Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,551,031, Level: 100 Points: 1,551,031, Level: 100 Points: 1,551,031, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default How to Build a Dragging Sled

This article was created by LTL from the MAB forum. It also appears here:

How To Build A Dragging Sled - Muscle and Brawn Bodybuilding, Powerlifting and Muscle Building.

How to Build a Dragging Sled

Sled dragging is great GPP/Cardio. Given the choice between running for hours on end or running in short bursts dragging a weight, I know which Iíd rather do. Problem is that sleds are expensive and in short supply in the UK so I thought Iíd make my own. Hereís what you need:

An old car tire. I asked around at work and managed to get this for free from a colleague who had it lying around in his garden.

Sheet of plywood or similar. I got this at the local hardware store from the off cuts bin. Go to a store where they cut the wood for you and they will often have a discount section where they sell all of the leftover pieces. This large sheet (enough for 2 or 3 sleds) cost me around £1.

Eyebolts. You only need one.]

Regular hex bolts. You only need four. Make sure theyíre long enough to go through the tire AND the wood.

Some sort of rope. I used webbing as it was cheap and looked easy on the hands.

Bungee cords. These are to hold the plates onto the finished sled.

Mars bar. This was used to stop me going catabolic during the building process.

Tools you need:

Drill, tape measure, straight edge, pencil, saw, spanner.

Stage one: Drill a hole in the side of your tire about halfway up and screw the eyebolt in. Tires are beaded so this will take a while.

Stage two: Loop your rope through the eyebolt and secure if necessary.

Stage three: Create the hand loops. I tried to use duct tape to secure these but it slipped too much when I tried to pull the loaded sled. A simple knot will do better. Be sure to make nice BIG loops though as you donít want to slice your hands off with the handles when pulling.

Stage four: Cut the wood to the size of the tire. It will overlap slightly unless you want to use a jigsaw and curve the edges. I did not. Fasten the wooden platform to the tire using the hex bolts. You will need to make a big enough gap to fit a plate in (all olympic plates are 450mm in diametre) but other than that just make sure you are drilling through wood AND tire and not just wood.

Stage 5: Bungee cords on and youíre finished and ready to pull.

I am still working on modifying this design slightly. Trying to work on securing the bungee cords a little better but other than that, itís working just fine. I take no responsibility for it leaving you looking like this though:

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,551,031, Level: 100 Points: 1,551,031, Level: 100 Points: 1,551,031, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Thanks again LTL. Sorry it took so long to get this up.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 34,180, Level: 100 Points: 34,180, Level: 100 Points: 34,180, Level: 100
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Good writeup Al!

Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,858, Level: 100 Points: 36,858, Level: 100 Points: 36,858, Level: 100
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Now worries. Thanks Steve.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Great aticle and useful information. Thanks for taking the time to do that for everybody. I especially like the Mars bar (chuckle factor).
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 11,312, Level: 70 Points: 11,312, Level: 70 Points: 11,312, Level: 70
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
My Mood: Cool
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

This is win.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
Hazzard
Hazzard
is proud to represent Muscle and Brawn. And Pop Tarts.
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
My Mood: Sleepy
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

Awesome, I especially like the picture of you at the end! Sled pulling is damn brutal.

Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
_J_
_J_
is looking for the devine
Chalk Rebel
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,253, Level: 35 Points: 3,253, Level: 35 Points: 3,253, Level: 35

I hate running for cardio. Surely, there must be a better way. Enter Dragging Sled. Using the instructions in this thread, I built my own sled. What do you think?

Tire from my wife's old car. A piece of an old desk that fell apart years ago (particle board). A few bolts, nuts, and washers from the local hardware store. Add in a pulling strap and I'm ready to go. Cost me less than 5 bucks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sled 1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	4724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sled 2.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	4725  
_J_ is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,858, Level: 100 Points: 36,858, Level: 100 Points: 36,858, Level: 100
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
My Mood: Cheerful
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Looks good. How do you keep the plates on there?

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

That is sweet! I'd add a pipe to slide the weights on to keep them from falling off.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook