Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,471,376, Level: 100 Points: 1,471,376, Level: 100 Points: 1,471,376, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default BTB's Muscle and Strength Books You Must Read

The muscle magazines do a good job of messing up your head. They make you believe that volume workouts are the only solution to muscle building, and that 5-6 day splits are the only way lifters have ever trained.

As a beginner, you owe it to yourself to read these books. They are classics, and are written by experienced natural coaches. These books promote simple, basic and effective training.

It is up to you how you train. We must all learn our bodies and evolve training to fit our needs. This thread does not exist to promote any style of training. It exists to educate you on mainstream training ideas that you may never have heard about.

Purchase these books, study these books and try the workouts in these books. They will help you much more then any muscle mag routine or article.

Real Strength Real Muscle

by John Christy

Real Strength Real Muscle - Remembering John

Brawn, 3rd Edition

by Stuart McRobert

Amazon.com: Brawn, 3rd Edition (9789963916313): Stuart McRobert: Books Amazon.com: Brawn, 3rd Edition (9789963916313): Stuart McRobert: Books

Weight Training Technique

by Stuart McRobert

Amazon.com: Insider's Tell-All Handbook on Weight-Training Technique: Illustrated Step-by-step Guide to Perfecting Your Exercise Form for Injury-free Maximum Gains, 3rd Edition (9789963916320): Stuart McRobert: Books Amazon.com: Insider's Tell-All Handbook on Weight-Training Technique: Illustrated Step-by-step Guide to Perfecting Your Exercise Form for Injury-free Maximum Gains, 3rd Edition (9789963916320): Stuart McRobert: Books

Starting Strength

by Mark Rippetoe

Amazon.com: Starting Strength (2nd edition) (9780976805427): Mark Rippetoe, Lon Kilgore: Books Amazon.com: Starting Strength (2nd edition) (9780976805427): Mark Rippetoe, Lon Kilgore: Books

Never Let Go

by Dan John

Amazon.com: Never Let Go: A Philosophy of Lifting, Living and Learning (9781931046381): Dan John, Pavel Tsatsouline, Dave Draper: Books Amazon.com: Never Let Go: A Philosophy of Lifting, Living and Learning (9781931046381): Dan John, Pavel Tsatsouline, Dave Draper: Books

Super Squats

by Randall Strossen

Amazon.com: Super Squats: How to Gain 30 Pounds of Muscle in 6 Weeks (9780926888005): Randall J. Strossen (Ph.D.): Books Amazon.com: Super Squats: How to Gain 30 Pounds of Muscle in 6 Weeks (9780926888005): Randall J. Strossen (Ph.D.): Books

The Complete Keys to Progress

by John McCallum

Amazon.com: THE Complete Keys to Progress (9780926888012): John McCallum: Books Amazon.com: THE Complete Keys to Progress (9780926888012): John McCallum: Books

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-19-2010 at 09:05 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
dmaipa
dmaipa
focused and ready
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Inspired
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

thats a good list of books there BTB

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,471,376, Level: 100 Points: 1,471,376, Level: 100 Points: 1,471,376, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaipa View Post
thats a good list of books there BTB
Thanks D. There are many, many more books I could have added. But I believe if a beginner spends $100 on these books before they purchase any supplements or muscle mag subscriptions, they will place themselves light years ahead of the pack.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
BigFiveFive
BigFiveFive
is getting huge-er-er
White Mamba
Max Brawn
Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39 Points: 3,891, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Barbell Rows
Fav Supp: AMS Pump Fixx
BigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributorBigFiveFive is a dedicated contributor

once i get my kindle....
BigFiveFive is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
#Maverick#
#Maverick#
IS Down4daCause
Mental State Is Zenlike
Max Brawn
Points: 3,352, Level: 36 Points: 3,352, Level: 36 Points: 3,352, Level: 36
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: About 8 Months
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: MILK
My Mood: Cool
#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts

good list what about the encyclopedia of modern body building i can provide a pdf of it which i got on my pc
#Maverick# is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

One of the things I am attempting to do is to provide some books that are an alternative to modern bodybuilding split/volume-based training. I don't include volume based books simply because they are already mainstream. I am not saying don't do splits - not by any means.

Most trainees have easy access to the 20 sets per bodypart programs, but they have never seen a 20 rep squat program, a fullbody approach, etc.

One thing they often don't understand is that there is an alternative, and an effective one - especially for beginners. That's what I am hoping to accomplish with this list.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-20-2010 at 08:09 AM.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
#Maverick#
#Maverick#
IS Down4daCause
Mental State Is Zenlike
Max Brawn
Points: 3,352, Level: 36 Points: 3,352, Level: 36 Points: 3,352, Level: 36
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: About 8 Months
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: MILK
My Mood: Cool
#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
One of the things I am attempting to do is to provide some books that are an alternative to modern bodybuilding split/volume-based training. I don't include volume based books simply because they are already mainstream. I am not saying don't do splits - not by any means.

Most trainees have easy access to the 20 sets per bodypart programs, but they have never seen a 20 rep squat program, a fullbody approach, etc.

One thing they often don't understand is that there is an alternative, and an effective one - especially for beginners. That's what I am hoping to accomplish with this list.
o i see man
#Maverick# is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2011, 12:58 AM   #8
Telpelin
Telpelin
has no status.
Body-Builder
Points: 141, Level: 2 Points: 141, Level: 2 Points: 141, Level: 2
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: Starting Fresh
Fav Exercise: Pec Fly
Fav Supp: Dunno yet
Telpelin is off to a bad start

i love to read, so...this should be right up my alley. God-willing I can find them for cheap or something...
Telpelin is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telpelin View Post
i love to read, so...this should be right up my alley. God-willing I can find them for cheap or something...
I have most of them. If you want to read one I can send it your way.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2010, 01:07 AM   #10
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 33,272, Level: 100 Points: 33,272, Level: 100 Points: 33,272, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Good post steve

Share with Facebook