Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Default Lean Powerlifters!

This is an awesome thread: http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow...-rulebook.html

I figured I'd run another one alongside that looking at weight categories. There's going to come a time when you're strong enough, big enough but just slightly too fat to be competitive. It's only around 7.5kg-10kg between weight categories and if you're carrying that amount and more in excess fat surely it makes sense to take it off at some point right?

So at what point does that happen?
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
PrimalBeard
PrimalBeard
Growl
Brawn
Points: 1,185, Level: 18 Points: 1,185, Level: 18 Points: 1,185, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Capsaicin
My Mood: Lurking
PrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributor

I've found that cooking everything in butter or bacon grease does the trick, honestly. Paleo/Primal has let me lose body weight but gain weight on the bar, and I've seen it long term do the same (bruteforce is a great example).

Maybe not the answer you were looking for, though!
PrimalBeard is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
big valsalva
big valsalva
going to deadlift the world
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Supp: Meat
My Mood: Cheerful
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

How about this rule I picked up from Dante? It might apply. It might not.

Eat like you weigh 300 pounds. Do cardio like you're at 8% bodyfat.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
kitarpyar
kitarpyar
is a rank novice now
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
My Mood: Aggressive
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Very strongly worded, but entertaining blogs on this from Jamie Lewis (at chaos and pain). Not safe for viewing while at work

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Last edited by kitarpyar; 09-27-2011 at 01:13 AM.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2011, 05:44 AM   #5
Fazc
Fazc
is feeling squirrely!
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
Very strongly worded, but entertaining blogs on this from Jamie Lewis (at chaos and pain). Not safe for viewing while at work

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3
This is the sort of thing I was getting at. Thanks for the links Kit, especially Part 1. Also what Ltl said about Tate's advice.

When I first started all I wanted to do was win. I was naturally fat so I was very aware of weight categories, I actually competed in the 110kg category once after only a couple years of training and I was shit there. I dropped past the 100's, past 90 and into the 82.5kg where I was lean and muscular and did most of my lifting. Nowadays I weigh in at a relatively smooth 95kg, 90kg is definitely much more like it. If however I was to push it and diet down really slowly then 85kg (cutting water to 82.5) would be a possibility if I were ripped. If I could hold onto my strength at that bodyweight and bodyfat level, I'd be very competitive.

That's the sort of thing I was wondering about, considering I've been training for well over a decade now and have a relatively light bone structure I don't envision much going much higher than the 82kg class while i'm in shape. According to the Casey Butt potential calculator that is pretty much spot on too.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2011, 02:04 AM   #6
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,882, Level: 100 Points: 36,882, Level: 100 Points: 36,882, Level: 100
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I like Dave Tate's advice on this topic (shocker I know):

Quote:
Keep eating until you stop getting stronger and then drop a weightclass.
LtL
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2011, 03:44 AM   #7
Carl1174
Carl1174
is trying to take the first step in a long road back...
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Well Im no where near a powerlifter, but I am trying to bodybuild by powerlifting if that makes sense. I intend on eating untill a particular move gets to where i want it to be (in my first case bench 3pps) then I will strip down, have a look how I look then do the same again with deadlift, then the same protocal with squats. Then possibly OHP (I know not technically a powerlift)

I figure concentrating on getting the big 3 (4) up to reasonable levels is a sure fire way of getting a strong looking physique, without having to worry too much about isolations

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2011, 06:08 AM   #8
LtL
LtL
is loving life.
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,882, Level: 100 Points: 36,882, Level: 100 Points: 36,882, Level: 100
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

For me I am mostly competing against myself. I want to lift more each time I step on the platform and set PB's. I have my eyes on a 675kg's total in 18months time which, if done at 100kg's RAW, would put me in with a shout of winning Nationals.

As my gains slow down I would imagine I will become more motivated by winning competitions (which I should have more chance of doing by then) and would consider dropping a weightclass and potentially lifting less in order to win.

LtL
LtL is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,552,941, Level: 100 Points: 1,552,941, Level: 100 Points: 1,552,941, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I was able to get pretty strong after my come back to the iron in 2007. I lost 50 pounds during this time. before that point I trained a long time lean (under 220), and was able to get very strong doing so. But I did eat aggressively - I just had a fast metabolism.

The 2 times in my old age I allowed myself to eat aggressively I made amazing progress on my lifts.

My goal right now is to get into the 220s and eat aggressively using Paleo. I'm hoping it is a good combination for me.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
SqeezeMasterFlash
SqeezeMasterFlash
Getting healthy, one deadlift at a time
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SqeezeMasterFlash is off to a bad start

I like the old John McCallum quote, that all the fat in the world doesn't have the strength to pull a sick hen off a nest. So for me, if I had fat to spare and would be more competitive in a lower weight class, why not drop the fat? 30 days of watching what you eat will not kill your strength.
SqeezeMasterFlash is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook