Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
wimpy
wimpy
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 443, Level: 8 Points: 443, Level: 8 Points: 443, Level: 8
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

wimpy is off to a bad start
Default Do weight gainers work?

I am pretty small and want to gain some weight so I can bulk up. Do the weight gainers that I see advertised really work? If so which ones work the best?
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

If you can't gain weight they will help. I would make every attempt to add calories without one though.

Whole milk, butter, cheese, sour cream, almonds and nuts, peanut butter, cheese cake, Doritos

There are plenty of reviews of weight gainers on M&S. You can sort by popularity and read ratings to find the best for you.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Disciple X
Disciple X
SMASH WEIGHT!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Beach Sudoku Champion!
Training Type: Powerlifting
My Mood: Inspired
Disciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machine

Thats the best advise above. Eat more whole foods! But if you must, serious mass is the best i've used. That and universal real gains. I actually liked real gains better but it doesnt have as many callories...
Disciple X is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,116, Level: 79 Points: 15,116, Level: 79 Points: 15,116, Level: 79
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Mt advice on weight gainers is: Try a highly rated one and see how you like it. There's nothing wrong with using a weight gainer to reach your goals, but I wouldn't suggest more than one shake worth a day. If you need more than that, re-evaluate your overall diet.

Now for my spiel on common excuses for not cooking nutritious, calorie dense, great tasting meals. You might not make any of them, but for posterity's sake, here they go.

1. "I don't have enough time" Yes you do. Next.

2. " No really, I don't have enough time." Refer to number 1. If time really is an issue, if you're working 80 hours a week, have a family, children, and run a charity on the side, ok, I get it. You're as busy as the rest of us. Make big batches of awesome food and freeze it. Get a crock pot and make loads of stews and chili and add cheese and sour cream.

3. " I can't cook" Ok. I was a terrible cook at first, but after a couple weeks, I got a lot better. Practice a little, start with easy recipes, follow the book, and it will work out. Plus, its WAY cheaper to eat at home than to hit restaurants all the time.

4. "I'm in college and have no where to cook" Buy a microwave and a 2 burner electric hotplate. This is all you need for some really great meals.

5. " I live at home and my parent's don't support this type of thing" Get a job, buy some food, cook it, and eat it. If they forbid you to do it, either respect them, or get your own place.

6. "Its too expensive" It really isn't. Peanut butter, whole chickens, rice, beans, pork. Look for sales and you can eat like a prince for a price that will fit any budget.

7. " I can't eat that much food" This I have a little sympathy for, but not much. Work at it, and this is finally where the weight gainer comes in. A shake is easier to keep down than 3 pounds of ground beef, a pound of pasta, and a loaf of bread (which incidentally sounds like a nice light snack before supper to me).

Buy wisely, eat to failure, and use supplements strategically and you'll be set to grow.
bruteforce is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
Trevor Lane
Trevor Lane
wants to be like Kaz
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn
Points: 10,271, Level: 67 Points: 10,271, Level: 67 Points: 10,271, Level: 67
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Urban Sniper Champion!
Training Exp: A few
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
My Mood: Aggressive
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Use chocolate milk in a protein shake instead of regular milk.... bam! Got yourself a gainer! In addition, eat 6 times a day till you feel sick then eat a little more. You'll gain.
Trevor Lane is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
I am pretty small and want to gain some weight so I can bulk up. Do the weight gainers that I see advertised really work? If so which ones work the best?
Take a leaf out of any overweight person's book; they never used a weightgainer in their life.

Share with Facebook