Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
abett07
abett07
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts
Default can a beginner lose fat and gain muscle ?

can a beginner lose fat and gain muscle at the same time ?

a number of articles and the book say that this can be done but too me
this just defies logic
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
big valsalva
big valsalva
going to deadlift the world
Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
My Mood: Cheerful
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Depends on one's bodytype. An obese person would probably have a better chance of pulling this off than a skinny person.

Pretty tough to do. Impossible? I don't know. Not very likely though. Think about it. You're having to fight two conflicting battles at once. Hopefully others will chime in, but my experience says, "No."

Probably as a beginner, you should concern yourself with getting as strong as possible. If you're eating properly, this will undoubtedly lead to weight gain. And yes, some of that weight will be fat. But if you're getting stronger, some of that weight gain will be muscle. Muscle, being an active tissue, needs calories to survive and grow. Some of those calories will come from stored fat. The (perhaps oversimplified) takeaway is: the more active muscle tissue, the easier it is to lose the accumulated fat.

Now, all that being said, you don't HAVE to turn into a tub of goo, like yours truly. A sound and consistant lifting program combined with a SENSIBLE hyper-caloric diet, and even moderate cardio exercise should keep fat gain to a minimum.

For a beginner, though I still say to lift and eat to grow. Maybe leave the beach body for next summer. To qoute Rippetoe, "What's the use of having a six-pack unless you have a chest to put it in?"

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2011, 12:58 AM   #3
Abaddon
Abaddon
is scrutinising your form
Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
My Mood: Devilish
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Vasalva makes some good points.

This is not the same for everybody, but if you are overweight and young, starting a regular hypertrophy routine that sees you in the gym for an hour, 3-4 days a week is going to assist you to lose fat, while building muscle at the same time. As long as your diet is in order

As always, diet is essential here. If an overweight person can keep their calories at the same level as they always have been, effects will be slow and difficult to see right away. And of course, if the individual is eating a crappy diet, results of any kind will never be optimal.

But with a high protein, low carb, properly calculated diet, a beginner can see quite dramatic results in terms of losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously.

Losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time is called 'beginner gains' for those with less than a year or so of training and/or who are young. When veterans and oldies try and do it, it's called 're-comping' and it's a slow, steady process where - once again - diet is absolutely key.

Hope this helps.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2011, 04:27 AM   #4
Carl1174
Carl1174
is trying to take the first step in a long road back...
Max Brawn
Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77 Points: 14,417, Level: 77
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 3-4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Bashful
Carl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machineCarl1174 is a lifting machine

Yes you can build muscle an lose fat, muscle growth is also to do with a positive nitrogen/protein balance as well as an abundance of calories. Plus as you start the body will use almost all the extra calories to build tghe muscle as this will be more important to it than holding on to fat.

In addition to this, the more muscle you have the higher your metabolism whilst resting which means that fat will also be burnt, also as the muscle grows even if the fat remains constant then bf% (which is what makes you look fat or not) will also reduce, giving the appearance of losing fat whilst gaining muscle.

Its not easy obvuiously, but if you are young and just starting then there is no reason why this shouldnt happen naturally, for a while at least, as long as, like people have said, DIET is in check.

Carl.
Carl1174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2011, 05:57 AM   #5
Szelago
Szelago
120 lbs LOST!!!
44 yr bulk phase complete
Max Brawn
Points: 2,936, Level: 33 Points: 2,936, Level: 33 Points: 2,936, Level: 33
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 1yr since coming back
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Leg Press
Fav Supp: Thank god for elastamine!
My Mood: Inspired
Szelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributorSzelago is a consistent contributor

I have to agree with Ab and Carl.
In fact, I have been doing just that for three years now.
You will have to find that sweet spot in your macro ratios and a training program that works for you. And these will change over time.
You will lose fat slower and gain muscle slower than if you were to focus on just one of those goals alone, but it can be done.

In the mirror of adversity we see what we are truly made of.
Szelago is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,480,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,480,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,480,642, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post
can a beginner lose fat and gain muscle at the same time ?

a number of articles and the book say that this can be done but too me
this just defies logic
It is very difficult to do. Most experienced lifters will tell you it's near impossible because the average trainee can't figure out how to train hard enough to build muscle. To me the diet is the easy part. But getting someone to train right is a bigger problem.

Beginners can make incredible muscle gains their first two years of training if they focus on simple programs with basic lifts, and on the most important thing...progression. They must push themselves on every set for more reps, and add weight when possible. A beginning trainee can handle rapid progression.

If progression is half-hearted, gains will be minimal.

Diet. 35 to 40 grams of protein every 2.5 to 3 hours. 20-30% of your calories from fats. Fill in the gaps with carbs. This is merely a starting point. There are many factors that can change things, especially age and insulin sensitivity.

Calories will come down to age, metabolism and other factors. You start with a number based on the above factors. Say 2300 if you are in your late 30's or maybe 2500-2800 if you are 18-21. You start and then adjust so you aren't losing weight too rapidly.

Even with everything perfect, you still might not be able to do both. There are many guys in gyms who just can't stay consistent with their eating.

You have to be perfect with your eating and perfect with progression of weight. That's your best shot.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-28-2011 at 07:49 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
abett07
abett07
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts

thanks for the feedback

My goal is to build muscle/strength while at the same time keep my my current fat levels the same.I actualy dont want to lose any fat
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,480,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,480,642, Level: 100 Points: 1,480,642, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
thanks for the feedback

My goal is to build muscle/strength while at the same time keep my my current fat levels the same.I actualy dont want to lose any fat
That will function pretty much the same way as trying to build and lose.

It's easy enough to build and add very little, as in 5-10 pounds of fat. Building and not gaining will require some precision. Pretty much all building does unless someone is a genetic freak.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #9
Nat60s
Nat60s
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 168, Level: 3 Points: 168, Level: 3 Points: 168, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Anything for thechest
Fav Supp: NA
Nat60s is off to a bad start

Quote:
thanks for the feedback

You are most likely not a bodybuilder, since they are would like to lose fat. What's your sport?
Nat60s is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #10
Relentl3ss
Relentl3ss
has no status.
Banned

Relentl3ss Relentl3ss Relentl3ss Relentl3ss Relentl3ss Relentl3ss Relentl3ss Relentl3ss Relentl3ss Relentl3ss Relentl3ss

I believe losing fat and gaining muscle when you are a beginner is possible depending on how solid your diet is.
Relentl3ss is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook