Muscle and Brawn Forums
 

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
kman025
kman025
out of shape :)
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
kman025's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 4,829
My Mood: Daring
Reputation: 26022
kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine


Default Linear progression

How long can people usually maintian linear progression? in other words what lifts should will a person typically have before they no longer can maintain linear progression?

i know its different for everybody, but for myself.

im 5' 8", 160-165 lbs, AGE: 15. What lifts should i aim for? (obviously ill ride it out as long as possible)
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
__________________
I <3 front squats
kman025 is offline   Reply With Quote


Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
 
BendtheBar's Avatar
 
Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 79,095
Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
Reputation: 2480483
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default

Well, if you start using percentages, and do 8-16 week+ linear progressions, you can probably add weight for quite a long time.

But, Kman...you're going up the ranks quickly. If I were you I would AVOID LP and just keep it simple and focus on moar. I really think you have quite a bit of potential as a powerlifter. Might as well climb the ladder as fast as possible while your body feels good.

__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."


BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote


Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
kman025
kman025
out of shape :)
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
kman025's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 4,829
My Mood: Daring
Reputation: 26022
kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine


Default

ok, i think i have no fucking clue what liner progression is.

i thought it was just adding 5 lbs to the bar every workout.....

thats what i meant.


I plan to ride this out for as long as possible.

I was just wondering how high people normally go on adding 5 lbs a week.


Also- i sure as hell hope i have a future in PL. not to be a world record setter or anything, but just a strong as "motha fucka" and compete and do decent.
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
__________________
I <3 front squats
kman025 is offline   Reply With Quote


Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
Grim83
Grim83
has no status.
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Grim83's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: alabama
Posts: 1,597
My Mood: Crappy
Reputation: 14693
Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
ok, i think i have no fucking clue what liner progression is.

i thought it was just adding 5 lbs to the bar every workout.....

thats what i meant.


I plan to ride this out for as long as possible.

I was just wondering how high people normally go on adding 5 lbs a week.


Also- i sure as hell hope i have a future in PL. not to be a world record setter or anything, but just a strong as "motha fucka" and compete and do decent.
on an somewhat unrelated note, what is your total at
User owns 1x Super Squats
__________________
It isn't that they cant see the solution.
It is that they cant see the problem.
-G.K. Chesterton

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote


Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
kman025
kman025
out of shape :)
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
kman025's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 4,829
My Mood: Daring
Reputation: 26022
kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
on an somewhat unrelated note, what is your total at
Squat- 255x5 (im guessing 290-300 max) *255 felt easyish last time?
Bench-200 probably 205 now because my 5 rep has gone up since then.
Deadlift- 355x1 or 315x5

Estimated Total- 845-860


the thing is though, the way ive been making progress, if things go half i as good as they have been i should get a 900 toal within a month or two and then 1000 in a few months!

I just did the math for 900 and it should come VERY soon. i just added new assistance work, and it seems like a afterburner for my big 3's progression.
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
__________________
I <3 front squats
kman025 is offline   Reply With Quote


Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
Grim83
Grim83
has no status.
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Grim83's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: alabama
Posts: 1,597
My Mood: Crappy
Reputation: 14693
Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
Squat- 255x5 (im guessing 290-300 max) *255 felt easyish last time?
Bench-200 probably 205 now because my 5 rep has gone up since then.
Deadlift- 355x1 or 315x5

Estimated Total- 845-860


the thing is though, the way ive been making progress, if things go half i as good as they have been i should get a 900 toal within a month or two and then 1000 in a few months!

I just did the math for 900 and it should come VERY soon. i just added new assistance work, and it seems like a afterburner for my big 3's progression.
yeah dude if you compete in the raw division for your age and weight class you should win easy, and possibly set a state record
User owns 1x Super Squats
__________________
It isn't that they cant see the solution.
It is that they cant see the problem.
-G.K. Chesterton

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote


Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
 
BendtheBar's Avatar
 
Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 79,095
Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
Reputation: 2480483
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
ok, i think i have no fucking clue what liner progression is.

i thought it was just adding 5 lbs to the bar every workout.....
Yes, you're right. I was talking about 16 week periodization approaches, and not linear progression. I'm a bit tired tonight, so I apologize.

Stalls happen, but very few people top out using linear progression. Sometimes a stall comes from faulty program design, like doing pussy tricep work (excuse the expression) instead of heavy tricep work, or focusing on laterals for shoulders instead of beefy shoulder movements.

When stalls come hardcore from LP, it's time to try new approaches to the same beast - if you want to stick with LP, that is.

There are a billion ways to approach LP. Look at how simple the Hepburn method is.

Some stalls are good for the body. Maybe tendons and ligaments need some time to strengthen before weight can be added. Sometimes strength comes with age. I got insanely strong on the bench at the age of 30 from doing nothing but being older.

My whole point in this is that LP is different for everyone, and can be ridden for a very long time. That doesn't mean we can't switch to Wendlers, Westside, whatever. Play around is good.

For me - (me, and maybe not for you) - LP has always been the best. Honestly, I've not stalled yet using LP if I keep at it. All of my stalls have come from getting away from LP and playing around too much with new routines. Again, some playing is good...but too much tinkering is a surefire way to 'eff up progression.

Pick a horse and ride it for 4-6 months.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."


BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote


Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
kman025
kman025
out of shape :)
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
kman025's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: OHIO
Posts: 4,829
My Mood: Daring
Reputation: 26022
kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Yes, you're right. I was talking about 16 week periodization approaches, and not linear progression. I'm a bit tired tonight, so I apologize.

Stalls happen, but very few people top out using linear progression. Sometimes a stall comes from faulty program design, like doing pussy tricep work (excuse the expression) instead of heavy tricep work, or focusing on laterals for shoulders instead of beefy shoulder movements.

When stalls come hardcore from LP, it's time to try new approaches to the same beast - if you want to stick with LP, that is.

There are a billion ways to approach LP. Look at how simple the Hepburn method is.

Some stalls are good for the body. Maybe tendons and ligaments need some time to strengthen before weight can be added. Sometimes strength comes with age. I got insanely strong on the bench at the age of 30 from doing nothing but being older.

My whole point in this is that LP is different for everyone, and can be ridden for a very long time. That doesn't mean we can't switch to Wendlers, Westside, whatever. Play around is good.

For me - (me, and maybe not for you) - LP has always been the best. Honestly, I've not stalled yet using LP if I keep at it. All of my stalls have come from getting away from LP and playing around too much with new routines. Again, some playing is good...but too much tinkering is a surefire way to 'eff up progression.

Pick a horse and ride it for 4-6 months.
alright man.

thanks alot makes sense. ill try to ride this out. i think after a while im just going to get bored and switch to 5/3/1 and similar things just to do some low rep stuff.
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)
__________________
I <3 front squats
kman025 is offline   Reply With Quote


Share with Facebook
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
linear, progression


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linear, Undulating and Nonlinear Programming: Which to Choose? BendtheBar Articles 0 01-19-2012 08:24 AM
Joe Ohrablo's Non-Linear Periodization Training BendtheBar Muscle Building and Bodybuilding 2 10-31-2011 09:33 AM
bas781 - Linear Progression bas781 Training Logs 126 10-21-2010 12:05 PM
Non-Linear Periodization BendtheBar Muscle Building and Bodybuilding 2 02-19-2010 11:03 PM
Linear Periodization vs. Reverse Linear Periodization BendtheBar Powerlifting & Strength Training 0 07-06-2009 10:23 AM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.