Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements > Low Carb & Paleo Diet

Notices

Low Carb & Paleo Diet A forum to discuss low carb and Paleo diet easting approaches.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
Mombow111
Mombow111
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,550, Level: 22 Points: 1,550, Level: 22 Points: 1,550, Level: 22
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good posts
Default Sleep improvements

Am I alone here. I've recently cut out carbs, started eating a stricter diet (12 eggs, 2 scoops of protein, normandy blend veggies, and about 2 lbs of skinned chicken per day), thrown in 1 session of cardio per day (20-40 mins) and have noticed a marked improvement in sleep.

Not to say my diet was shit before, only difference was I was eating in excess and having 2-3 cups of oatmeal ever day usually with some bananas or sugar. But my sleep patterns were absolutely abhorrent (waking up every 60-90 minutes) until a couple days ago when I made the switch. Anyone else notice any changes in their own lives?
Mombow111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

What's your fat intake like? What percentage of your overall calories are coming from fat? There's a strong chance you are undereating fat, relying too heavily on protein, and your body wants you to feed and won't let you sleep properly.

I have been doing Paleo-style for 2+ weeks and as long as my fats are 50-60%+ I sleep great and am rarely hungry, or rarely have cravings.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I forgot to mention that the first few nights can be rough as your body adjusts, even with plenty of fat.

Find ways to add almonds, butter, ground beef that isn't lean, etc. Get that fat count up.

Low carbs with low fat won't work well. I failed miserably the first time because I still feared fat. I've currently lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks eating a diet with 50-60%+ fat.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-16-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
Mombow111
Mombow111
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,550, Level: 22 Points: 1,550, Level: 22 Points: 1,550, Level: 22

Mombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good posts

Sorry for the confusion, I was saying that I believe low carb dieting has actually improved my sleep (maybe I'm a meat type)... I dunno if its the calorie deficit that's responsible or if maybe the grains I were eatting were having some negative effects on my self but now I'm only waking up once or twice a night (which is very very nice).

To answer your question about fat intake, besides for the 2 scoops of protein (which I just started doing yesterday), I eat my dozen eggs in the morning with a table spoon or so of butter. And after the gym the chicken I eat is probably the fattiest chicken quarters money can buy (I get the bulk pack from costco) so I think I'm pretty good on fat intake (prob 60% but I don't fear fat whatsoever).

One question I have though pertains to fiber supplementation. I was wondering whether psyllium husk would be a good source and how to eat it (should I just drink some before or after ever meal?)
Mombow111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
BigFiveFive
BigFiveFive
is getting huge-er-er
White Mamba
Max Brawn
Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39

Training Exp: 3
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows
Fav Supp: AMS Pump Fixx
BigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributor

Yeah cutting carbs while fats are still low will cause some terrible sleep, prep was horrible.

Answer- More masturbation/sex/fats.

srs

Get your Fixx at the Muscle and Strength store!
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/sto...e-science.html

Or our online store!
www.advancedmusclescience.com

Don't talk about it, Be about it
!

TEAM THOR!
BigFiveFive is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

So sorry man! I misread that. I am blasted tired and haven't slept much. My apologies.

This Paleo approach is working great for me as well. Fat!

Share with Facebook