Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources

Notices

Training Resources Workouts, Form Videos, Muscle and Strength Training Articles...everything you need. Forum includes the best posts from the forum.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
recarp82
recarp82
go big or go home
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,307, Level: 20 Points: 1,307, Level: 20 Points: 1,307, Level: 20
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

recarp82 is new to the forumrecarp82 is new to the forum

i just recently bought and wearing regularly on back and leg day a scheik 6-inch (medium size) lifting belt.it fits great and as far as im concerned the best belt ive bought to date.it has a slip fitting ring/velcro tightening strip which work great together.oh yeah and its made in the usa

Last edited by recarp82; 02-22-2011 at 04:50 PM.
recarp82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #12
MikeM
MikeM
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

I've never used a belt either, and never thought I would use one.

What's is the point when you should use one for safety? When you get up around 1.5 body weight? Less? More? All the time, regardless of weight?

And for what execises? I can't imagine now using one for Squats or Deadlifts, but Push Presses can sometimes be a little dicey if I don't concentrate. Then again, in the future when I put up bigger weights hopefully, I should expect to use them for Squats, etc.?

Bottom line, when should you even use them?
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #13
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the Walker Dips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,141, Level: 96 Points: 26,141, Level: 96 Points: 26,141, Level: 96
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recarp82 View Post
i just recently bought and wearing regularly on back and leg day a scheik 6-inch (medium size) lifting belt.it fits great and as far as im concerned the best belt ive bought to date.it has a slip fitting ring/velcro tightening strip which work great together.oh yeah and its made in the usa
This is what I have, I love it. I use it on any heavy lift that involves my lower back, when I remember to put it on.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Last edited by bamazav; 03-08-2011 at 07:32 PM.
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #14
recarp82
recarp82
go big or go home
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,307, Level: 20 Points: 1,307, Level: 20 Points: 1,307, Level: 20
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

recarp82 is new to the forumrecarp82 is new to the forum

yeah rowing,rack lifts,leg press it works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
This is what I have, I love it. I use it on any heavy lift that involves my lower back, when I remember to put it on.
recarp82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #15
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,335, Level: 100 Points: 33,335, Level: 100 Points: 33,335, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I use it when deadlifting in the near 1rm zone, for rack pulls, box squats (when going heavy) and when shruging.

The fact that a belt supports the lower ab is imo mostly from the ab's squeesing against the belt and creating a pressure which stabilizes the lower back and core.

For this reason i also use it on occasion when pushing heavy, seated or standing.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #16
IronManlet
IronManlet
is insane.
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Daring
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I've never used a belt either, and never thought I would use one.

What's is the point when you should use one for safety? When you get up around 1.5 body weight? Less? More? All the time, regardless of weight?

And for what execises? I can't imagine now using one for Squats or Deadlifts, but Push Presses can sometimes be a little dicey if I don't concentrate. Then again, in the future when I put up bigger weights hopefully, I should expect to use them for Squats, etc.?

Bottom line, when should you even use them?
Whenever you feel like it, I suppose. I personally didn't start using one till I hit a 300lb squat and 385lb deadlift.

The thing is, you shouldn't use it as a crutch. It's a useful tool for safety with heavier weights, but until you're nearing 90% of your max, you should really be doing it without a belt to get your body used to the weights. Using a belt doesn't mean that you weaken your midsection at all either. My beltless max goes up along with my belted max all the time. I'll usually start using a belt when I get over 315 on squats and 405 on deadlifts, and any sets after that.

I don't use belts at all for any other exercises.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #17
dmaipa
dmaipa
focused and ready
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
My Mood: Inspired
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

I agree. My belt is fom elitefts and I try not to wear it until I feel I need to. But I do wea it for pressing, squats, and deadlifts.
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #18
Isaku900
Isaku900
has no status.
Wild Iron Gym
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19 Points: 1,239, Level: 19
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 10+
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: Big 3
Isaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good postsIsaku900 has made some very good posts

I'll wear a belt whenever I feel like putting it on, there's no set percentage or weight or exercise.

Become a fan of Wild Iron Gym on Facebook:
Isaku900 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #19
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 10,944, Level: 69 Points: 10,944, Level: 69 Points: 10,944, Level: 69
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

I don't think there is a set rule on when or when not to use a belt. Everyone is different. And like has been pointed out by other posters, you probably shouldn't over use it.
But on the flip side of the coin, if you aren't sure, don't not use it and risk hurting yourself.
Another consideration is if you have any previous back injuries. Someone with a previous injury my be prudent to use a belt on lifts like BOBR or even "heavy" curls, where someone without a previous injury probably wouldn't need to.
Just my 2 cents.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #20
gaspers04
gaspers04
is "Thickneck McBenchpress"
Max Brawn
Points: 16,960, Level: 83 Points: 16,960, Level: 83 Points: 16,960, Level: 83
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
My Mood: Brooding
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

When going heavy on the big three.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook