Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > General Fitness & Health

Notices

General Fitness & Health Discuss general fitness. conditioning and health topics.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,469,713, Level: 100 Points: 1,469,713, Level: 100 Points: 1,469,713, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Pros/Cons of Home & Gym Training

Writing an article on the pros and cons of home AND gym training. Want to here what you think.

For example, pro of gym training is more available equipment.

Con of home training is that there is no spotter.

Con of home training, workouts can take longer because you need to switch dumbbells, etc (unless you have a ton of equipment).

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
afraziaaaa
afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

Pros of home training:

No recurring cost outside of equipment purchases.

Can train anytime you want/need.

No rules to follow/no one else to consider except the people you live with.

Play whatever music you want.

No distractions.

You cut down drive time to the gym. If you are a parent of a young child, you don't have to leave the house or have someone else watch your kid(s).

Cons of home training:

Limited Space.

Have to purchase/build your own equipment.

Pros of gym training:

Supportive environment (in the right gym).

I think that's all I've got for now.

Gym PRs:
Raw w/wraps
650/455/635

My current log:
http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums...494#post458494
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
jrodt12
jrodt12
Slow and steady
Brawn
Points: 765, Level: 14 Points: 765, Level: 14 Points: 765, Level: 14
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 1
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Bicep curls... Obviously
Fav Supp: Meat
My Mood: Relaxed
jrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good posts

Well as I've said before the best thing about training at home is I'm always the biggest strongest guy in my gym

The downside is I usually do not have a spotter, and when I do it's my 110 lb fiancée.
jrodt12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 13,461, Level: 75 Points: 13,461, Level: 75 Points: 13,461, Level: 75
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I don't have much time, so I may be back later to add more.

Actually, I find my sessions at home take less time. I don't have to worry about having what I need, and I never have to worry about finding alternative movements if the equipment I want isn't available.

Home gym pros-

MUSIC. music music music. I've never been to a gym where I could listen to NOFX without stupid headphones on.

No one ever wants to work in.

Air guitar/drums whever I feel like it without scaring the crossfit/cardio bunnies

Chains. I has them.

Chalk. Some gyms don't like it. I don't have to worry about it.

Oh, did I forget to put on a shirt? No worries.

Cons are pretty obvious. Not having access to machines is fine and even preferable most of the time, but machines can be very helpful to have when you really need them.

I'm extremely lucky. I have a totally workable home gym, but since I'm at an Army base I also have access to a number of gyms, including a functional fitness gym with bands, chalk, bumper plates and Oly platforms, and a traditional bodybuilding gym with tons of machines. I've actually done part of a session at one gym, then gone to another gym to complete the session. I'm gonna be really bummed when I have to pay for a membership at a single gym. But I won't be that bummed, because I'll be out of the Army.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
syn
syn
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,831, Level: 39 Points: 3,831, Level: 39 Points: 3,831, Level: 39
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
My Mood: Buzzed
syn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machine

for me its mostly pros

I like not having to wait around for people to finish with equipment

I can train before or after work without adding travel time to my day

I can eat straight after training if I want.

the only con that is really cold in winter, as my home gym is under a shelter outdoors

Last edited by syn; 03-10-2014 at 12:31 PM.
syn is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
JumpmanRugs
JumpmanRugs
I work, you sleep!
Max Brawn
Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squat / Deadlift
Fav Supp: Motivation
My Mood: Happy
JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Home gym pros-

MUSIC. music music music. I've never been to a gym where I could listen to NOFX without stupid headphones on.

No one ever wants to work in.

Air guitar/drums whever I feel like it without scaring the crossfit/cardio bunnies

Chains. I has them.

Chalk. Some gyms don't like it. I don't have to worry about it.
Membership please?

Can i has induction? (Not srs)
JumpmanRugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #7
moeheep
moeheep
wants a 900lb Total
Max Brawn
Points: 9,200, Level: 64 Points: 9,200, Level: 64 Points: 9,200, Level: 64
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
My Mood: Amazed
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

Pro - You can curl in the squat rack!

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I may have less than minimal equipment, no rack etc, but I can do whatever the hell exercises I like without being told "we don't allow exercises: x, y, z,..."

Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #9
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78 Points: 14,731, Level: 78
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

The pro versus con of either is double edged sword. You can look at one persons pro list and it will contain many items that are a con to somebody else. That said I prefer home training.

My pro's include many of the items already talked about in regard to home training.

An aspect that wasn't mentioned is that I have a limited selection of equipment as compared to a gym with all sorts of shiny machines. This to me is a Pro aspect of training at home. Having a limited amount of equipment makes me work on a more basic level and utilize core moves.

Not having a spotter is both good and bad. Not having a spotter means that I have to pay attention to whether or not I can finish a rep that might put me in a bad situation should I fail. Trng to failure is not an important aspect to me so all is good in that regard.

Not waiting for equipment is a HUGE issue for me, and trng at home allows me to get in and get out on my own terms faster. Having eqpt at home does take up some space but it isnt a big issue.

I don't play music anymore while I lift, and I've found the quiet to be a very good thing. I missed it at first, but after a few weeks the quiet allowed me to hear an inner voice that was being drowned out. Now I relish the quiet, and the alone time to be with my own thoughts.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #10
EliteDreams
EliteDreams
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
Moderation is for cowards
Max Brawn
Points: 12,186, Level: 72 Points: 12,186, Level: 72 Points: 12,186, Level: 72
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Training Exp: Started 5/2/11
Fav Exercise: PRs
Fav Supp: Steak
My Mood: Asleep
EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!EliteDreams is one with Crom!

Some of these will add to what Syn and Gl said.

Home gym pros

No distractions. I can breath heavy and roll my eyes back and grit my teeth, and when I look up there aren't a bunch of kids staring at me like wtf.

Not having a spotter has made it so I havent went for maxes on bench, which im horrible for doing too often, but its not hindered me at all.

Yeah its cold outside or heavy rain stops me, and I have to pay up front for equipment, but all I need is my bar and plates.

The gates of hell have been unlocked, headstones pushed aside!
EliteDreams is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook