Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
syn
syn
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,196, Level: 34 Points: 3,196, Level: 34 Points: 3,196, Level: 34
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
My Mood: Buzzed
syn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machine
Default low fat = chemical sh!tstorm

I have seen this meme posted around the web
& I have heard that some lot fat butter spread are as bad as eating a plastic bag because of their chemical content.

How true is this?

Surely low fat milk & cheese cant be that bad?

what are your thought & opinions on this?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	11894  
syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

It's usually true. Most of these foods are processed and contain extra crap. At minimum, most fat foods add sweeteners, and most low sugar foods add junk oils. Generally it's far worse than this thouygh.

I won't get low-fat sour cream, for example. Why add in 5 more ingredients? Fat intake is not inherently evil, and if I need to control calories I will eat less sour cream.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn View Post
I have seen this meme posted around the web
& I have heard that some lot fat butter spread are as bad as eating a plastic bag because of their chemical content.

How true is this?

Surely low fat milk & cheese cant be that bad?

what are your thought & opinions on this?
Low fat usually means higher sugar and/or salt content to add flavour that has been removed with the fat reduction.

And, is it low fat milk that is actually a blue in colour because of the fat removal and has to be then made white by the addition of a chemical, the same stuff they add to emulsion (yep) to make it white again so that people will drink it; the full fat milk, on the other hand is white and needs no additional whitener.

It's a while since I read that, so feel free to check it up online.

But yes, overall, the more natural and less messed with stuff is much better.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Continuing the sour cream example, here is a look at the ingredients in regular sour cream, low fat sour cream, and fat free sour cream:

Quote:
Regular’s Ingredients [3 of them]:
Cultured pasteurized grade A cream and milk, enzymes.

Low-Fat’s Ingredients [12]:
Cultured Milk, Cream, Nonfat Dry Milk, Whey, Modified Corn Starch, Sodium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Calcium Sulfate, Locust Bean Gum, Gelatin, Vitamin A Palmitate.

Fat Free’s Ingredients [12]:
Cultured Lowfat Milk, Modified Corn Starch,Whey Protein Concentrate, Propylene Glycol Monoester, Artificial Color, Gelatin, Sodium Phosphate, Agar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Citrate, Locust Bean Gum, Vitamin A Palmitate.

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

There's one other thing to remember with ingredients; they have an opt-out clause as long as a chemical agent is considered as part of the manufacturing process (? or another term equal to it), they do not have to include it on the label at all...and many use that to get around informing the general public of all the stuff that is in the product and some of that stuff would have people turn away in disgust.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
There's one other thing to remember with ingredients; they have an opt-out clause as long as a chemical agent is considered as part of the manufacturing process (? or another term equal to it), they do not have to include it on the label at all...and many use that to get around informing the general public of all the stuff that is in the product and some of that stuff would have people turn away in disgust.
The mechanical process, I think is the term they use.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Didn't know that. So the more processed it is, the more potential chemical agents that might come into play.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Didn't know that. So the more processed it is, the more potential chemical agents that might come into play.
Oh yeah, they have so many loopholes they use to their advantage, it's astounding; this one was news to me, a year ago, I'd never heard of it prior to that...saw it on a TV exposure type program.

They can also omit to inform people, on the label, if a food contains trans fats etc, if that trans fat content is below a set percentage, for one product that's 4%...I did some research on it, after hearing about it; the funny thing is, it may not be on the label, however go to the website of the company and check out Q&As and other areas and there you find the real info on the content...for some products, at least.

Some of this may depend on the country as well but I was surprised to see it happening here because I really didn't expect it.

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:

They can also omit to inform people, on the label, if a food contains trans fats etc, if that trans fat content is below a set percentage, for one product that's 4%...
iWill wrote an article on that at Nutrition Beast. Don't have it handy but I learned a lot.

Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
syn
syn
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 3,196, Level: 34 Points: 3,196, Level: 34 Points: 3,196, Level: 34
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
My Mood: Buzzed
syn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machine

thats insane, Well I finish my low fat cottage cheese - Em going back onto full fat.
Ill see if I can dig up Iwill's article
syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook