the body with proper Amino Acids can cause people who work out vigorously to make little or no progress.

Amino Acids are best used as Free Form and Branched Chain. These Amino Acids do not require digestion and go straight into the blood stream for immediate use by muscle cells. BCAA also provides 70% of the body's Nitrogen requirement.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
bigtim27
bigtim27
You are pissing excellence, and crapping a bad ass! And, you wipe it with pure attitude!
the thrilla from phila
Max Brawn
Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56 Points: 7,178, Level: 56
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Exercise: Military Press
Fav Supp: xtend
My Mood: Devilish
bigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributorbigtim27 is a dedicated contributor

The Difference Between Essential and Non-Essential Amino Acids?

Essential amino acids cannot be made by the body. You must get them from complete protein foods or combinations of incomplete vegetable foods. There are 9 essential amino acids: histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, tryptophan, and valine. Your body can make non-essential amino acids by itself from vitamins and other amino acids.

The term "non-essential" can be misleading since all amino acids are essential for proper metabolism and certain non-essential amino acids, such as glutamine, become very essential during illness or trauma. The 13 non-essential amino acids are alanine, arginine, aspartic acid, cysteine, cystine, glutamic acid, glutamine, glycine, hydroxyproline, proline, serine, & tyrosine.

The essential branched chain amino acids (BCAA's) are of special importance for athletes because they are metabolized in the muscle, rather than in the liver. Here's how this works: After digestion once protein is broken down into individual amino acids these aminos can either be used to build new proteins or be burned as fuel to produce energy.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
ForwardMotionStruggle
ForwardMotionStruggle
has no status.
Strugglin'
Brawn
Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10 Points: 518, Level: 10
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: Not enough.
My Mood: Bored
ForwardMotionStruggle is off to a bad start

Thanks a bunch guys. Rep'd.

That sheds a lot of light. Reminds me of my BIOL days.
ForwardMotionStruggle is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
bb12
bb12
Sexy Beast!
Hulk!
Max Brawn
Points: 6,979, Level: 55 Points: 6,979, Level: 55 Points: 6,979, Level: 55
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My Mood: Inspired
bb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributorbb12 is a dedicated contributor

Great support system over here
bb12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2011, 07:16 AM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,472,245, Level: 100 Points: 1,472,245, Level: 100 Points: 1,472,245, Level: 100
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

If you don't or can't eat much of a variety of protein sources, BCAA supplementation can help fill in the cracks and flesh out your amino acid profile.

I tend to take BCAAs with protein shakes, and when I am cutting.

An amino acid profile is like a fingerprint. Each protein food is different in what they offer as far as aminos/BCAAs. A bodybuilder who is forced to live on a strict diet will not have a very beefy and broad spanning amino profile, and may benefit from supplementation.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2011, 07:20 AM   #8
Carl1174
Carl1174
is trying to take the first step in a long road back...
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardMotionStruggle View Post

FMS
You cant be ignorant with a lack of knowledge. You can only be ingnorant if you know of the knowledge and ignore its implications.

Asking questions is how we learn

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2011, 04:58 AM   #9
Kevsworld
Kevsworld
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 2,611, Level: 31 Points: 2,611, Level: 31 Points: 2,611, Level: 31
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 20+
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Creatine Mono, Protein
Kevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality postsKevsworld has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
If you don't or can't eat much of a variety of protein sources, BCAA supplementation can help fill in the cracks and flesh out your amino acid profile.

I tend to take BCAAs with protein shakes, and when I am cutting.

An amino acid profile is like a fingerprint. Each protein food is different in what they offer as far as aminos/BCAAs. A bodybuilder who is forced to live on a strict diet will not have a very beefy and broad spanning amino profile, and may benefit from supplementation.
I agree with this--I really don't see the need for BCAA supplementation as long as you are getting adequate protein.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2011, 07:01 AM   #10
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,472,245, Level: 100 Points: 1,472,245, Level: 100 Points: 1,472,245, Level: 100
Activity: 38% Activity: 38% Activity: 38%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I believe BCAA supplementation essential for non-conventional dieting approaches, even when not a cutting diet. For example, intermittent fast/Warrior diet... without some form of BCAA supplementation some lose muscle. Not all, some.

I also think women have a harder time eating enough protein, and might benefit from BCAAs when trying to gain muscle. At least until they find their groove.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook