Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:55 PM   #21
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
I've spend spending at least 30 minutes each night trying to piece together a new approach to training. The biggest thing I'm realizing is that I may have to put aside some of my stubborn tendencies.

I want to build to much into a fullbody approach, instead of starting with a frame and adding on.

I know I want to continue to incorporate monitored rest between sets. But one of the sticking points for me is exercise selection. When I look at an HLM approach, I really don't like the idea or working in any isolations, and the thought of higher rep sets...well...isn't a joy. I don't really care for higher rep sets.

I'm thinking that HLM could also be modified by rest between sets. On heavy days, use heavy weights and longer rest periods. On light days, use lighter weights, and brief 15 to 30 second rest periods between sets. This mimics the high rep format, while still keeping my infatuation with rest-pause training.

And thoughts?

Maybe I should start a thread for this issue..."From Splits to Fullbody"
We'll have to tackle this one issue at a time. I agree that maybe you need to go back to basics, at least for a time, and condition for this approach.

Something that struck me when I was looking at early beginner routines was the notion that they only would complete one set. They would train on one set of a movement for at least two months, before adding a second set. This seemed a little conservative to me.

When I started to really think about it, I had basically done just that over the last 10 months. The gymnastic training I had been doing was a perfect wholebody conditioning primer. I was working out 5-6 days a week, but being careful to never approach failure on any movement. I made great strength gains doing this. I benched 240lbs, without ever doing benches.

Then I went on a 5 day a week, basic Olympic workout. This utilized weights which I had not touched in nearly a year, only bodyweight moves over the last 8 months approx. The oly work got me back, to an actual wholebody weight workout, minus benching. It was also fairly conservative. By the end of the week the cumulative effect was great. I needed the weekend off to rest.

It was right about this point that I found my way here, and got on my current program. Even at that point I did not bench for a few weeks.

All that time was conditioning me to take on the heavier workload that I'm now doing. The last few weeks have seen a large jump as I've been pushing harder again, to progress.

In the past I had never stayed on a wholebody program as long as I have until now. It has taken a while, but I really feel my conditioning is getting better, and I can start to push through the wall. Much like a runner can when they feel that body shift kick in, and then they are cruising for the long distance.

Does that make sense?

Your program has always been closer to a sprinter type of workout. Wholebody is more like a miler, or cross country. You need to be retrained.

So we go back to basics, and build up. Just like if you were new. Obviously you can lift more than a true neophyte, but you still need to retrain for the new event.

So you stick with the A/B program, but lets make some changes.

Cont.

Last edited by glwanabe; 11-24-2009 at 04:57 PM.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #22
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

There's a couple of ways to go. A straight wholebody or the A/B program.

The A/B makes more sense for you, because your not actually new.

It's just my preference, but I would start with squats and work up. I feel a better overall bodywarmup moving from the bottom up.

M-W-F Try it this way for a month, and feel it out.

A

Squats/superset pullover,
Warms up shoulders, and chest, helps breathing.
2x5 5x3-6 / or 20 rep set

Rows
2x5 5x3-6

Bench

2x5 5x3-6

SLDL/RDL

3x6-8

BB curl/ or upright rows

2x8

B

Deads

2x5 5x3 /or Rest pause set

Presses

2x5 5x3-6

Close grip bench

3x5-8

squat
2x5

Last edited by glwanabe; 11-24-2009 at 05:31 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #23
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Hey GL. Thanks for the good feedback. I will take some time tonight and give it a good once through...and take some time to think about what you said.

I pieced together an HLM workout last night, doing some H, some L and some M on each day. I tried the first workout today and nearly vomited...literally. I think the 3-way split is just a bit too much. I need to do an AB.

I'm going to post my workout from today, go eat a pizza and a bag of veggies, and come back and read your post again.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #24
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
Hey GL. Thanks for the good feedback. I will take some time tonight and give it a good once through...and take some time to think about what you said.

I pieced together an HLM workout last night, doing some H, some L and some M on each day. I tried the first workout today and nearly vomited...literally. I think the 3-way split is just a bit too much. I need to do an AB.

I'm going to post my workout from today, go eat a pizza and a bag of veggies, and come back and read your post again.

Thanks again for the feedback.

I'm sure you can put together a hell of a good program. Like you said in the other thread. You just gotta get the stuff outta your head and on the paper, then you can begin the edit process. I know I went back, and edited my post three times after I posted it.

Heading over to read your workout post.

MMM Pizza.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #25
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100 Points: 1,522,296, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
I'm sure you can put together a hell of a good program. Like you said in the other thread. You just gotta get the stuff outta your head and on the paper, then you can begin the edit process. I know I went back, and edited my post three times after I posted it.

Heading over to read your workout post.

MMM Pizza.
I did like today's workout. But it might need some tweaking. Here is what I drew up last night./ The order is NOT the order I would perform the exercises.

TUESDAY
Front Squats (M) 3x8
T-Bar Rows (L) 2x12
RDLs (H) 5x4
DB Bench (L) 2x12
Overhead Press (H) 5x4
Closegrip Bench 3x8

THURSDAY

Squats (H) 5x4
Yates Rows (M) 3x8
Leg Curls (L) 2x12
Incline Bench (M) 3x8
Arnold Press (L) 2x12
Curl 3x8

SATURDAY
Squats (L) 1x20
Deadlift (H) 5-8
Sumo SLs (M) 3x8
Bench Press (H) 5x4
Military Press (M) 3x8

Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #26
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn

Quote:
I did like today's workout. But it might need some tweaking. Here is what I drew up last night./ The order is NOT the order I would perform the exercises.

TUESDAY
Front Squats (M) 3x8
T-Bar Rows (L) 2x12
RDLs (H) 5x4
DB Bench (L) 2x12
Overhead Press (H) 5x4
Closegrip Bench 3x8

THURSDAY

Squats (H) 5x4
Yates Rows (M) 3x8
Leg Curls (L) 2x12
Incline Bench (M) 3x8
Arnold Press (L) 2x12
Curl 3x8

SATURDAY
Squats (L) 1x20
Deadlift (H) 5-8
Sumo SLs (M) 3x8
Bench Press (H) 5x4
Military Press (M) 3x8

That looks good! It incorporates that concept you talked about a few weeks back. Some heavy, medium, and light each session. The heavy moves being diverse enough from each other, they should not impact muscles from the previous session. The number of moves looks good, and through the week you hit all the big stuff, and hit the assistance stuff as well.

I know how you hate curls, but I think doing them will help with the row strength, and other moves. As far as isolation moves go, I think hitting the bi's, and tri's makes sense with basic iso moves. laterals for rear delts, but pressing will cover the rest.

All in all it looks solid. Lets hope it will be enough frequency to keep you satisfied. I know that the weekend break for me gets to be long, but I need the rest to hit it hard on Monday.

After reading your log for todays workout about your backpump, I was wondering if you were going to play with the order of the moves?

Last edited by glwanabe; 11-24-2009 at 07:14 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2009, 07:47 PM   #27
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
That looks good! It incorporates that concept you talked about a few weeks back. Some heavy, medium, and light each session. The heavy moves being diverse enough from each other, they should not impact muscles from the previous session. The number of moves looks good, and through the week you hit all the big stuff, and hit the assistance stuff as well.

I know how you hate curls, but I think doing them will help with the row strength, and other moves. As far as isolation moves go, I think hitting the bi's, and tri's makes sense with basic iso moves. laterals for rear delts, but pressing will cover the rest.

All in all it looks solid. Lets hope it will be enough frequency to keep you satisfied. I know that the weekend break for me gets to be long, but I need the rest to hit it hard on Monday.

After reading your log for todays workout about your backpump, I was wondering if you were going to play with the order of the moves?
With my back pumps, it makes more sense for me to do back intense lifts last. My the time I hit a 315 deadlift warmup, I want to rip my face off. That's pretty much how I feel. I know some old school lifters did deadlifts last. I might have to resort to that.

I do like your AB approach a little better though. My main structural issues have to do with working in the posterior chain moves...deadlifts, squats and RDLs.

I have been doing curls this year, and am actually liking them.

One of my concerns with an AB split is either:

A) Only working out 2 times per week and getting restless.

B) Working out three times per week and hitting each move more presently, not knowing how my body will handle it.

I'll probably put together an AB that I can do 3 times per week and bounce it off you. I've never tried DB pullovers. Any advice?

Share with Facebook